What's new
What's new

Manual for a Pratt & Whitney 1105 Thread Mill.

ssbn641gold

Aluminum
I recently bought a Pratt & Whitney 1105 thread mill and as far as I can tell the machine is complete. But I need an operators manual. I would prefer to buy an original manual but I am also willing to pay for a good copy or PDF file of an original. I’ve been looking for one on Ebay with no luck.

I have found a seller that has reprints of a C model thread mill but I don’t know how applicable that would be to the 1105 model. If anyone does know the difference, can I use the C thread mill manual to run the 1105 machine?

One last thing. Does anyone know of a source for the cutters? I’ve done the Google search for thread milling cutters but all I can find is end mill and hob type cutters. I need 7/8” arbor mounted side and face cutters. I’ve been buying them on Ebay when I see them listed but if anyone knows of a supplier, even NOS, I’m all ears.

I’m posting this in Heavy Iron and Antique Machinery.

Last edited:
That is similar to mine. The difference is that mine is in one piece and I have all of the change gears and the follower rest, as well as other parts (not sure yet what they do) that were stored with the machine. This is the one that I bought. The change gears are in the left side machine base and the accessories are in the right side base. https://www.bidspotter.com/en-us/au...0013/lot-c71ac868-7605-4bd7-8ccc-aec90112a3b6

Ash Gear will have cutters. Gear up the machine 1:1 and rotate the work spindle 1 revolution and measure the carriage movement. this will allow you to figure the change gears for any other lead. Be aware that thread mills can be configured to have either the work spindle drive the lead screw or the reverse depending on how big the lead ot the thread its. A model C manual will at least get you close on explaining how to set the machine up. Also, if anyone knows where a 6x24 P&W Model C is hiding, I would be interested in buying it.

Ash Gear will have cutters. Gear up the machine 1:1 and rotate the work spindle 1 revolution and measure the carriage movement. this will allow you to figure the change gears for any other lead. Be aware that thread mills can be configured to have either the work spindle drive the lead screw or the reverse depending on how big the lead ot the thread its. A model C manual will at least get you close on explaining how to set the machine up. Also, if anyone knows where a 6x24 P&W Model C is hiding, I would be interested in buying it.
Thank you for the advice! I’m thinking that the Model C manual will probably give me enough information to run mine. It’s probably a safe assumption that the C is just an upgraded version (roller bearings instead of babbitt bearings ) of the 1105.

Back