What's new
What's new

Material choice for drawer bottom & shelf.

Kipling79

Plastic
So, I've once again backed myself into a design-corner and this is the best forum I can think of for material knowledge.

I am making an aluminum drawer/cargo platform for the rear of my new vehicle. The platform is already functional, it is the drawer bottom material that has me at a standstill (I also plan on using the same material as a "top" for the drawer for workspace when the drawer is extended). Now that I have priced the aluminum, though (for just the frame alone!), I'm looking for alternative materials.

Basically, the drawer bottom will be 32"x30", with full perimeter support on a 3/4" ledge, and ideally should be 3/16“ thick or less. I don't mind adding support, and know I will likely have to. (Thinking inverted Tee-bar for supporting two 16“x30“ sheets, or more, if needed).

The rear of the vehicle is usually enclosed, so moisture shouldn't be a regular issue, but I would like everything to be waterproof. As far as strength goes... If it can survive a Reese hitch being tossed in, it should be strong enough for me.

I have looked ad HDPE, but see reports of waves developing at this sheet thickness. I like the idea of composite boards, but am not sure how brittle they are.

Anyone have a brilliant idea? Or should I just stick with some sealed high-grade plywood?

Or should I just stick with some sealed high-grade plywood?

You might have to take humidity into account if you go the plywood route, which is what I would choose so you can spray paint it any color you like or even carpet it.
There is Lexan also.
Or maybe a thin steel plate 3/16 thick or so and paint it? But that would be heavy.

Sintra. Expanded pvc. Any plastics distributor carries it. Stiff and flat

Love that shit.

It's actually MADE to machine.

Wave factor is inconsequential.

Maybe .005 at the most.

I've made dozens of routed Slot car tracks with the stuff, You can't kill it.

If aluminum prices scared you, brace yourself because everything will be too high. 3/16 aluminum that size would work bit if you put very much in the drawer maybe not. Pretty much anything thinner will just beat to death if you have things like tools in the drawer. How about steel?

These suggestions are great. I appreciate the input.

I had designed the drawer with the shallowest possible height to fit a few specific items, while conserving as much cargo space above as possible. The real annoyance will be usability. It's a bronco with a swing-out tailgate, and if the drawer height increases much more I won't have enough room to quickly toss items into the cargo area above without undoing the soft top's window.

I will be looking into these materials... maybe they will be the trick, especially if I go up to 1/4" or a bit more. The varied suggestions do have me pondering the idea of making my own laminate with plastic and birch plywood, though.

In the end, it's looking like I may have to double my budget for the aluminum bottom, or deal with the weight of steel. One failed experiment with these cheaper materials and I would already be to the price of aluminum. I also don't want a drawer that is on the lower end of usable strength (and a lifetime of annoyance & cursing everytime I load groceries!).

Back