What's new
What's new

Mastercam Surfaces: in need of Overflow UV help

OliviaB

Plastic
Hey all, I've been fighting with the Overflow UV function all morning and am wondering if there's something I'm missing. I only have a mill 2d license but need to do some 3d surfacing. Short of creating toolpaths for each individual surface, I'm looking to join multiple surfaces together using the Overflow UV tool as Mastercam showed in their own tutorial.
1715791681144.png
I cannot escape this error regardless of surfaces selected. I followed the tutorial to a T, contacted my local rep for support, and haven't gotten any further than when i opened my laptop this morning. First i tried making this whole pocket a single surface, and for the last 20 minutes ive been trying to join smaller surfaces. I'm sure I'm missing something small, or maybe don't understand all of the rules to use this feature. I have all planes including the C plane set to top

My process is,
Curve on edge around perimeter of desired surfaces and place on level 1. Next, take this wireframe and set it up as a flat boundary.
On level 2, i create surfaces from solid and pick up on all of the surfaces i selected for level 1.
After that, i select Overflow UV, pick my flat boundary from level one and project it downwards onto my level 2 surfaces.

This error seems inescapable, and my local Mastercam Tech support couldn't get past it either. Am i missing something? I've been trying to get creative in which surfaces i select, hence the hole in the flat boundary shown in my screenshot, but that didn't change anything.

Any advice would be so so much appreciated

Last edited:
Hey all, I've been fighting with the Overflow UV function all morning and am wondering if there's something I'm missing. I only have a mill 2d license but need to do some 3d surfacing. Short of creating toolpaths for each individual surface, I'm looking to join multiple surfaces together using the Overflow UV tool as Mastercam showed in their own tutorial.
View attachment 439877
I cannot escape this error regardless of surfaces selected. I followed the tutorial to a T, contacted my local rep for support, and haven't gotten any further than when i opened my laptop this morning. First i tried making this whole pocket a single surface, and for the last 20 minutes ive been trying to join smaller surfaces. I'm sure I'm missing something small, or maybe don't understand all of the rules to use this feature. I have all planes including the C plane set to top

My process is,
Curve on edge around perimeter of desired surfaces and place on level 1. Next, take this wireframe and set it up as a flat boundary.
On level 2, i create surfaces from solid and pick up on all of the surfaces i selected for level 1.
After that, i select Overflow UV, pick my flat boundary from level one and project it downwards onto my level 2 surfaces.

This error seems inescapable, and my local Mastercam Tech support couldn't get past it either. Am i missing something? I've been trying to get creative in which surfaces i select, hence the hole in the flat boundary shown in my screenshot, but that didn't change anything.

Any advice would be so so much appreciated
I don't use Masterscam, but with any software, why don't you remove that hole.

I don't use Masterscam, but with any software, why don't you remove that hole.
i should have, but Mastercam wouldn't execute the fill hole function- and I'm not proficient in any other cad software. the parts are nearly finished by now and I'm just dialing them in based on the engineers requests

You could create wireframe on all the solid face edges, and use that to make a Coons patch or Net surface.

The correct answer is to upgrade your Mastercam license; you can get away with a lesser license if you're good enough, but it takes extra skill, time, and effort.

You could create wireframe on all the solid face edges, and use that to make a Coons patch or Net surface.

The correct answer is to upgrade your Mastercam license; you can get away with a lesser license if you're good enough, but it takes extra skill, time, and effort.
i just got done with the part. with the exception of one surface, it came out great. Unfortunately, its a hard sell for my company to shell out 7k for some features i use once every 6 weeks

i just got done with the part. with the exception of one surface, it came out great. Unfortunately, its a hard sell for my company to shell out 7k for some features i use once every 6 weeks
Every 6 weeks I have to dig a 6ft. hole in my back yard, but because I don't dig a hole every day, I don't buy a shovel, I just do it with my hands. :ROFLMAO:
Give'm that logic:D

The return on investment would earn them much more than the 7k price tag. You'd be way more efficient at programming.
I definitely agree. Plus, my end product would be much better. But since we dont make money directly from our machine shop, they dont prioritize these things

Every 6 weeks I have to dig a 6ft. hole in my back yard, but because I don't dig a hole every day, I don't buy a shovel, I just do it with my hands. :ROFLMAO:
Give'm that logic:D
That's exactly how they run the show here. "well, we haven't had a shovel for the last 24 years so why would we need one now?"

I've been trying to get a panel saw into the shop for cutting the 4x8 sheets of plexiglass and the 2x4 sheets of aluminium that we're always using. instead, bust out the sawhorses and the jigsaw.

That's exactly how they run the show here. "well, we haven't had a shovel for the last 24 years so why would we need one now?"

I've been trying to get a panel saw into the shop for cutting the 4x8 sheets of plexiglass and the 2x4 sheets of aluminium that we're always using. instead, bust out the sawhorses and the jigsaw.
Had a old boss say "your the victim of your own competence"
Never thought of it that way, yep, kinda screw yourself sometimes.
Knowing this I have even, maybe, a couple times, lied and said I can't do this, without this.
And I got it :D

You guys are joking right?:scratchchin:
I believe they are getting a model from a different software from a customer and loading into Masterscam
unless you ran some sort of Masterscam feature recognition (on an injection mold 🤣)
there wont be a feature tree.

Back