What's new
What's new

Looking for TOS S28 Lathe manual...

dakeddie

Plastic
Hi,

I bought this lathe a couple weeks ago...

It's a TOS S28. 13"x40". Just finished running the wire from the transformer yesterday.

I'm wondering though, does anyone have the manual for this lathe? I would be extremely grateful to obtain a copy somehow.

I specifically need to know what the headstock oil capacity is, but will need the manual in the future when I rebuild the thing.

Many thanks!

Wow that looks like my old lathe!!!

Hello
That looks Like my old lathe. I got rid of it because the lack of correct change gears. I got it with chains and sprockets instead of the correct change gears. I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is I have the manual and I PDF it. It is a TOS czech lathe 1958~1959. The bad news is the manual is in czech. If it was my old lathe I think it is, I did change the oil in it. With some cheap 32 hydraulic oil after draining and cleaning with kerosene. The oil that was in there was like molasses. I bought better oil but sold the lathe before changing it out. It takes around 2.5 gallons of oil! anyway PM with and email address and I will send the manual to you. Good luck on finding gears particularly the 127 tooth. When I was looking for gears I think one of the places that sold the correct gears is in CANADA.
Cheers

Hey Schwartzer,

Just sent you a pm... Thanks again!

It does look like it will take around 2.5gal of oil for sure.

Last edited:
Tos S28 Lathe

I recently bought the same model lathe and I would be interested in how you have found its performance. At the moment in the middle of a complete strip-down to tidy up, paint, replace the broken control bakelite handles,
make up data plates etc.
Have you managed to find a manual. I have a copy in English which came with the lathe to New Zealand in 1963 if you are interested?
So far I am very impressed with how well the basic machine is built, wonderful engineering.
Cheers
Rob

Tos Manual

Hi Rob , I have the same 1963 Lathe and are very interesred in getting hold of a English Manual . Please help

I recently bought the same model lathe and I would be interested in how you have found its performance. At the moment in the middle of a complete strip-down to tidy up, paint, replace the broken control bakelite handles,
make up data plates etc.
Have you managed to find a manual. I have a copy in English which came with the lathe to New Zealand in 1963 if you are interested?
So far I am very impressed with how well the basic machine is built, wonderful engineering.
Cheers
Rob
Rob1937 - Have now completed stripping, painting and polishing the S28. Now in place and up and running. So far have completed one or two small jobs and it is certainly a very user friendly machine to operate BUT very noisy. I am surprised and disappointed. The noise appears to be in the gearwheel drive between motor and the upper spindle. I suspected at first the motor bearings but after having replaced these 90% of the noise remained. No noticeable difference in noise when the spindle is engaged. Must be in the gear-train drive coming off the motor but is this normal in these machines? Would appreciate any advice regarding the problem.
As regards oil content the 2.5 gallon figure as suggested by two contributors on this page is correct. It is a surprising amount of oil but that's what it takes.
The photo of the spindle speeds chart, and the labels front of the Norton gear-box, were made up using an electrolytic etching process working off computer generated templates. If anyone would like a copy of the actual templates I would be happy to send them as well as information how the etching process can be carried out.
Cheers
Rob

Lammie did u find an english manual for your TOS S28 yet?
if not perhaps i can help

Hi.

I've just stumbled upon this thread in my search to identify my lathe. I'm glad to finally know what the lathe is and I'm interested to get hold of a manual - especially if it's in English!

Can you , or anyone else assist?

Back