What's new
What's new

Mastercam laptops?

RDMEngi

Plastic
Helping my coworker find a laptop for mastercam so we can learn together.
I have a desktop so it's been a while since I looked at laptops and was hoping I don't help him make a purchase he regrets.
i know sometimes "equivalent hardware" can sometimes be crappier on a laptop.

here is the link for the recommended specs

and here are some laptops i took a quick gander at.

i saw some other laptops with 32g of ram but they seemed to be lacking heavily in the video card department.
would love and appreciate some feedback.

I'm running a gaming laptop ( 2021 purchase ) MSI GL65 with 64 GB RAM. It has a GTX 1650 video card. If you go they way of a gaming laptop make sure you go for the best video card you can afford. Mine is on the lower end and I wish I had upgraded. Otherwise, It does everything I need it to. I have also run Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks.

The Dell Precision laptops are a good choice too, and can be had used for real good prices. I have been running an M6800 model for several years and it's never so much as balked once. I'm running Mastercam 2023 now and it processes toolpaths pretty quick and verifies fine without any delay. I saw one for sale at Discount Electronics with Nvidia T2000 video that is a good deal at $1300.

I went with Orbital Computers. Fair price but excellent laptops. Picked mine up a year ago and zero lag, loads quickly and I love it. Not cheap but worth it IMO if you do not have a desktop and use it for everything like I do.

i've never had good luck using laptops to program with. you could have the same components in the laptop as a desktop, and they absolutely will NOT perform the same. avoid them unless 100% necessary, you'll be much happier.

i've never had good luck using laptops to program with. you could have the same components in the laptop as a desktop, and they absolutely will NOT perform the same. avoid them unless 100% necessary, you'll be much happier.
And the desktop with the same components will be a lot cheaper.
And the lower cost makes it so you can buy a Pro level card, that is in the recommendations.
System Reqs
and the machine is up-gradable.

Also to mention CAD/CAM is heavy single threaded.

And the lower cost makes it so you can buy a Pro level card, that is in the recommendations.
System Reqs
and the machine is up-gradable.

Also to mention CAD/CAM is heavy single threaded.
single threaded part is very important. dont get something with dozens of cores, focus on a cpu with higher clock rates. and i would HIGHLY recommend a system with ECC memory.

single threaded part is very important. dont get something with dozens of cores, focus on a cpu with higher clock rates. and i would HIGHLY recommend a system with ECC memory.
Yup as we talked before, current situation is prime.
A i9 13900k with the same architecture as the Xeon W
with a workstation MB and ECC memory
Even using WIndows 10, disable the E-Cores
add a pro card.
and you have a low cost, high speed, ECC, rig with fast multi core, and maximum single thread capability with far less workstation cost.
talkin sub $2k system that is at the top of the game and comparable to a $3-4k Xeon workstation of equal, with prior W CPU's because new ones didnt come out.

Yup as we talked before, current situation is prime.
A i9 13900k with the same architecture as the Xeon W
with a workstation MB and ECC memory
Even using WIndows 10, disable the E-Cores
add a pro card.
and you have a low cost, high speed, ECC, rig with fast multi core, and maximum single thread capability with far less workstation cost.
talkin sub $2k system that is at the top of the game and comparable to a $3-4k Xeon workstation of equal, with prior W CPU's because new ones didnt come out.
this is my setup, with 128gb ECC ram, and RTX A5500.

Those are not bad requirements. Used Hp elitebook 8770. Old but is going to be cheap and have plenty of umph for your needs.

This is what I use when I travel or go on vacation. An older Elitebook.
Its no where near the Minimum requirements Cimatron requires but it works.

You should give more information on the geometry you pull in. Are they simple 2d parts or huge complex 3d parts. Makes a big difference.

This is what I use when I travel or go on vacation. An older Elitebook.
Its no where near the Minimum requirements Cimatron requires but it works.

You should give more information on the geometry you pull in. Are they simple 2d parts or huge complex 3d parts. Makes a big difference.
My old 8770 w is on the shop floor for cad checking, still faster than the i7 nividea ti desktop at work. Amd Pro graphics cards make a big difference. Current daily is a zbook- not in the 800 dollar range.
For larger mesh files the zbook is faster, for nurbs both are about the same. Single thread clock speeds have not increased in years.

My old 8770 w is on the shop floor for cad checking, still faster than the i7 nividea ti desktop at work. Amd Pro graphics cards make a big difference. Current daily is a zbook- not in the 800 dollar range.
For larger mesh files the zbook is faster, for nurbs both are about the same. Single thread clock speeds have not increased in years.
Do you have files that have 100k entities or more on the screen at once? Or hundreds of solid models on the screen? That's what makes modern pc's struggle the most in Mastercam.

Do you have files that have 100k entities or more on the screen at once? Or hundreds of solid models on the screen? That's what makes modern pc's struggle the most in Mastercam.
Also if your one of those 3D scanner guys, that like to scan and bring in those high rez. mesh models from 3D scanners.(STL)
I have a buddy that does that, chokes the system like crazy, but he needs the laptop to get into cars and scan panels,
but then he smartly brings the data into an actual tower workstation for processing.

Last edited:
I can have hundreds of solids without problems. Some autocad files with very little 2d can make me want thro things more than my vocabulary can communicate. Autocad files….
Stl assemblies with multi hundred thousand points do slow my zbook, not happening at all on old elitebook.
Reference the elitebook is 6 gen i5 with FirePro 16 g ram. New one is I7 gazzilion core amd pro with 64 g . Internet with 12 tabs, multi cad windows, multi cam (pipe coper, dstv generator) open same time.
Single thread compute operations like pdf to cad or stl to nurb take about the same time.

Back