What's new
What's new

Maho MH600 oil

Charles P

Aluminum
I’m replacing the oils in my 1960’s “round styled” Maho MH600.
The main gear oils are no problem but the variable speed drive runs in an oil bath, probably like a Kopp variator. Therefore the oil is very specific being Shell Morina S2 BL5, an ISO 5 oil. As you’d expect it’s expensive (a gearbox of full of malt whisky would be cheaper!)
Can anybody tell me the H Drive oil capacity for this machine? I don’t want to buy too much, and don’t want to have too little. And before anyone asks, there was far too much spillage to use what came out as an indicator!

thanks

Charles

I’m replacing the oils in my 1960’s “round styled” Maho MH600.
The main gear oils are no problem but the variable speed drive runs in an oil bath, probably like a Kopp variator. Therefore the oil is very specific being Shell Morina S2 BL5, an ISO 5 oil. As you’d expect it’s expensive (a gearbox of full of malt whisky would be cheaper!)
Can anybody tell me the H Drive oil capacity for this machine? I don’t want to buy too much, and don’t want to have too little. And before anyone asks, there was far too much spillage to use what came out as an indicator!

thanks

Charles
I couldn’t find any of that oil in less than a 55 gallon jug got a Harrison 10AA I have. Looked up Variators limited in Canada and had 6 liters sent to me here in the states. Don’t remember what the cost was but seemed cheap compared to putting the wrong thing in it.
If I remember correctly that variator only holds about 1 liter, think your Maho may be similar.

Thanks Danny. Variators are very intolerant of the wrong oil.
If a Harrison 10AA takes a litre in the main drive I figure that the feed gearbox in a Maho will be a lot less.

Charles

Back