What's new
What's new

M head / r8 spindle swap

Very interested in this swap.

Converted my M Head mill to R8 spindle

Anyone wanting any info on this I can help you.

This sounds like a great swap to make a nice little machine even more versatile. I would appreciate any addition info you could supply about this swap if you still have it available?

I'd be interested in some pictures on here, but I've invested too much in my B&S #7 collection to swap to something else.

Glad to see some M-head's getting a little love. As long as you use them for how they were designed and that works for your needs, they're a great machine. The small footprint, and easily manipulated head are great for small work.

It has been 2 years since JocobC last posted about converting
an M-head to R-8 collets. My thinking is he was either confused
about the physical space in the quill available to do this conversion
and he was BSing us, or ? ? ?
Maybe he used needle bearings ? LOL ? LOL ? :)

-Doozer

I really am comfortable with my M head, I also have a series 1 CNC for big stuff. I really would like a J head and was searching for an affordable unit to swap, or adapt to the round bar. Your fix would be awesome> Please forward any drawings and parts list Thank you

If anyone has the drawings for the conversion and would be willing to send them my way via DM (or DM me I can give you an email to send it to) That would be greatly appreciated, Someone donated a M-head mill to the non-profit I'm a part of and we would loved to get it converted to use R-8 tooling.

Hi Jacobc im also interested by your upgrade if you can send me some info or someone else here that can share it with me
Thx

I would greatly appreciate any info about your conversion. I currently have a m-head that one of the previous owners retrofitted an additional 5" of steel to allow for R8 use but it greatly limits the range of motion and cut quality (mostly from excessive chatter). Thank you in advance. [email protected]

For those that dream of seeing an actual reply with details from the OP, note that you can click on his profile and see that he made 5 posts, ending April 2, 2019, and then disappeared:

JacobC

Plastic
Joined Dec 10, 2018
Last seen May 16, 2019

I suspect this topic is of a mythical nature, perhaps an elaborate leadup to an April Fool thing. If not a bad joke, then maybe a bad design that quickly revealed its faults.

Larry

Last edited:
Converted my M Head mill to R8 spindle

Anyone wanting any info on this I can help you.
Its been a few years but it looks as if i am about to convert an M head to R8 spindle if you have any info to share
Dubious it can be done ..
Guess ill stick to morse
Adam

Last edited:
Maybe you recent guys posting and wanting more information ought to read L Vanise's post #39 instead of just reading the OP's first one that never gave any actual information then or even up to today.

Back