What's new
What's new

MAHO lost on Autobahn

Can you not rent a truck in germany? Or just hire someone with a flatbed and a palfinger? I have always hated trailers myself, even though I have a much more capable tow vehicle.

Ouch, looks like that machine was a little heavy for the tow vehicle.
No I don't think so. But tongue weight unclear. Still no reason for such failure.
I did post a picture of a forklift fork that broke on me about 3 years ago in the rigging forum. Apparently stuff happens.
Also, this seems to have been one of those removable hitches that a locked in and include a key. I have one of those on my VW and I have never removed it all. I am sure it is corroded solid by now.

Wow! luckily it seems that nobody was hurt.
Ayup.

Seen several, and been involved with a couple more or less directly, incidents where a trailer failed, or there was a failure to properly attach all the relevant parts, resulting in a parting of ways, of the loaded trailer.

Small blessings, but it went in the ditch, rather than across the busy traffic lanes!

May not have mattered but it looks like he only had one strap on it, the one laying on the ground. I always use at least four straps hoping that the load will stay attached to my trailer no matter what.

My speculation: Machine loaded directly over axles so it was perfectly balanced on trailer, so no weight on tongue, because the car could not carry the weight. Once it got to freeway speeds, the trailer started whipping, and the hitch broke. Been there, done that, fortunately it was not a machine, just a ratty old race car.

Looks like it was loaded with a good tongue weight, by the first photo. What’s the weight of the machine? Weight of trailer? Towing capacity of that VAG product they used for towing?

Definitely not the ideal tow vehicle for any machine tool, but if the “tow hook” (whatever the fuck that means) was “lost”, well…

Looks like it was loaded with a good tongue weight, by the first photo. What’s the weight of the machine? Weight of trailer? Towing capacity of that VAG product they used for towing?

Definitely not the ideal tow vehicle for any machine tool, but if the “tow hook” (whatever the fuck that means) was “lost”, well…
May be something of the translation from German to English, or they could as well have been using a variation of a ring and pintle hook hitch in the receiver of the towing vehicle. I have both types for use on my truck, ball hitches of several sizes, as well as a very industrial sized Pintle Hitch. Both systems rely upon that all the attaching hardware is tight, as well as that the pin used to secure the hitch itself in the receiver on the vehicle, is both of suitable strength and properly installed.

Maybe one of the more Euro guys can fill in? Are most using a Ball Hitch (ball on the tow vehicle, socket on the trailer tongue), or are they using something different generally, over there?

Maybe one of the more Euro guys can fill in? Are most using a Ball Hitch (ball on the tow vehicle, socket on the trailer tongue), or are they using something different generally, over there?

They just use ball hitches, particularly on a trailer this small. In the photo of the trailer in the ditch and the perpetrator on the side of the road, you can see the truck he should have used passing by hauling two cars.

Current hot topic on German forum. The pictures are worth it, some of the comments are idiotic as usual. Apparently the guys hitch broke, which is not a possibility I had on my radar.

Correction: seems he "lost" the detachable tow hook.
My Chevy can tow 13,500 lbs and has both a receiver hitch and a gooseneck, but fear of having an accident with a trailer is why I rent stakebeds from Enterprise truck rental.

Collected my Rivett 1020s and Kearney & Trecker Autometric with an F550 and my Abene VHF 350 with an F450. Since last year all the Ford stakebeds at Enterprise Truck have been out on long term hire, so I had to make do with the larger and heavier Chevy / International 6500 stakebed to collect my Behringer; from Minnesota, a few months ago. About 750- 800 mile round trip. Don't like this truck, as the ride is very rough and bumpy.

I used to have a lift-a-load hydraulic drop deck trailer, which dropped all the way to the ground and elevated to loading dock height, but it got stolen.

Attachments

• behringer.jpg
    behringer.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
At first I was perplexed because the machine ended ahead of the upright trailer. After thinking on the photo for a while. I think hitch broke (maybe 3,500 rated ball) and the tongue dropped with the tongue jack hitting the road causing a massive deceleration. The machine did not slow as fast as the trailer so it slipped the single strap and flew forward tumbling. With no load weight, the trailer turned right into the dirt which stopped it quickly.

Back