What's new

Many still expecting doom

• Thread starter otrlt
  • Start date
  • Replies 550
  • Views 42,530
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's been happening for a year not but the people collecting unemployment are only getting an extra 300 instead of the 600 under trump.

What are you talking about? There was the 600 while Trump was in office and then the 1200 that took Congress forever to get through because of all the freaken pork that the Dems stuffed into it.
What is your opinion on sending millions to Pakistan for "Gender Studies" while a big portion of US citizens were out of work because the Government shut down the country. I'll be interested to see if you actually approve...I give it an 80% chance

Keynes was a very interesting man. He was at the top of his expertise.
Actually, I was talking about Richard Koo, who is equally sharp. But it must have happened during the database update time because that paragraph disappeared. Strange but true.

Anyway, Koo is a very smart guy. There are some videos of his speeches on youtube, if you feel like perusing them.

Interesting, is that your mentality? Most people I know will go to work, based on the opportunity to do better in the long run. I know enough young people who can not make it in this world because work just does not pay enough, cannot pay off their student loans, and are stuck. Work is part of who you are work is part of your dignity, it is part of expecting that your own dignity is worth a price.

The problem is not all people want to work, this is what you are missing. There are plenty of people that are content with living in a shack and collecting a paycheck. If they make too much money they lose out on free benefits. The new thing we are seeing with new job applications is that people apply for a job and get hired only to not show up for work. Why are they doing this? My guess is to show unemployment that they applied for a job but didn't get it. The one positive thing I am seeing is the young kids/interns are looking for jobs. A lot of the kids want to work and they want to make a difference but the typical dead weight loser just wants to collect a paycheck.

It’s a two way street. You’ll spend 100$ on osb sheet when min wage is 75$ an hour.

Just throw some extra zeros on the end of every number you see and all will be balanced

Except for those on a fixed income. I highly doubt those in retirement will see a commensurate increase in their monthly checks. We will starve seniors to pay for kids not interested in actual work to go to school to all be activist'

Actually, I was talking about Richard Koo, who is equally sharp. But it must have happened during the database update time because that paragraph disappeared. Strange but true.

Anyway, Koo is a very smart guy. There are some videos of his speeches on youtube, if you feel like perusing them.

I will check him out. Keynes was a very bright man and there is a lot of information about him. Most people know only a small amount. The thing is that it is really cool stuff.

Ok, tough truth time...

Anyone who pulls their cash out of the market on a downturn, and especially on what they THINK will be a downturn, is, to be brutally frank, a fucking idiot. An idiot who is going to, and deserves to, lose their shirt.

1) When you pull your money out on a downturn, what you do is set your losses in stone. You make them real losses. In the '08 mess, I know several people who did pull out, they "could not stand to see the losses get worse"
Problem is, the main recovery happened on about 4 or 5 days. Guess who wasn't in the market then? Right..... they were not, and that set them back severely. They still have not recovered. Most who had reasonable investments have seen at least a gain to 180% of the before-the-crash levels. The others? They may be back to where they had been by now, maybe.

2) If you just think there will be a crash, you are even worse off, because it probably won't happen, and won't be as bad as you think if it does. The people who were jumping out windows in 1929 were people who were highly leveraged, and were facing losing everything plus being millions in debt for margin calls.

Rule #1... You are NOT smarter than the market, the market does what it does for reasons you will never understand. "The market" is the collective opinions of a bunch of people who haven't a clue but think they do, and who have a two to 5 week look-ahead horizon, maximum.... make it then, or you are toast, to them.* So don't buy individual stocks, buy index funds.... they do better on average than pretty much all but the high end closed funds.

Rule #2... Leave your money in the market. Money in the bank or under the mattress is losing value every day. The only way to keep up with inflation is to have "something of value", something that people pay money for, and not actual money.

Rule 3... Don't let anyone scare you out of rule #2. The only scenario where rule #2 actually does not work is one in which money does not work either. Take money out if you need it, but try not to need it. Remember that being out of the market keeps your cash value "frozen"... looks good if stocks drop in value, but looks pretty nasty when they are going up, but you are stuck with just cash, out of the market.

I should not explain this...... I make a ton of money off people who freak and sell low. It's financing my retirement. So ignore that guff above, keep doing what you do, please!

* For example.... If a company misses its predicted sales mark, they get down-rated by the market... and sold off... of course, they are "under-performing". If that company EXCEEDS their predictions, they get down-rated by the market, because "they have nothing left", they are assumed not to be able to repeat that, they got the rest of the year's sales already, and are assumed to be about to do poorly. It's a crock of crap, and without logic... you will never understand it.

During a downturn a few years ago an elderly relative decided they wanted to get out of a pretty conservative fund they had a few thousand dollars in. I told them I didnt think they should....yep they did....a few short months later they realized their mistake. The way I tried to explain it was they were comparing the $ they still had prior to selling to 0....and the reality is 0 is the least likely of all options. But sometimes pessimism turns into defeatism.

The problem is not all people want to work, this is what you are missing. There are plenty of people that are content with living in a shack and collecting a paycheck. If they make too much money they lose out on free benefits. The new thing we are seeing with new job applications is that people apply for a job and get hired only to not show up for work. Why are they doing this? My guess is to show unemployment that they applied for a job but didn't get it. The one positive thing I am seeing is the young kids/interns are looking for jobs. A lot of the kids want to work and they want to make a difference but the typical dead weight loser just wants to collect a paycheck.

I think you propagating a myth It is true that there are people who will be happy with crums, but they are not over 10% of the working population who still uninployed or left the workforce.

If I had put my money in US bonds ,I would be 20% down right now .....the Oz dollar is considered a speculative currency ,and thats what Im in .....Incidentally ,the US dollar is falling ,not the other way round,as the Oz dollar has tracked the GBP for over two years now,always in the range 55p-56p....so I think its fair to say its the US dollar thats losing value....Which explains why US prices are rising.

If I had put my money in US bonds ,I would be 20% down right now .....the Oz dollar is considered a speculative currency ,and thats what Im in .....Incidentally ,the US dollar is falling ,not the other way round,as the Oz dollar has tracked the GBP for over two years now,always in the range 55p-56p....so I think its fair to say its the US dollar thats losing value....Which explains why US prices are rising.

It has paid higher interest in different times. Not a lot for sure. Stability has always been quite accepted regardless of the strength of the dollar which varies. You notice that trend. With all the continued spending associated with Covid effects and future infrastructure things could be challenging. A lot of Covid money is sitting around doing nothing. It is not all released and circulating in the economy completely. Heck if they can they would probably take a good bit back if they could. Who knows?

Back in 2012 I thought we would see sub parity with the EURO.
The EURO dropped to $103.4 by 2017 and then rallied.
These days a bit of a slump in USD makes that look less likely.
I would not count on the USD sliding much further but....

Technically the chart shows this level holding for some time..

You are right there...my biggest gripe about Trump was his spending...not his hurtful tweets as your triggered behinds was...actually....still is

I'm not really sure what you are trying to say here but it looks like you may be a little bit "triggered" yourself. I wonder if you are also "woke". You seem to like the fad words.

What are you talking about? There was the 600 while Trump was in office and then the 1200 that took Congress forever to get through because of all the freaken pork that the Dems stuffed into it.
What is your opinion on sending millions to Pakistan for "Gender Studies" while a big portion of US citizens were out of work because the Government shut down the country. I'll be interested to see if you actually approve...I give it an 80% chance

Can't you read? I said that people were getting an extra 600 unemployment under trump and only 300 under Biden. That's not so difficult, is it?

As to sending money to Pakistan or anywhere else, I think we send way too much money to way too many countries. We give Israel about a half million dollars an hour 24/7/365. I assume that it has something to do with religion.

PS. Do you have a link for that or is it something you heard on alex jones?

I wonder how a business person would handle something like this. Just say that they can have been buying something for $100 and selling it for $200. Now they can buy it for free and still sell it for $200. What do you think they would do? I never liked work so much that I was willing to do it for free for an employer to profit from my labor.

Colonial Pipeline---It's being reported thier "communication system" is down. Stay tuned for details.

This post shows where trueturning is in regards to the USA. He liked this post. So it appears that she likes anything bad that happens to the USA because it may make Biden look bad. Pretty disgusting really.

Are you so motivated that you would go to work for someone for free, just so people didn't think you are lazy? I wouldn't.

This post shows where trueturning is in regards to the USA. He liked this post. So it appears that she likes anything bad that happens to the USA because it may make Biden look bad. Pretty disgusting really.

Is Trueturning really a 'she' or is this just another example of Big B acting like a 3rd grader

I think you propagating a myth It is true that there are people who will be happy with crums, but they are not over 10% of the working population who still uninployed or left the workforce.

Here in northern Illinois there are a lot of help wanted signs all around the area and talking to a few friends and family, they are experiencing the same thing with the lack of people applying for those jobs. Why is that? I bet if we take away the extra $300 a week this will force some of those people back into the work force. We are at a point were we are hiring people that worked in fast food, pizza delivery, grocery store workers to load parts into machines. We are even offering sign bonuses for the new recruits.

Here in northern Illinois there are a lot of help wanted signs all around the area and talking to a few friends and family, they are experiencing the same thing with the lack of people applying for those jobs. Why is that? I bet if we take away the extra $300 a week this will force some of those people back into the work force. We are at a point were we are hiring people that worked in fast food, pizza delivery, grocery store workers to load parts into machines. We are even offering sign bonuses for the new recruits.

Possibly because all the people working for minimum wage, that people said "should go out and get better jobs".... Used the opportunity to "go out and get better jobs"... And now they're working those better jobs, for better wages, and they're unwilling to go back to the crappy jobs, for crappy wages?

You yourself are hiring burger flippers and offering sign on bonuses. Well, those people "went out and got better jobs".... And now there's nobody to flip the burgers, because they'd rather load machines and get a sign on bonus.

Astounding, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back