What's new
What's new

Looking to upgrade my Autocad, need advice.

Thunderjet

Stainless
I currently run Autocad LT 2010 and I'm looking at purchasing Autocad LT 2023.

Do any of you all know of any big issues with a changeover to this software?
I've been using Autocad since1991, starting with release 11 and have managed to keep up with the upgrades so far.

I use it as a drafting program mostly and also for sending out DXF files for wire EDM work. All 2D.

I assume that the software still supports earlier versions and other Autodesk products, Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, it does support earlier versions just fine, except ...
Acad LT and all other Autodesk products are available strictly as rent-A-software only, no possibility to purchase.
But!
SInce it is ACAD LT you're asking for, there is absolutely no reason whatsoever why you couldn't just switch to another Autocad clone, perhaps BricsCAD.

Its time to get into the real world which is 3D. I switched from an AutoCAD clone about 20 years ago and have never looked back. I still use an AutoCAD clone for electrical drawings. My first 3D experience was Generic 3D which was amazing until AutoDesk nuked it. Then Rhino V2 which was a total convincer when I modelled a machine that I had started in 2D to find out part of the drive train was passing through the structure! Completely not visible in 2D and obvious in 3D. Then there is the virtually free top, bottom, side views that you don't redraw with every little change, so it is actually faster than 2D. Then I moved to SolidEdge and the power of parametrics was amazing. However more important was sharing via a library of parts that kept me from ever modeling anything more than one time. Finally I got to exporting BOMs via Excel and even importing to AllOrders which automatically generated pull lists from inventory and POs to vendors for what we didn't have. When I switched jobs I got SolidWorks, no better/worse than SolidEdge, just lots more people in our area using it. Same deal with sharing and exporting.

I am 69 and have a great job where I am using SW2022 and mentoring everyone else at the company as my skills are completely current while I am 30 years older than everyone else. Being obsolete is a really bad thing for your career.

Have to agree with the above post. There are several reasons to remain with Auto-Cad and I understand that making a switch can cause problems. I took Auto-Cad classes at a CC as my first dip into CAD and loved it. Dr. Ward later described it as a "nice 2-1/2D electronic pencil" and suggested 3D, parametric, fully associative software (Pro-e 2000i) as being more capable. After I started the class(es) I only chose to use AC (or one of the clones) when forced to.

I've been using 3D software for over 20 years and if you know one program the others aren't much different (action>object or object>action) except the icons. The infernal drop down menus (Pro-e) are gone, no command line confusion, drawings/models/assemblies can be created in just about any usable view, orientation, cross section, or isolated magnification you need. Dimensions are almost foolproof, Drawings/models update immediately with no re-drawing, motion analysis, weight/mass & center of gravity are only a mouse click or two away. Solutions to trigonometric/geometry problems are simple sketch for dimensions. BOM's on the drawing, GD&T on tap, 3D sketching for structural components, estimating clearance and ergonomics are easily accomplished.

Not knocking anyone that still uses AutoCad, it's the right tool for some tasks like schematics. For me, 3D software opened a door to another room of capability I wouldn't want to do without. I'll offer a short apology for going slightly OT to the OP if this doesn't help someone.

Not knocking anyone that still uses AutoCad,

I know that we ( the folks on PM ) are in a rather monolithic field in manufacturing with it's CAD requirements, and we easily ignore the world outside our realm as a result.
Yes, Autodesk has the burden of the general assumption that AutoCAD is but a remnant of a bygone era of mechanical design, used only by near fossil individuals.
Meanwhile, can you name a similar player in the fields of civil, architectural, construction, roads, bridges, plant or electrical engineering?
There are definitely a few, but rest assured, the names of Solidworks, NX, Pro-E or the others we're mostly familiar with will NOT be among them!

Meanwhile, can you name a similar player in the fields of civil, architectural, construction, roads, bridges, plant or electrical engineering?
-Nope, not in those fields. Every sector seems to have a preferred software they all tend to use. Perhaps it's because everybody else uses the same "tool" for the job, perhaps it's because that software accomplishes the task with a minimum of fuss/expense, maybe because of both.

I've had to use programs that I considered quite capable but were cumbersome, expensive, and overkill for what was being designed simply because that's what that particular industry used. Horses for courses and WADITW sort of thing.

I've nothing against AC and even stated this, it just doesn't do as much for me in the work I do. This website isn't focused on architecture, civil, construction, or the other aforementioned fields (although you are quite correct in your assertions). This website is focused on the type of work I've done most of my life and thought I'd offer a suggestion/experience to a decision I had to make 20 years ago after cranking handles for 25 years.

You've likely read enough of my posts to know I don't disrespect the methods/tools others use regardless of how I feel about those methods. If your reply was just for the sake of discussion then it was a valid point and I'm glad you posted. If you felt slighted, maligned, or marginalized then it was quite unintentional and I hope you'll accept an apology for my excessive enthusiasm. We can find something else to argue about can't we?

I currently run Autocad LT 2010 and I'm looking at purchasing Autocad LT 2023.

Do any of you all know of any big issues with a changeover to this software?
I've been using Autocad since1991, starting with release 11 and have managed to keep up with the upgrades so far.

I use it as a drafting program mostly and also for sending out DXF files for wire EDM work. All 2D.

I assume that the software still supports earlier versions and other Autodesk products, Is this true?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Wanna sell your LT2010?

If you felt slighted, maligned, or marginalized then it was quite unintentional and I hope you'll accept an apology for my excessive enthusiasm. We can find something else to argue about can't we?

No apology necessary as there were no such feelings.
I don't know the exact reason for the OP looking for an updated version of Autocad-LT, quite possibly that it is due to the fact that Autodesk no longer activates ANY versions prior to 2014.
Not just ACAD, but any of their products.

At the same time, while I am in the same business as you 100% of the time ( modeling, drawing and then machine the final product ) two of my customers are in the above fields.
They absolutely need AutoCAD as that is the industry standard in their field ( one of them also uses Bentley, but they typically supply ACAD DWG files )
For me, the best way to communicate with both of them and interrogate fit/function of their parts is by way of looking at the drawing file of the complete assembly.
And by assembly, I mean building, and by building I mean a 100+ story skyscraper with all the structural components.

As a sidenote, I have used Solidworks for 2 years before switching to Inventor. Neither of those have a drawing environment that comes even close to the free-form capability of AutoCAD.
That's not a plug for AutoCAD as most other non parametric 2D CAD tools work similarly, just a comment that the OP may also be in the same boat where he only needs AutoCAD as a complimentary tool for what he's already got.
I know I couldn't live without it, at least wouldn't want to!

As a sidenote, I have used Solidworks for 2 years before switching to Inventor. Neither of those have a drawing environment that comes even close to the free-form capability of AutoCAD.
That's not a plug for AutoCAD as most other non parametric 2D CAD tools work similarly, just a comment that the OP may also be in the same boat where he only needs AutoCAD as a complimentary tool for what he's already got.
I know I couldn't live without it, at least wouldn't want to!
Ive tried solidworks and liked it, but it's not what I'm REALLY good at.

I am kind of painted into a corner at work though as far as the existing drawings I have and still need to edit.

I do stamping die stuff and the ease of 2D is perfect for my situation. If I was a mold maker, or a diecast die maker I could see the value of a 3D program. But I'm just not that guy.

Autocad saves me BOATLOADS of time every day.

Thanks for all the responses, and I value them all.

In that case, try Brics or Progecad.
For simple 2D, both would do the job with Brics being a much more head to head in features as a full blown AutoCAD.

As for modeling, I do all my parts in 3D for the model, create the drawing views in Inventor, but all the actual drawing work and annotation is done in AutoCAD along with the necessary "doodling" part.
I can absolutely see the benefit of 2D CAD for stamping die work, though more as a complement rather than exclusive.

I’ve been Autocad lt since 02 Haha stepped up to inventor in I think 05. Last perpetual I owned was 12 inventor pro. Actually still using it. Did the subscription in 2019 and didn’t see anything I couldn’t live without. That and the ability to pay for a car with the subscription cost. Glad I didn’t give up my perpetual. Bought bobcad for my cam. Haven’t played with design 2d3d yet

Ive tried solidworks and liked it, but it's not what I'm REALLY good at.

I am kind of painted into a corner at work though as far as the existing drawings I have and still need to edit.

I do stamping die stuff and the ease of 2D is perfect for my situation. If I was a mold maker, or a diecast die maker I could see the value of a 3D program. But I'm just not that guy.

Autocad saves me BOATLOADS of time every day.

Thanks for all the responses, and I value them all.
I do extrusion dies with a lot of tools having multiple plates. When I first started working here a couple years ago all I had access to was Solidworks for design. I've been using the 2d Drawing function in SW for the past two years for design. I love the drawing tools that SW has but it is not at all how it was designed to be used. The other engineers here use AutoCAD. I just picked up BricsCAD a couple months ago and have only messed with it a bit, but it feels almost exactly like ACAD.

I with there was a 2.5D CAD system like ACAD but used Solidworks' sketch tools. I was hoping Draftsight was it but that was some garbage.

I with there was a 2.5D CAD system like ACAD but used Solidworks' sketch tools. I was hoping Draftsight was it but that was some garbage.
You mean parametric tools?

AutoCAD does do parametric, both, dimensions and constraints, but it is nowhere as convenient as either Inventor or Solidworks's drawing/sketching tools.
At the same time, ACAD and it's clones can do shit those others cannot even dream about, let alone the ease with which it can be done.

I don't care what anyone says, both of them have their places and neither of them can be ignored.

Hi Gary,
I remember you from the Rhino newsgroup. Some of the old regulars are still there, but on discourse now. Glad to hear you're still busy.

Dan
Dan,
Yes I used Rhino daily for 6 years. I still use it to defeature parts I get from vendors with an insane amount of details. Still busy!

Its time to get into the real world which is 3D. I switched from an AutoCAD clone about 20 years ago and have never looked back. I still use an AutoCAD clone for electrical drawings. My first 3D experience was Generic 3D which was amazing until AutoDesk nuked it. Then Rhino V2 which was a total convincer when I modelled a machine that I had started in 2D to find out part of the drive train was passing through the structure! Completely not visible in 2D and obvious in 3D. Then there is the virtually free top, bottom, side views that you don't redraw with every little change, so it is actually faster than 2D.

This makes no sense ? Autocad was 3D by the time it hit version 2.52 ("training" version, everyone had a copy). I never used v1 but it's been 3D since 1985-ish at the latest. A copy came on my 286 (new at the time.)

That's quite a while ago.

You mean parametric tools?

AutoCAD does do parametric, both, dimensions and constraints, but it is nowhere as convenient as either Inventor or Solidworks's drawing/sketching tools.
At the same time, ACAD and it's clones can do shit those others cannot even dream about, let alone the ease with which it can be done.

I don't care what anyone says, both of them have their places and neither of them can be ignored.
Could not agree with this more. There is a place for both types of products to keep efficient. I run Fusion and several of the 2D AutoCADs, mostly Mechanical and Map3D; sometimes electrical. It depends on the type of parts I’m working on.

Regarding the OPs question of how different is 2023 from 2010 and my answer would be not a lot if you know how to use the software. 2023 will be all ribbon based in the default UI while 2010 was still menu based if I remember correctly. I finally quit modifying the UI around 2019 to set it back to menus and it was only a minor change in workflow. I actually find myself using the ribbon over command line prompts now. If you’ve been using since 91 then I assume your mostly a command line user, that’s all still the same. They also changed the location of the right click copy paste options a few times between the two. That was also annoying but I’ve gotten used to it. The paper space annotation has also been better for a few years now, it’s not as easy to get a paper space measurement on accident anymore.

If LT has worked for you and your not longing for more features it is much cheaper, but you will be paying every year now. No more owned licenses, it’s all subscription. I manage around 120 Autocad licenses and I have been moving more and more users to LT to save some coin for those that are not “strong users”. I do much prefer the annotation tools in the full Mechanical version over all other versions though.

All that said, I would not upgrade expecting a much better product. The advantage in upgrading is no more issues trying to open files saved on newer machines and potentially greater performance. Autodesk has not supported 2010 in years so there have not been patches or fixes for issues in a long time. I actually never install the “latest” version. They offer up to 3 versions back from the current and
I find the second to most recent version is usually the most stable.

This makes no sense ? Autocad was 3D by the time it hit version 2.52 ("training" version, everyone had a copy). I never used v1 but it's been 3D since 1985-ish at the latest. A copy came on my 286 (new at the time.)

That's quite a while ago.

I don’t think these guys are referring to the “3D” functionality in basic AutoCAD, they are referring to parametric modeling programs like Solidworks, Inventor, Rhino, Fusion, ect. Different animal.

To be blunt, the 3D tools in Autocad suck. Pretty much worthless in my opinion. It’s 2D functionality is still very useful however. I use it for plate work on the plasma all the time and for electrical schematics.

Horses for courses.

Back