What's new
What's new

macson lathe bearings

macsonboy

Aluminum
hi again all,, i have a new problem. first up i have an aussie built Macson lathe from approx 1956 ish and it has a plate attatched saying it was overhauled approx 1968. overall it is good enough for my needs ( first pic).the problem is out the back of the headstock in the clutch -brake area.(2nd pic)it has a bearing double row ball type self centering that is of the open type NO LUBE! it mounts in a cast iron housing and i suspect it does'nt get any lube and that is why it is dead. i think i may have to use a sealed type if available but really need advice or workshop manual to point me in the right direction. very hard to get any info on these lathes for some strange reason. i thought about oil in the housing but there is no seal for any of that idea. any clues or advice or even workshop manual info would be a great help.

Attachments

• 20240318_173632 - Copy.jpg
    20240318_173632 - Copy.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 77
  • 20240318_173643 - Copy.jpg
    20240318_173643 - Copy.jpg
    618.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240318_173809 - Copy.jpg
    20240318_173809 - Copy.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240318_173819 - Copy.jpg
    20240318_173819 - Copy.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240318_173940 - Copy.jpg
    20240318_173940 - Copy.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 34
Normally these spindle bearings get oil thrown up by the gears .........they dont need much oil ,and flood oiling is bad for them as it carries dirt and grit.............that style of Macson wasnt rare once .......but is it 1950s? .....Id have thought WW2 ..............the only source of pictures of the lathes is MacPhersons yearly catalog ....... I believe the Science Museum in Melbourne has a complete set 1880-1980.

There is a pic of that lathe in the 1936 lathe catalog .........its described as a 8&1/2 " geared head toolroom lathe.......also says 'hard phosphor bronze spindle bearings'
G'day John, thanks for the reply and info. i was always told by the people in the know that it was mid 50s,,but you have come up with proof. i was shocked!. back to the bearing,,this is not the main spindle or inside the headstock/gearbox.it is external and no oil off gears . i have been thinking that when the 2 halves of the cast iron housing(you can see me holding 1 piece in the pics) are bolted together you may need to put a small amount of oil in there and this would also lube the brake / clutch assy. just guessing. this is why i need a manual or similar to really find out what needs to happen.thanks again for your help and hope brissy weather is good today! P.S. if you want more pics let me know

I very much doubt any manual ever existed .....a parts list with drawings was sufficient for an experienced repairer......Its quite possible your lathe is 1950s ........Macsons never changed the design until they had to ......protected from imports by a tariff wall of 60% or more.

I very much doubt any manual ever existed .....a parts list with drawings was sufficient for an experienced repairer......Its quite possible your lathe is 1950s ........Macsons never changed the design until they had to ......protected from imports by a tariff wall of 60% or more.
the plot thickens

And even then it was still worth getting an import machine. My DS&G is a 1954 baby. My Monarch was a 1942 war baby.

PDW

When you look into the history of these machines ,you find they were bought by state govts ,city councils ,and commonwealth departments ........all exempt from duties or sales tax.

Such a funny looking headstock.
I totally LOVE it.
You never see imaginative designs like that anymore.
Cool.
Also love the Taylor chuck.

-Doozer

20240318_173632-copy-jpg.433324

Last edited:
Macsons fell victim to asset strippers in the 1980s recession/depression.........Macsons had buildings in every capital ,and numerous factories ..........the asset strippers used the recession to buy up stocks at rock bottom prices ,and then sold off the real estate for huge profits a few years later.

When you look into the history of these machines ,you find they were bought by state govts ,city councils ,and commonwealth departments ........all exempt from duties or sales tax.

Certainly true WRT my DS&G - it was bought by the South Australian Govt Railways, the original paperwork came to me with the machine, including the price.

Of course the gap piece has gone missing over the years. That's annoying. One day I'll make a replacement.

PDW

macsonboy,

I think just packing the bearing with grease would be OK (I assume it has an endcap on the two-piece housing?) And maybe grease the sliding parts of the clutch mechanism.

Open bearings work OK with grease, it's not too different from say car wheel bearings (non-driven wheels) or some turret mill spindle bearings.

I am guessing there is a slot in the two-piece cover for the clutch actuating lever? To keep dirt out, maybe something like the boot on a manual gear stick?

I have photos of a couple of these lathes in NZ, but none show that housing.

macsonboy,

I think just packing the bearing with grease would be OK (I assume it has an endcap on the two-piece housing?) And maybe grease the sliding parts of the clutch mechanism.

Open bearings work OK with grease, it's not too different from say car wheel bearings (non-driven wheels) or some turret mill spindle bearings.

I am guessing there is a slot in the two-piece cover for the clutch actuating lever? To keep dirt out, maybe something like the boot on a manual gear stick?

I have photos of a couple of these lathes in NZ, but none show that housing.
thank you Peter, still can't work out if it should have some form of oil in that housing or as you say pack with grease. if i go down the oil path i will have a gasket between the 2 halves , but then i will be running a wet clutch/brake which may be normal for that machine but i really don't know. pick up the new bearing Friday. A boot is a good idea also. cheers

just an update ,,, sealed the 2 half housings with gaskets and filled with oil and ran it. strangely quite now! excess oil ran out during operation to a level it seems happy with,, all i can do is use it..

Back