What's new
What's new

Machine D2 tool steel with small hole

jaredgtd

Plastic
What’s up guys. I have a Haas Cl-1 with a bar pusher. Max rpm on the machine is 6k but I can’t go above 3k with the bar pusher in use. Need help.

Im Machine soft d2 with small holes. Currently drilling a .045 hole with a cobalt jobber drill and then hitting it with a chuck carbide reamer about .002-.003 bigger.

Current speed on drill 135 angle is 3k rpm and .0003 federate on the machine using a peck cycle going about .200 deep.

Any bright ideas on why my drills randomly break? I’m using coolant. Sometimes I get 250 parts and sometimes I get 10. I’ve heard people say that I should be putting the drill with the 2 flutes in a specific direction but who knows.

Only thing I know is bad is my limitation on rpm’s due to bar pusher.

Try this drill. Sometimes the rapids can damage the drill if the chip isn’t completely broken in the hole. It can save on tool life by long handing the pecking cycle to retract 10 or 20 thou then rapid out and rapid 10 or 20 shallow and feed in again. I am assuming you have a good spot and have indicated the tooling in 5 tenths or better as well.

How big of pecks are you taking anyway? An IJK cycle would probably save some time if you aren’t using it already.

HI Max. Cool thank you I will try those drills. My center drill is giving a nice starter hole and my drills and reamers are within .0005 to the spindle. I like that idea about the rapids and manual programming. Please see my attached drill cycle.

G83 X0. Z-[#102+.06] R.05 Q.002 F.0003

#102=.175

Thats a good question. Im running a 5 foot bar and the parts are very short so the machine sits over there all day making them, I've never seen where in the drill cycle it is breaking honestly. Has anyone ever told you to put a drill in a collet with the flutes pointed out of the side instead of top to bottom? I had a guy here that used to swear by it, but Ive never paid much attention.

Back