What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2022 issues

One feature that has disappeared was creating a point or a line referenced from another entity. For example if I need a point in space x.5 y.125 from an entity not knowing its exact location, it is no longer possible with 2022, you can create a point then proceed thru the transform/translate/x.../y... I contacted Mastercam about this and they were also stumped... I have been a user of Mastercant since 95 also...

Its still possible, just hold shift when you click. Been able to do that for a long time.

One feature that has disappeared was creating a point or a line referenced from another entity. For example if I need a point in space x.5 y.125 from an entity not knowing its exact location, it is no longer possible with 2022, you can create a point then proceed thru the transform/translate/x.../y... I contacted Mastercam about this and they were also stumped... I have been a user of Mastercant since 95 also...

You can, it's just that they made it less convenient. You have to go up to the autocursor ribbon dropdown and choose "Relative" then you have to click on the gnomon for X, put the number in and then Y and put the number in... It was way easier before when you could type the numbers in directly but you can still do it.

i love creating a ton of toolpaths and stock models, then having them all go dirty from simply selecting geometry for another toolpath! such a wonderful feature.

Just tried that, thanks! Gets you to the same place as the autocursor dropdown I mentioned though. I liked it better when you could put your X number in then comma, then your Y number.
You can still do that,just start typing. Or am I missing something?

Solid manipulation is most definitely easier in 2022 than it was previously.
I've had the same issue and the issue usually boils down to the fact that you're not selecting everything, or the features you selected will not make a flat face when removed.
Does that hole have chamfers on the ends of it? Remove those first.
OR
select everything you want gone, and then MOVE, then drag it off the main body.

Not on my end, so you're missing something.
2022 is by far their best release to date, and I've been using it since the V8 days way back when.
Is it perfect? Hell no, but 99 out of 100 problems with Mastercam usually boil down to the user not being familiar with something or not doing something correct.
After using it the same amount of time as you (V6 actually) how can Mastercam STILL not standardize how their geometry is picked in a toolpath since their revamp to X from V9 ??????

+1
I restart Mastercam usually twice a day for an 8 hour session.
Wow! I leave mine on all week, but then I only program lathes. We just went from 17 to 21. I've used MasterCam since V6.

I worked with our reseller...who worked with MasterCam...back in V9 to get the G76 threading cycle straightened out. Never happened and still the same in V21. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Only way I can get the G76 threading cycle to start at the point I select (on the initial threading operation) is to use a 0 degree compound infeed. Otherwise MC performs math on it and backs up the starting position. Re-thread with one pass maintains the value I put in causing a double thread if I don't run the post processor and subtract the value MC backed up from my original value on the first threading operation.

If someone knows what I am doing wrong, please speak up. I won't be the least upset.

The post should push back the infeed movements so the last pass is as the defined Z lead in position. That way the final pass is always at the specified Z position no matter the amount of passes called out. An op with 57 passes should end at the same Z position as an op with 1 pass.

If you are not seeing this behavior, its a post issue.

The post should push back the infeed movements so the last pass is as the defined Z lead in position. That way the final pass is always at the specified Z position no matter the amount of passes called out. An op with 57 passes should end at the same Z position as an op with 1 pass.

If you are not seeing this behavior, its a post issue.
I assume this is a reply to my post. I think you are confusing G76 cycle with G33/G32 cycles where each threading pass is posted. Whether it makes 7 passes or 57 passes a G76 uses (and must have) the same Z-starting point as the re-thread that only makes one pass. (Or two as most of our controls do. It's a paramter setting.)

If I give .3 as the starting point in the original threading operation and in the re-thread operation, then both operations must output Z.3 as the starting point in order to make good threads when using G76. MasterCam does math on the given value and backs up the starting point. This produces scrap using a G76 cycle.

Or are you telling me the post processor is doing the math on the given starting point? Doesn't seem likely, but I suppose anything is possible. That would mean we have all bad post processors. I always figured it was a MasterCam problem. So did our reseller. Seems otherwise someone (from either MasterCam or our reseller) would have mentioned it was a post problem.

Back