What's new
What's new

Looking to get into a laser cutter

RDMEngi

Plastic
Saw those hobby ones like glow forge and xtool p2 but apparently they are over priced from the looks of it.

Then I saw a thread where people mentioned ohmtec. I’m looking at the

MF1220-50R - 50W CO2 LASER ENGRAVER CUTTING MACHINE 12” X 20” WITH ROTARY AXIS​

I work with cncs already and willing to learn lightforge. Is there a reason these machines are more affordable than the nice looking hobby machines? Could I mark metal parts for companies with this?

I got an 80 watt 39"x16" CO2 laser from redsail for $2300 all in. I like it a lot, and I use lightburn with it. Builders of higher priced machines generally just market a lot more.

These definitely are hobby level machines.

The only lasers (essentially) that will mark metal are fiber galvo lasers.

I got an 80 watt 39"x16" CO2 laser from redsail for $2300 all in. I like it a lot, and I use lightburn with it. Builders of higher priced machines generally just market a lot more.

How was the financing/payments on that?

Assuming you're not going to be working with metal which is why you're looking at CO2 lasers vs fiber.

The big difference between the name brand expensive lasers is glass water cooled DC powered tubes (cheap china ones) vs air cooled RF powered tubes (epilog, trotech, universal laser). If you're just cutting it probably doesn't make a difference. Supposedly RF has better adjustability for things like engraving raster images. I bought a 60w epilog because engraving was important to me but a cheap china one would probably do the same.

Then there's mid tier machines that use Chinese DC glass tubes but have better quality control and US based support so that's why you're paying a premium over something that came from say AliExpress.

If you want to mark metal parts in a relative small area and don't need to cut anything you probably want to be looking at a fiber laser with a galvo head vs a gantry setup. I've heard the Chinese ones are a pretty good bang for the money. If you go this route look into what MOPA is and decide if you need it.

CO2 lasers will mark through powder coating and anodizing but won't mark directly metal. You can however use products like ceracoat that will leave a mark when used with a CO2 laser. If you want to directly mark on metal you need a fiber laser which is a different wavelength than CO2.

lightburn is so easy to use - just took a class at my local maker space and worked out perfect

Assuming you're not going to be working with metal which is why you're looking at CO2 lasers vs fiber.

The big difference between the name brand expensive lasers is glass water cooled DC powered tubes (cheap china ones) vs air cooled RF powered tubes (epilog, trotech, universal laser). If you're just cutting it probably doesn't make a difference. Supposedly RF has better adjustability for things like engraving raster images. I bought a 60w epilog because engraving was important to me but a cheap china one would probably do the same.

Then there's mid tier machines that use Chinese DC glass tubes but have better quality control and US based support so that's why you're paying a premium over something that came from say AliExpress.
I don't personally believe the various rebranding and importing businesses actually do any special quality control. And given the excellent service I've received from the random chinese factories I have bought from, I don't see any advantage from buying from one of the name brand resellers, unless they have their own redesigned chassis or something. The main issue with all of these lasers is they are designed for cheapest parts cost and with minimal design time. I don't see any major players changing that until you get the the proper machines with the RF laser sources and enclosed beam paths and proper fume extraction and purge air systems.

We're on our second Boss CO2 laser, I think they're a decent value. You pay a bit more for US tech support and initial warrenty in case it's DOA, which may or may not be worth it to you over buying straight from Asia.

Back