What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2023 Stock on Custom WCS - Huge Oversight?

Trevor360

Aluminum
Has anyone else watched this video from Caminstructor yet? Start at the part about defining stock at 11:50
In Summary, If you are trying to define stock on a part not aligned with the Top Plane, it now forces you to create duplicate versions of your Custom Plane, one where you would normaly put it and the other at the correct angle but must shares its origin point with the top plane.

This seems like a step backward for Mastercam 2023 over 2022 or a huge oversight on their part before releasing. I know everyone is always resistant to change and then "gets used to it," but I am not seeing how these added steps of creating duplicate planes out in space have any potential upside. All this achieves is an extra ten button clicks on every new setup and a more messy planes tab. If anyone from Mastercam or any other Mastercam users on this forum can explain the potential benefits of this new method that I am overlooking it would be greatly appreciated.

I understand there are always complaints about Updates, but usually, I am a fan of the updates Mastercam makes. I personally found 2017 to be a huge upgrade, and I have enjoyed all the updates from 2017-2022. But this particular feature of 2023 seems to be a step back. Maybe not the end of the world, but at least an extra minute of headache on every new project not using the Top plane. What are your thoughts?

Has anyone else watched this video from Caminstructor yet? Start at the part about defining stock at 11:50
In Summary, If you are trying to define stock on a part not aligned with the Top Plane, it now forces you to create duplicate versions of your Custom Plane, one where you would normaly put it and the other at the correct angle but must shares its origin point with the top plane.

This seems like a step backward for Mastercam 2023 over 2022 or a huge oversight on their part before releasing. I know everyone is always resistant to change and then "gets used to it," but I am not seeing how these added steps of creating duplicate planes out in space have any potential upside. All this achieves is an extra ten button clicks on every new setup and a more messy planes tab. If anyone from Mastercam or any other Mastercam users on this forum can explain the potential benefits of this new method that I am overlooking it would be greatly appreciated.

I understand there are always complaints about Updates, but usually, I am a fan of the updates Mastercam makes. I personally found 2017 to be a huge upgrade, and I have enjoyed all the updates from 2017-2022. But this particular feature of 2023 seems to be a step back. Maybe not the end of the world, but at least an extra minute of headache on every new project not using the Top plane. What are your thoughts?
just watched it last night. never thought that mastercant could get any worse than it already is, yet they proved me wrong!
complete and utter piece of garbage software.

Mastercam took a few steps back with this release.

Maybe not a few, but I'd definitely say at least 1 step backward.
It seems to me they pushed this new Machine Group Setup feature out knowing full well it was buggy as fuck, because they wanted to advertise the new features so they can justify maintenance for current users.
I don't criticize Mastercam often, but when I do, you can bet your ass that I'm more than just a little unhappy about something. I've been brutally honest about this being F.U.B.A.R. and not ready for release.

Speaking of half implemented, never finished features, when the Machine Definition was introduced, it was sold as eventually meaning you wouldn't need a post processor; or at least not one per machine. End result is you need a customized machine definition AND post processor for each machine, and keep them linked when you try to update them and share them across multiple computers.

Speaking of half implemented, never finished features, when the Machine Definition was introduced, it was sold as eventually meaning you wouldn't need a post processor; or at least not one per machine. End result is you need a customized machine definition AND post processor for each machine, and keep them linked when you try to update them and share them across multiple computers.
wouldnt expect anything less from those cucks

Is gibbscam anyworse? I haven't gotten any experience with it and start training on it soon! I have heard horror stories of fusion 360 and esprit

Yes, I agree this was a very poor decision on their part. I killed nearly an entire day trying to figure out what was going wrong in verification of an existing 2022 job that I brought into 2023. I'm usually pretty proactive moving to new releases and this is the first time I'm going to have to punt until they come up with some kind of fix. I expect to find some kind of bugs that make their way through beta, but this one seems pretty egregious.

All I can say is exercise extreme caution if you try to migrate large files that rely heavily on stock models (mold work, castings etc).

I'm usually pretty proactive moving to new releases and this is the first time I'm going to have to punt until they come up with some kind of fix.
Same here. This is the first time I've had any major issues with a new release.
I'm only going to mess with it when I have time, but that time is very valuable these days as we're busy as hell. I didn't have much time in the Beta this year to mess with it.

FYI. Yesterday the Mastercam folks stated that there was a fix in the works in the next patch/update. No idea on timeline other than sooner than later. I'm not sure what all is going to be addressed, but it did sound as though the stock model/plane behavior will go back to the way it was in 2022.

Hello, all.

We have a fix for this coming in Mastercam 2023 Update 1. Here's a quick summary of the changes so far...

• The origin values now represent the stock origin relative to the stock plane, not the origin of the stock plane itself (no longer creates additional plane).
  • In some cases, Bounding Box was incorrectly populated from the current stock definition and therefore being displayed in the wrong location.
This update is currently in the testing phase and will be released as soon as possible.

Last edited:
FYI. Yesterday the Mastercam folks stated that there was a fix in the works in the next patch/update. No idea on timeline other than sooner than later. I'm not sure what all is going to be addressed, but it did sound as though the stock model/plane behavior will go back to the way it was in 2022.

Hello, all.

We have a fix for this coming in Mastercam 2023 Update 1. Here's a quick summary of the changes so far...

• The origin values now represent the stock origin relative to the stock plane, not the origin of the stock plane itself (no longer creates additional plane).
  • In some cases, Bounding Box was incorrectly populated from the current stock definition and therefore being displayed in the wrong location.
This update is currently in the testing phase and will be released as soon as possible.
I would imagine that this fix is top priority. At least I would hope so.

Hello, all.

That is good news that they are addressing the issue. Where do you see these updates?

YEP. Not impressed.

Back