What's new
What's new

Material for gear

magneticanomaly

Titanium
I am considering welding on a partial ring of material to replace the broken portion of bull gear on "my badly beaten Becker", then re-cutting the teeth over the replaced portion. I am not gojng to find an arc-shaped piece of cast iron, and I happen to have some wrought-iron bars of about the right cross-section (about 1 x 2"). I have no doubts about being able to get the new rim-section, replacement spokes, and broken original spoke satisfactorily welded together. (Bevel, fixture, preheat whole assembly to 1000deg F, weld with E-NiFe 55, re-soak and slow cool)

Wrought-iron should be easier to machine than steel.

What I wonder about is the strength of wrought-iron teeth. Wrought-iron is of course stronger in tension than CI...along the grain. But the bending stress on the new gear teeth will be across the grain. Cast iron of course is weak because it is interrupted by graphite. Wrought iron is not very strong across the grain because interrupted by slag. My WAG is that across-the-grain wrought-iron teeth will be easilyas strong as CI teeth, so it will work.

Anyone disagree, or have a better suggestion?

IIRC, the original problem was that the gear in question was a large, open spoked ring gear that was missing a whole big section, so just fill brazing and cutting teeth doesn't apply.
I think that brazing in a piece of mild steel, cut to the rim shape, would work, and not be problematic to machine later.

Good quality wrought iron machines well. Poor quality wrought iron can be a chore. Just like steel in that regard.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back