What's new
What's new

Mastercam forcing me to buy more maintenance to fix essential features. What do you guys think of this?

mmurray70

Stainless
Hey guys we bought a couple seats of mastercam this spring. I was hoping to avoid maintenance and just use the perpetual license. We waited a while to upgrade to 2024 incase there were any serious bugs with it. Everyone online seemed to think it was pretty solid so I started using it too. Shortly after I found out there was an issue with managing the machine definition/post files. If you add a post, then delete it, its still there, no way possible to get rid of it. They told me this issue would be fixed soon. I assumed it would be fixed in the next update and be available to everyone with 2024 since managing these machine/control definition and post files is an essential part of using mastercam.

A few days ago they released update 3 and the issue is NOT fixed and even this update has a more recent maintenance date then we have. I called and asked them about it and they told me I would need to buy one year maintenance at a cost of almost 8 grand. I understand about paying maintenance to have the latest and greatest features and fixing minor bugs. But managing these files is a very serious issue, I feel like this issue should have been fixed for everyone. I need to be able to manage my machine files properly. What do you guys think? Does this seem fair?

Isn't 1 year of maintenance included in your purchase? So you should be good for updates until next spring. I'm sure they'll have another update before then.

But, as far as your issue goes...I've not encountered this nor do I really understand what you mean. You can't delete an old post? Are you talking once you linked it in a machine/control def you can't switch? If that's the case, just make a new one that is linked to the new post. If you have some strange workflow where this isn't possible, downgrade to 2023.

Isn't 1 year of maintenance included in your purchase? So you should be good for updates until next spring. I'm sure they'll have another update before then.

But, as far as your issue goes...I've not encountered this nor do I really understand what you mean. You can't delete an old post? Are you talking once you linked it in a machine/control def you can't switch? If that's the case, just make a new one that is linked to the new post. If you have some strange workflow where this isn't possible, downgrade to 2023.
No I didnt get the 1 year maintenance.

Yes once you add a post to the machine/control definition you cant delete it with 2024. You hit delete, looks like its gone, then open again and its still there. More details here. https://www.emastercam.com/forums/topic/106799-control-definitionpost-bug-in-2024/

What exactly is involved with making a new machine def from scratch? Im not an expert with this stuff. I usually use the MD_CD_PST C-hook to completely copy one machine to a new name for edits. And this isnt working now because of the 2 posts linked to the machine def. So then i tried to remove the second post, and this is where i get stuck lol.

Ok, read the thread. Ya, guess it sticks but why is this an issue? The post you want is still being used, the old just happens to still be listed. And if that old post file doesn't exist, its a double nothing burger.

Ok, read the thread. Ya, guess it sticks but why is this an issue? The post you want is still being used, the old just happens to still be listed. And if that old post file doesn't exist, its a double nothing burger.
Its big deal to me for couple reasons. First is im a little ocd i guess, drives me absolutely crazy that the wrong post is listed there. And worries me that someone can accidentally choose the wrong post even though the right machine is selected. Could lead to a crash which can cause broken tools, scrapped parts, damaged machine, injuries, or even kill somebody.

And second and more important reason is I cant make any other changes to my machine/post now. The MD_CD_PST c-hook used to make a copy wont work now because there are 2 posts. So if i want to make a copy of my machine and make some tweaks, I cant do it. I need to be able to do this

So you opted out of the maintenance to save money, and are upset that maintenance is needed to get the latest updates?
:unsure:
I hear what your saying, but feel like this is a serious issue. Usually the first few updates fix the real important stuff and have the same maintenance date as the initial release. I feel like this should have been looked after the same way.

I hear what your saying, but feel like this is a serious issue. Usually the first few updates fix the real important stuff and have the same maintenance date as the initial release. I feel like this should have been looked after the same way.
Unfortunately they don't put a lot of effort into fixing bugs of past releases when a new version is out unless it's a major one that makes it borderline unusable. But I think you get that no matter what software you're using.

Hey guys we bought a couple seats of mastercam this spring. I was hoping to avoid maintenance and just use the perpetual license. We waited a while to upgrade to 2024 incase there were any serious bugs with it. Everyone online seemed to think it was pretty solid so I started using it too. Shortly after I found out there was an issue with managing the machine definition/post files. If you add a post, then delete it, its still there, no way possible to get rid of it. They told me this issue would be fixed soon. I assumed it would be fixed in the next update and be available to everyone with 2024 since managing these machine/control definition and post files is an essential part of using mastercam.

A few days ago they released update 3 and the issue is NOT fixed and even this update has a more recent maintenance date then we have. I called and asked them about it and they told me I would need to buy one year maintenance at a cost of almost 8 grand. I understand about paying maintenance to have the latest and greatest features and fixing minor bugs. But managing these files is a very serious issue, I feel like this issue should have been fixed for everyone. I need to be able to manage my machine files properly. What do you guys think? Does this seem fair?
masterCUNT doing masterCUNT things? say it aint so...

Yes its a reality, all the software companies treat us poorly and charge top dollar for everything.

Despite the negative comments ive been fairly happy overall with Mastercam 2024. It has been working fairly well other then this minor issue. And I have my perpetual licenses now and that should take me to retirement possibly without spending another dollar on cam software ever. Im glad I got in before everything goes to subscription.

No I didnt get the 1 year maintenance.
This was unfortunately your second mistake right here, your first was buying the first release of 2024 thinking there wouldn't be bugs.

I don't run MasterCam, but this is something I've learned with just about every software, the new release is going to have issues. I typically don't update my CAM until the last Service Pack, sometimes the 3rd depending what I see in the release notes, and at that time is when I update my SolidWorks version as well, to the previous years last Service Pack.

For instance if my CAM is on 2023 my SolidWorks will be on 2022 SP5. I know the new CAM releases for CAMWorks are based on that last SP for SolidWorks and will function the best.

Last edited:
This was unfortunately your second mistake right here, your first was buying the first release of 2024 thinking there wouldn't be bugs.
Mastercam 2024 is on update 3 and will probably not be updated anymore, the next release will be MC2025. And the bug is still there.
They would need to change how they develop software (won't happen I know). I've seen it in other software, where you receive bugfixes for old software but new features are only for paying customers.

Mastercam 2024 is on update 3 and will probably not be updated anymore, the next release will be MC2025
2025 won't be released until July-ish 2024. There could potentially be 2 more updates for 2024.
However, they tend to focus first on bugs that crash Mastercam or your machine.
Then on bugs that the most people have in common.
If you're one of very few that encounter this issue then the chances of it getting fixed is low.

Makes me wonder if their dev team has gotten smaller over the past few years.

Back