What's new
What's new

Machinable wax

BREWSKI

Cast Iron
What can anyone tell me about machinable wax? Are there different grades,as with other materials? Any info will be appreciated. BREWSKI

I can tell you it is expensive!!!!

If you want prototype with some thing that you can cast and then machine, I would suggest using ultracal 30 plaster from USG. Follow all the instructions, but replace 15% of the water with PVA glue like elmers woodworking or white... either one will do.

Machine wet and use a shop vac with a fixture to keep the chips off of your machine.

Fast, strong, dementionally accurate, archival, and cheap!

Works great particularly for larger scale pieces... doesn't work if you are looking to investment cast.

B

BillyBoy,
How long does this brew take to set up before machining? Like what is the time from pour into the mold to when you can demold and cut?

plaster in genral hardens to a demold hardness in 45 minutes on average, and gets very hard in a couple of hours. It will hold water for a while, but will dry out and become "thirsty" One nasty thing about plaster is that it likes to make metal rust, the powder does, if it sicks to something. If you mix in too much water, it will never harden.

In casting plaster we used to save a bit of old setup plaster, crush it and add to the new. It causes it to set up faster.

Like adding sugar to concrete to cause it to set up slower.

Another tip:
Molten sulfer does not shrink when going from liquid to solid state. I've set bolts in concrete that will not come out. Stop heating as soon as the sulfer is molten!

I would still go with the Freeman stuff and vacuum and re-melt/cast as I suggested in my post in the first thread I linked above. I've used it over and over, it's basically inert and unoffensive (no dust to inhale). About the worst trait is initial cost and cuttings will tend to clog intake strainers in coolant systems if you don't vacuum them with in reason.

Back