What's new
What's new

MACHINING WITH A .125 DRILL

PMAF

Plastic
I need to drill a couple of holes size .125, so I have a .125 high speed drill. I am wondering what revs you would usually use? What speeds? Etc. I already had some drills break in the past, so I do not want to make the same mistake and want feedback. Thanks y'all!

I need to drill a couple of holes size .125, so I have a .125 high speed drill. I am wondering what revs you would usually use? What speeds? Etc. I already had some drills break in the past, so I do not want to make the same mistake and want feedback. Thanks y'all!
What material, in what condition? How deep? Got flood coolant at least?

It is regular stainless 304 and 316. Thru hole 1.600". And yes I do.
Thanks for responding by the way.
At 13xD you would have to be pecking with a HSS drill. What kind of HSS drill? Jobber? Aircraft? Parabolic? Is it coated?

If its a jobber drill I'd turn it around 35-50sfm and feed it about .0012-.0018ipr pecking every .060" or so.

Oh and you absolutely need to spot and then pilot drill the top of the hole with a stub drill to get it started.

40sfm +/- 5. Jobber drill. Peck, everytime you peck dial back the feed rate a little bit. As you get deeper take a less aggressive cut.

Back