What's new
What's new

Machine gearbox oil

adrian

Cast Iron
I am currently refurbishing a Mikron WF1 which is same as the WF2.

With regard to gearbox oil, I wanted to run this by people on the forum with far more machine experience than me.

I have an old manual in Russian which is not easy to decipher.
For the Y axis head assembly the manual recommends Velocite 6 ( ISO10) for the front gearbox which has a pair of bevel gears and DTE11 (ISO15) for the rear which is six speed, straight cut gears over three shafts.

The traversing gearbox in the main body of the machine which is very similar to the overhead rear box it recommends Vactra 2 which is ISO68.

Can anyone confirm this is correct as the ISO10 and 15 seem a little light for gearbox use, unless of course they have factored in extra thin oil for working in a Siberian winter. My understanding is Velocite 6 and DTE11 is for use with high speed spindle bearings.

The ISO 68 used for the traversing gearbox is more like I would expect.

Many thanks Adrian.

Last edited:
I too use 68 hydraulic oil, and 220 weight way oil (per frans zinger recommendations).

Though given that the temperature in my shop is often on the colder side (maintained at 12C during oct-april), I've wondered if a move to a less viscous oil would be in order.

I use ISO68 for the gearboxes in my Deckel but they run slower than the MIkron. I will try ISO 46 and see. To be honest on a fifty year old machine with the associated wear I don't think it really matters 46 or 68, but 15 is too thin.
Thanks Adrian.

There was a reason the maker specified a light oil.....Its not just to make it more complex. Might be that you have spindle bearings there that need the light oil to lubricate without overheating.....
I agree that older machines can tolerate some adjustment in oil viscosity, but 50 points....I would be looking closely at what that oil was lubricating.
Cheers Ross

As you say Ross any oil specified is done for a reason and is best that type is used.

The confusion I have is down to a typo or translation error. A German manual from 1973 specifies DTE Medium which is an ISO VG46, however a later English manual of 1976 recommends DTE11 which is an ISO15.

This is a very simple gearbox with two sliding gears locating with gear clusters on harden shafts. The output shaft which runs at about 6000rpm has shielded greased bearings, so oil issue. I think I will stick with the 46 grade and if I find it’s a bit noisy then try the 68.

On a different tack I am undecided what oil to use for the vertical head which unfortunately is not covered in the any of the manuals I have. The head has bevel gears and support roller bearings that run in an oil bath that splashes oil onto the bearings, although how it splashes to the top bearing is a mystery. This reservoir is topped up by an oiler directly above the top bearing and it would appear to be the only time this bearing gets oiled.

Any advice would be welcome.

Ciao Adrian.

Attachments

• Section 1_0007.jpg
    Section 1_0007.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC_0008.JPG
    DSC_0008.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 8
  • WP_20221015_001.jpg
    WP_20221015_001.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I put grease on the gears then I also add way oil up there

I normally put a small light coat of grease on dry bearings just to give them some lube until the oil works it's way in. The oil washes it away so no harm.

I found a Thiel 158 manual online which has a very similar arrangement to the Mikron WF1 and they recommend an ISO 46 grade for the bevel gears and associated bearings, so I'll give that a go and see.

Ciao Adrian.

Back