What's new
What's new

MAHO lost on Autobahn

3rd ask, are safety chains required? I see mention of breakaway brakes, but nobody has answered if safety chains are used. As for what the driver claims, my experience is people will lie and contrive a story that makes it not their fault. I've towed thousands of miles, I've had a trailer whip because of improper loading, I've lost a trailer because the receiver was not latched properly, I've lost a trailer because it was a 2" receiver on a 1-7/8" ball. But I've never even heard of anyone having the receiver hitch pin shear (double shear) while towing.
You mean between the trailer and car? Nope. Just a safety wire, that connects the tow car and trailer brakes. Loose the hitch, and the wire tightens and brakes are on.

Kjelle

Thanks for the insight.
In case you want to see a European towbar arrangement this is the back of my Audi Q5 as I was fitting the towbar, showing the construction hidden behind the plastic bumper trim.
The hitch is a 50mm ball.
20230719_094937_IMG_7741.jpeg

You mean between the trailer and car? Nope. Just a safety wire, that connects the tow car and trailer brakes. Loose the hitch, and the wire tightens and brakes are on.

Kjelle
Here in the states we use the breakaway trailer brakes (over a certain weight, I forget the weight) and safety chains (all bumper pull trailers, regardless of weight), so when you loose the trailer, it applies the brakes, and drags you off the road to let you know somethings gone wrong.

I suspect Maho man went into a fishtail .......a violent side to side sway.....very common with a car pulling a tandem trailer ...........this is the only way the machine could be ahead of the trailer.

I suspect Maho man went into a fishtail .......a violent side to side sway.....very common with a car pulling a tandem trailer ...........this is the only way the machine could be ahead of the trailer.
Thats what I think is most likely too, I'm not buying the "it just fell off" story. Either the hitch was not latched, not locked, someone forgot to tighten some bolts, or trailer started whipping.

These pickups have twice or three times the power of a 1959 Mack B61 tandem ,that would easily pull a float with a D9 on it ......70 tons ..........back in the day ,I drove trucks pulling bogie trailers (36ton) with a 354 Perkins diesel ...120 hp ,and my old man pulled a semi trailer with a Ford flathead 8 .....95hp..
The king of the Super Duty lineup, the 2023 F-450 is more capable when it comes to towing and hauling than the one-ton F-350, which better compares with the Silverado and Sierra 3500 HDs and Ram 3500. For 2023, the F-450’s maximum towing capacity using a gooseneck trailer increases to 40,000 pounds from 37,000, while its fifth-wheel capacity is now 35,000 pounds. The F-350’s towing capacity is 38,000 pounds with a gooseneck trailer, up from 35,750. (Note that these towing capacities are specifically for regular-cab models with dual rear wheels, the high-output diesel and the Max Tow Package; not every Super Duty can pull those numbers.) The Silverado and Sierra HDs top out at 36,000 pounds of towing capacity, while the Ram 3500 maxes out at 37,090. For conventional hitch towing, meanwhile, the 2023 F-450 tops out at 30,000 pounds (up from 24,200) while the F-350 can pull 28,000 with dual rear wheels and 25,000 in single-rear-wheel configuration, up from 21,200 and 20,000 pounds, respectively.

A Superduty Ford with a diesel engine delivers a mind blowing 1,050 foot pounds of torque.

Back