What's new
What's new

Looking for recommendations on skates. 7-10T, low profile and works!

huleo

Hot Rolled
So I have another thread in the general section. Didn't realize this one. My bad. We need to move some machining centers around. Been doing it for 20yrs by borrowing skates. Time to just get some. In that time, I have tried several types as well as seen others used. Like to see what you guys like?

My biggest peeves have been the height of skates and them wanting to wonder off. We move high investment machines and want to do our best to keep them safe, but I guess in 20+yrs, we have never had an accident, but we also have a LOT of helpers watching things.

I hate the tank style!
I drooled over them at first, but have come to hate them.

As you said - they are too tall, and will tilt, and fret up the concrete.

Better to git the lower ones with big rolls.

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox, when you say "tank style" are you talking about those tracking chain types?

Yup, have used those plenty. Not a fan but we have made them work. We have to keep eyes on every one so they don't do strange things.

For low profile its hard to beat 1 1/2 diameter solid round stock. Whatever height you choose, you need hardwood blocking to match along with hardwood wedges.

Caster type skates have their place, and work great in certain situations. Only down side with them is once you get past around 10,000 lbs it gets to be too much to guide by hand. The great part about them, if you have a forklift to at least pick up one end, you can put the caster skates on the other end and it will go wherever the forklift points it. It’s like having fork extensions and a bigger capacity forklift.

Back