What's new
What's new

Marvel #1 power hacksaw, dragsaw for sale in Bakersfield, $100

Bill D

Diamond
Saw this on facebook in Bakersfield CA for $100. No relation or endorsement of seller. It is in parts, include flat belt pulley suff. He offered it to me for $75 and asked If he could pay me to restore it. He is not sure it is all there or not. no motor seen.
BILL D.

Attachments

• No.1 jpg.jpg
    No.1 jpg.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
Fun little saw. Good price in my opinion and I'd grab it if it was local to me. Most of this age are going to be a project anyway. Even if it was in one piece, it would have poorly made replacement parts to sort out, hack motor mounts, etc. It likely never had a motor and ran off of an overhead clutch, so to make it an independent driven machine I'd build a steel or wood skid under it with provision to mount a motor. You might need a jack shaft too to get a proper speed.

I've run into guys before selling projects who couldn't seem to make up their mind if they wanted to sell it or hire you to fix it for them. I get it, but it's messy. If you're at the point where you think you're in over your head, you either need to let it loose once you've shaken hands with someone you feel will give it the love it deserves, or you have to approach it like a contractor subbing out the tasks you can't do. It's like fixing a classic car and my experience is that the process of just handing a whole restoration over to someone to complete for you is ridiculously uneconomical and you WILL find things you don't like about what they did no matter how good they are. You can hire someone to do the transmission, someone to do the bodywork, someone to do the paint, etc. But no one can make the decisions for you.

Back