What's new
What's new

Maho MH300 vertical head alignment pins

slawekgonet

Plastic
Hey,

Detaching and attaching the vertical head on my MH300 is more difficult that I think it should be - seems like it's sitting very tight on the two alignment pins.
I was curious if these pins are adjustable by any chance? Maybe a bit of eccentricity? Do you know how to remove these pins, if I wanted to check the fit one pin at a time?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3738.jpeg
    IMG_3738.jpeg
    741.8 KB · Views: 13
Hey,

Detaching and attaching the vertical head on my MH300 is more difficult that I think it should be - seems like it's sitting very tight on the two alignment pins.
I was curious if these pins are adjustable by any chance? Maybe a bit of eccentricity? Do you know how to remove these pins, if I wanted to check the fit one pin at a time?

Thanks!
I can see some screws in these pins, no?

That's correct, but unscrewing these does not loosen anything.

There is another, bigger thread inside accessible after I remove these bolts. Maybe to screw another bolt in and pull out the pins? I haven't tried anything brutal yet.

That's correct, but unscrewing these does not loosen anything.

There is another, bigger thread inside accessible after I remove these bolts. Maybe to screw another bolt in and pull out the pins? I haven't tried anything brutal yet.
yeap, I'd assume you use a slide hammer puller to pull it out.
or, if you are sure about the hole bottom drop a ball in there and just screw a bolt to pull it out

or use a spacer, a flat bar with a hole in the middle, a piece of all-thread and a nut to pull it out

BR,
Thanos

Thanks for the advice!

My only worry is that these pins are for example threaded (but I doubt it, since it won't be precise then) or there is some other retention mechanism - and trying to pull it I'll end up with broken bolt inside.

Thanks for the advice!

My only worry is that these pins are for example threaded (but I doubt it, since it won't be precise then) or there is some other retention mechanism - and trying to pull it I'll end up with broken bolt inside.
take it easy and they'll come out easily
if you don't use ape force there is no fear (most of the times) of damaging something

They are press fits, not threaded. You know this as there is no mechanical way to install them by the makers had they been threaded....
Fasteners are there to closer off the ID of the pins and you can remove them using one of the methods t5hat Thanvg outlined above...
I personally would be hesitant to remove these....Looks to me that you can measure the pin in place.....maybe polish the OD in place....
Apply a very light coat of blue to the pin and install your vertical head, then remove, and see if the pins are bearing equally..
If not polish selectively....My guess it that this is not an interference issue of the pin size, but rather a small misalignment that makes it fit up tight.
Not difficult. Make a mask by punching a hole that fits the pin in a piece of thin shim stock and place over the pin to protect the face of the casting. Use a strip of fine abrasive cloth to "shoe shine" the pins where needed. Don't want the fit to be loose, over tight is better than over loose...
Cheers Ross

Last edited:

Back