What's new
What's new

manual machinist wanted. $36/hr SEMO area.

alonzo83

Stainless
Hello everyone, been a while since I've posted anything.

I'm currently helping a customer set up an internal machine shop at an aluminum extrusion plant.

Your job would entail repairing and constructing whatever is needed to keep the plant running. basic knowledge of metals such as 1018, 4140 1045, 303 316 416, 954 and 953 as well as plastics and aluminum is necessary.

You should be able to cut threads, calculate taper, cut key ways layout bolt hole patterns and perform all the basic math a manual machinist should know. Ability to draw 2d cad would be a plus but isn't mandatory.

Individuals with a back ground in manual job shops is preferred.

Currently the plant maintenance manager is acquiring a lagun republic mill and whacheon or moriseiki lathe based on my recommendation.

Guys, I can't stress this enough $36/hr here is top pay. cost of living is super cheap livable housing starts at 40k and gas is $3.30 a gallon currently. I'd take the job in an instant if I wasn't so damn loyal to the family business.

Your job would entail repairing and constructing whatever is needed to keep the plant running. basic knowledge of metals such as 1018, 4140 1045, 303 316 416, 954 and 953 as well as plastics and aluminum is necessary.

Wow, that is a fun job, you make anything/everything "Quick Wink" off the old part or a print
Perhaps going out to take measurements or transfer and scribe from the old part. Need, abrasive chop saw, engine lathe, mill, bench vise, bench grinder, drill press, surface grinder with parting wheels and last word dresser, heat treat oven with a bucket of carbon, a simple welder, a tool-cutter order budget to buy up to ? so you dont have to wait for a PO.....and inbetween hot jobs you engineer shop inprovements.
at least that is my take on the job / I could be wrong / but I did that in the big shop /I could whip out a part sometimes even before the font office knew we were down.

Last edited:
at least that is my take on the job / I could be wrong / but I did that in the bug shop /I could whip out a part sometimes even before the font office knew we were down.
Buck, you pretty much nailed it.

This week the plant manager is in the process of having a third party inspect this machine. https://federalequip.com/product/la...ftv-2-10-x-50-table-3-hp-newall-two-axis-dro/

I'm gate keeping the direct contact info because I need to know the individual is competent enough to perform the basic tasks and I'm going to be working with this person they will be sending me prints to plasma cut/build and I will be working on anything they cannot fit in that mill or a 17x60 lathe.

you would be a perfect fit. but iirc your retired.

I did much on a surface grinder because squareness, size and spotting to the remnants of an existing part, were so easy to obtain, and angles easy and accurate. Parting wheels/chop saw could make rough part size to .+015-.25.. Gears and racks are easy enough. HSS bits for the lathe so any odd shape/thing is easy, along with carbide for the hard stuff. Have a decent amount of brass and nylon so a mock bearing could be fudged up while waiting for a bearing to come in.
Lathe talents should include how to pick up a thread, how to turn between centers and how to measure/make a taper, and make a keyway or a spline. Surface grinder knowing how to down-grind and be as fast as a mill.

I guess one spare-time project would be to make a 24 and 36 index for the 4-jaw lathe chuck.... and a way to mount the indexing 4-jaw on the surface grinder and mill. Much faster than a dividing head.

If I took the job I would bring my KoLee TC grinder so able to male a quick special cutter.
No, I don't want the job, I'm retired.
*Wait..Don't let me scare anyone off from applying for this job, it is not likely many have considered all these tasks...still every machinist should think about them.

Last edited:
I did much on a surface grinder because squareness, size and spotting to the remnants of an existing part, were so easy to obtain, and angles easy and accurate. Parting wheels/chop saw could make rough part size to .+015-.25.. Gears and racks are easy enough. HSS bits for the lathe so any odd shape/thing is easy, along with carbide for the hard stuff. Have a decent amount of brass and nylon so a mock bearing could be fudged up while waiting for a bearing to come in.
Lathe talents should include how to pick up a thread, how to turn between centers and how to measure/make a taper, and make a keyway or a spline. Surface grinder knowing how to down-grind and be as fast as a mill.

I guess one spare-time project would be to make a 24 and 36 index for the 4-jaw lathe chuck.... and a way to mount the indexing 4-jaw on the surface grinder and mill. Much faster than a dividing head.

If I took the job I would bring my KoLee TC grinder so able to male a quick special cutter.
No, I don't want the job, I'm retired.
*Wait..Don't let me scare anyone off from applying for this job, it is not likely many have considered all these tasks...still every machinist should think about them.
your going a little beyond what I honestly am looking for.

I need a guy that can cut stock, mill a keyway, turn threads, make interference bearing surfaces, probably remove a lot of stuck bolts as well. lastly just be able to draw simple machine guards and other panel work destined for a plasma cutter.

your going a little beyond what I honestly am looking for.

I need a guy that can cut stock, mill a keyway, turn threads, make interference bearing surfaces, probably remove a lot of stuck bolts as well. lastly just be able to draw simple machine guards and other panel work destined for a plasma cutter.

Don't underestimate how hard these skills can be to find in a person born in the last 60 years that does not already run their own shop.

Seen that movie Idiocracy? It's a documentary, not a comedy.

Don't underestimate how hard these skills can be to find in a person born in the last 60 years that does not already run their own shop.

Seen that movie Idiocracy? It's a documentary, not a comedy.
I know. I cross posted this job advertisement across several social media platforms. people are too lazy to look at an amazing job offer with a really low cost of living in the states.

So I have adapted and am now looking in other countries I have two different men from south Africa trying to find a candidate for the job.

automotive engineers are welcome here.

I know. I cross posted this job advertisement across several social media platforms. people are too lazy to look at an amazing job offer with a really low cost of living in the states.

So I have adapted and am now looking in other countries I have two different men from south Africa trying to find a candidate for the job.

automotive engineers are welcome here.

When I see "low cost of living " I automatically think shithole.

$36/hr is a decent wage in most areas, but it wouldn't make me want to relocate to a shithole. I can make $175k/yr if I want to spend my winters in Prudhoe Bay. No thanks.

Back