What's new
What's new

Machining Haynes 230

Have you tried a high feed mill? That high lead angle will help with tool life, like I mentioned earlier. Get the right inserts in there and it should last pretty well. Just switch to the normal solid endmill for finishing after your pocket is all roughed out.

Have you tried a high feed mill? That high lead angle will help with tool life, like I mentioned earlier. Get the right inserts in there and it should last pretty well. Just switch to the normal solid endmill for finishing after your pocket is all roughed out.
These inserts have a high lead angle and .03 cr. I run a finish pass with a .375 coated 5 flute. It's taking about 10k radial for cleanup, it lasts forever lol. I was just playing with going troichiodal with a .500 5 flute. This stuff is just really abrasive. It's all good.

These inserts have a high lead angle and .03 cr. I run a finish pass with a .375 coated 5 flute. It's taking about 10k radial for cleanup, it lasts forever lol. I was just playing with going troichiodal with a .500 5 flute. This stuff is just really abrasive. It's all good.

Which cutter are you using? And yes, it's abrasive stuff, no lie.

Hmm, that is not a high lead angle cutter like I am talking about. That's a high positive, but 90° lead angle. See attached for what I mean. This reduces the chip thickness and also spreads the load to a larger area of the edge, reducing wear. I have used this method on a lot of superalloys with good success on most.

WAL-375 Fig 5.jpg

download (1).jpeg

Hmm, that is not a high lead angle cutter like I am talking about. That's a high positive, but 90° lead angle. See attached for what I mean. This reduces the chip thickness and also spreads the load to a larger area of the edge, reducing wear. I have used this method on a lot of superalloys with good success on most.

View attachment 398960

View attachment 398961
Ahh ok, yeah I don't know if I can get one small enough, and at this point it's just going to be easier to just go back to endmills. Here's an insert after 1.25 parts running 1800 rpm and 4 ipm.

Attachments

• 20230618_112400.jpg
    20230618_112400.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 15
Ahh ok, yeah I don't know if I can get one small enough, and at this point it's just going to be easier to just go back to endmills. Here's an insert after 1.25 parts running 1800 rpm and 4 ipm.

You might try to see if there's a solid carbide available that's ground in such a manner...or order one. High lead is very helpful in such situations.

Back