What's new
What's new

Mastercam Default plane creation in Mill turn

thedude31

Plastic
Firs time programming a Mill turn and used Streaming teacher's videos to get familiar with Mill turn programming. I'm aware MC likes to create it's own planes when making tool paths but I'm looking at the orientation of the plane it created and worried that its oriented wrong. Should the plane y and x be pointed in this direction? Machine is a DMG Mori Seiki NT 4250 with right hand sub spindle. When I simulate it it looks like the tools go to the right places. Im programming on the right hand spindle. Any help would be appreciated.

1660563206233.png

I'm aware MC likes to create it's own planes when making tool paths

I've never had it create it's own planes when making a tool path. I do 3,4 and 5 axis mill paths all the time.

As for your datum position, I would think that the Y needs to be pointed away, no?
Never ran a mill turn with a right spindle so chances are I'm wrong.

I've never had it create it's own planes when making a tool path. I do 3,4 and 5 axis mill paths all the time.

As for your datum position, I would think that the Y needs to be pointed away, no?
Never ran a mill turn with a right spindle so chances are I'm wrong
I'ts creating planes are I program Drill, Contour and Curve tool paths. It doesnt let me just tie all the cycles into 1 plane which i find odd. I'm running MC 2022.

Not sure if the orientation is correct. So i created two programs one with the current set up and another with y pointing away and x towards the right. Trying to test the program but getting illegal alarms. Need to contact our post developer and see if they can help.

I'ts creating planes are I program Drill, Contour and Curve tool paths. It doesnt let me just tie all the cycles into 1 plane which i find odd. I'm running MC 2022.

Not sure if the orientation is correct. So i created two programs one with the current set up and another with y pointing away and x towards the right. Trying to test the program but getting illegal alarms. Need to contact our post developer and see if they can help.
When you're creating these toolpaths, are you in the TOP view and TOP WCS?

Mill-turn makes a new plane based on what you select in the setup section (Y-axis Face, Y-axis Cross, Multiaxis etc), and I believe it's a new duplicate plane for each toolpath. I don't think it uses the standard planes at all.

Never ran a mill turn with a right spindle so chances are I'm wrong.
Mastercam mill-turn is quite a bit different than even Mastercam multiaxis. You do little to nothing in the way of plane creation. Mastercam handles it all for you.

Mill turn likes to create a plane for each operation. For whatever reason most to all planes will be at the same wcs location but there's always that odd plan that drifts away in x. Will the drifted plane get treated the same way in multiaxis world where the coordinate system for that operation is now based on the drifted plane instead of the main plane? Esprit was a lot easier to handle plane creation you had your WCS and any plane created would be calculated from the located plane and main WCS. There was no need to adjust locations to any new plane. Most of my experience comes from Esprit.

Back