What's new
What's new

Mastercam 2024 stuck on "Checking License..."

Narcoleptic

Plastic
I've got a copy of the Mastercam student license, as CAD\CAM is part of my 4th year machinist schooling. I'm starting it up to open up some homework, and it's been sitting on "checking license" for long enough that i've googled the problem, gone to the mastercam website and found out that I don't have access to the forums there, and there is no support on the mastercam website, AND there's no reseller listed under my account, so I literally have no way to get support from mastercam that isn't scrolling through the knowledge base with my fingers crossed..

Restarting mastercam doesn't help the issue. Rebooting the computer and then restarting mastercam doesn't help the issue. Not sure what else I can do.

Anyone here think they can be of any help? I'd like to get my homework done tonight lol.

Ugh. Of course I figure it out immediately after posting..

Turns out opening mastercam by opening the .emcam file makes it hang like this. Opening mastercam first, then opening the .emcam inside the instance works. Good thing Mastercam has locked me out of any support on their site so I can't make a bug report...

Interestingly, It crashed the second time I opened the file. Popped up this dialog:
"lastError was = The operation completed successfully"

Starting to think Mastercam 2024 is pretty full of bugs...Untitled.png

You’re joking right? I should be able to double click on the file and have the program actually open, not just hang. If this kinda stuff is common enough that you’re gonna mock me for talking about it, then yeah, I guess it’s full of bugs like I said.

Dick.
Easy there, chief. In my experience, opening CAD/CAM files from Windows File Explorer isn't best practice. Particularly with a Working-Directory based system like ProE (Creo), opening the program first before the file allows you to make sure that you're loading the correct settings for your seat, the correct folder to dump new files into, and the correct drives to pull templates/formats/libraries from.

That being said, I don't think Mastercam should hang when you try to open a file directly. However, it's conceivable that it's opening with a "default" version of the program which doesn't know how to find your school's license vs. the one on your desktop which has been pointed to the license file (just spitballing here - I do not know if that is how Mastercam actually works).

Easy there, chief. In my experience, opening CAD/CAM files from Windows File Explorer isn't best practice. Particularly with a Working-Directory based system like ProE (Creo), opening the program first before the file allows you to make sure that you're loading the correct settings for your seat, the correct folder to dump new files into, and the correct drives to pull templates/formats/libraries from.

That being said, I don't think Mastercam should hang when you try to open a file directly. However, it's conceivable that it's opening with a "default" version of the program which doesn't know how to find your school's license vs. the one on your desktop which has been pointed to the license file (just spitballing here - I do not know if that is how Mastercam actually works).
Thanks, you would think that the instructors would have mentioned that instead of dropping files on our desktops and having us open them.

This is at my home, btw. I am using a personal learning license on my home PC, I'm not signing into my school's infrastructure in any way. Just extra info.

Last edited:
You’re joking right? I should be able to double click on the file and have the program actually open, not just hang. If this kinda stuff is common enough that you’re gonna mock me for talking about it, then yeah, I guess it’s full of bugs like I said.

Dick.

No, I'm serious. I find it quite funny when new users blame software for it not working how they want it to.

No, I'm serious. I find it quite funny when new users blame software when they don't know the bug workarounds everyone else does.

There, I fixed it for you.

My dude. What other mass use software can't open it's files directly? You want to play an MP3? You click the MP3 and it opens your playback software. Watch a movie? Click the movie, it opens the video decoding software and plays the movie. It's standard shit.

If I click on a mastercam file, and mastercam HANGS WHILE LOADING, that's a bug whether you think it's funny that I don't know the workaround or not, and you're being a gatekeeping asshole.

Last edited:
My dude. What other mass use software can't open it's files directly?
New to Windoze, huh? I hope you're a Mac guy because all of this goes back to Windoze and its origins of crap file-type management.

If I click on a mastercam file, and mastercam HANGS WHILE LOADING, that's a bug whether you think it's funny that I don't know the workaround or not, and you're being a gatekeeping asshole.
He's not handling it delicately but, yeah, that's how a lot of software works when they have some kind of external licensing method (dongle, network authentication, temporary license). I worked in aerospace / defense and used both NX (UGhh) and Catia (Solidworks on drugs). Both had to be started by an external application that checked out different saved sets of licenses that you planned to use during that session. Double click some saved CAD file and it wouldn't open at all. You'd get a dead CAD session, with no toolbars and a couple of errors.

gone to the mastercam website and found out that I don't have access to the forums there, and there is no support on the mastercam website,
Create an account on the official site and post a question on there. You don't need to purchase Mastercam to be able to post on those forums.
Also where did you get the copy from? And did you register the license for it?

Good thing Mastercam has locked me out of any support on their site so I can't make a bug report...
No they didn't. Stop lying.
Also if it was "full of bugs" nobody would be using it.

Yesterday day shift left a robot arm in crashed state- blaming the machine. It crashed into drops on the floor, after it gave message to make sure there was nothing in its path under material. Sure, that machine is buggy but operator error is 11 out of 10 mistakes.
Different operator burned the torch head off a plasma yesterday. Not just welding nozzle to sheild, burnt the body up. With a quick glance at the table I knew what caused it and how. Operator error followed by failure to pay attention after a warning torch collision or 3.

Plenty on all cam with bugs. Opening a file straight from outside the program ain’t one.

@narco
You are solidly correct, it should work. And making excuses for badly engineered software is not a solution. Unfortunately file association and opening failures are common in windows. On top of that, there is a lot of software that doesn't comply with standard windows practices, such as installers for instance; there are so many differences between various app behavior; nothing is consistent. It's pathetic, really. Moral of the story, it is what it is, accept windows and application software isn't perfect, use work-arounds and complete your projects but never ever accept mediocrity as being okay. MC isn't considered a top tier application but a lot of people use it. It's more of a marketing success than being good at what it's supposed to do, really. While it does some cool things, the cam side is okay, not great. Modeling is blah, it doesn't do assemblies, nor is there decent drafting, and they like to invest their resources in feature development while not addressing serious issues that perpetually frustrate and piss off the user base. Many shops use a mish-mash of MC and other cad but that's common if the cam software only focuses on cam. A buddy of mine is a CAM-TOOL user and to him NOTHING else exists that is worth considering, even though it does much less than most other decent cam software lol.

@narco
You are solidly correct, it should work. And making excuses for badly engineered software is not a solution. Unfortunately file association and opening failures are common in windows. On top of that, there is a lot of software that doesn't comply with standard windows practices, such as installers for instance; there are so many differences between various app behavior; nothing is consistent. It's pathetic, really. Moral of the story, it is what it is, accept windows and application software isn't perfect, use work-arounds and complete your projects but never ever accept mediocrity as being okay. MC isn't considered a top tier application but a lot of people use it. It's more of a marketing success than being good at what it's supposed to do, really. While it does some cool things, the cam side is okay, not great. Modeling is blah, it doesn't do assemblies, nor is there decent drafting, and they like to invest their resources in feature development while not addressing serious issues that perpetually frustrate and piss off the user base. Many shops use a mish-mash of MC and other cad but that's common if the cam software only focuses on cam. A buddy of mine is a CAM-TOOL user and to him NOTHING else exists that is worth considering, even though it does much less than most other decent cam software lol.
It's not Mastercam.
It's not Windows and file association.

It's searching for the license which he didn't register properly. My guess is he copied it from someone at his school instead of creating an account on the official site and following the instructions to download it and register it.
It won't work unless he registers the license.

It's not Mastercam.
It's not Windows and file association.

It's searching for the license which he didn't register properly. My guess is he copied it from someone at his school instead of creating an account on the official site and following the instructions to download it and register it.
It won't work unless he registers the license.

Do I get to be a dick now because you didn’t know a free limited license wasn’t a thing? I got the license directly from mastercam, and downloaded it from them. It does everything except post code.

Create an account on the official site and post a question on there. You don't need to purchase Mastercam to be able to post on those forums.
Also where did you get the copy from? And did you register the license for it?

No they didn't. Stop lying.
Also if it was "full of bugs" nobody would be using it.
"you do not have permission" to access the forums. With my mastercam account, on the mastercam website.

Attachments

• permission.png
    permission.png
    683 KB · Views: 5
Do I get to be a dick now because you didn’t know a free limited license wasn’t a thing? I got the license directly from mastercam, and downloaded it from them. It does everything except post code.
What makes you think I didn't know it existed?
FYI we have that same version on our shop floor for the mill guys to use.
You HAVE TO REGISTER THE LICENSE in order to use that version.
Since you're incapable of using the official forums, you can email them.

"When you start Mastercam for the first time, you will be prompted with a pop-up dialog asking if you have an activation code. Click 'Yes' to automatically launch the Activation Wizard. Follow the instructions and use the license number and activation code listed below to complete the activation process."

What makes you think I didn't know it existed?
FYI we have that same version on our shop floor for the mill guys to use.
You HAVE TO REGISTER THE LICENSE in order to use that version.
Since you're incapable of using the official forums, you can email them.

"When you start Mastercam for the first time, you will be prompted with a pop-up dialog asking if you have an activation code. Click 'Yes' to automatically launch the Activation Wizard. Follow the instructions and use the license number and activation code listed below to complete the activation process."
I’m aware. It is registered.

First rule of Mastercam is to never use the latest release of Mastercam. Second rule of Mastercam is (well, you know the rest)

But seriously. I finally had a Mastercam reseller tell me this for the first time last year. Which, of course, I've known since I first started using Mastercam V8 in 1998 or so, but it was nice to actually hear it from the horse's mouth.

First rule of Mastercam is to never use the latest release of Mastercam. Second rule of Mastercam is (well, you know the rest)

But seriously. I finally had a Mastercam reseller tell me this for the first time last year. Which, of course, I've known since I first started using Mastercam V8 in 1998 or so, but it was nice to actually hear it from the horse's mouth.
It’s what we’re using in class, the instructor says the same thing haha

Back