What's new
What's new

Matsuura MC-760VX, Yasnac MX3 Serial Communications problems

No, 'input error' blinks at the bottom of the screen (where 'in' was blinking)
but there is no associated alarm.

If I turn off the linefeed character transmission then nothing happens.

I tried to removed the % sign at the start of the program, same error.
I tried to add ';' to the end of each line, same error.

Is there a chance the code I am trying to load isn't being opened as ASCII?

When the 'input error' blinks, I can then 'reset' and press 'in' again, and it will try to load a couple more lines, then error again. but the computer stops transmitting and waits until I press 'in' again.

Not sure if thats progress :)

Parameter 6021
D5: 1 - Set RTS to on during transmission
D4: 0 - does not refer to DR (data set ready)

Hello Cooperstock,
Check your parameter manual for the setting of parameter 6021. Bit5 (D5) set to "0" sets RTS to on during transmission.

With regards to Bit4, if you're using a Loop-back Null Modem cable, pin 6 (DR) is asserted by the bridge to pin 20. Accordingly, set it to "1".

Regards,

Bill

It Works

Update:
First off I would like to thank Bill for his patience and detailed explanations. I had some spare time again (yes after a very long break) and I read through all of this information and found another posting that had some related questions:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...help-148248/?highlight=matsuura+communication

To start with Here are the settings for the registers that seem to be related to the setup

Not all the bits listed are applicable, but just showing how my machine is setup. This may not work for someone else
Bits listed with D7 on the left and D0 on the right (as shown on the machine
6003 00100010
6021 00010101
6026-6029 00001000
6067 00100001
6069 00010000

I used Bobcam with software handshake
Using a USB-Serial Adapter (FTDI brand)
Null modem cable from adapter to machine
One thing I had to do for the machine to accept the code was use the key sequence:
When set to {edit} on the program dial
[PROG] - [RESET] - [NEXT] - [IN]
Then I started the software transfer

Also the software had a setting to add a '%' to the start and end of the program. The program (used from Rosie in the other post) has the '%' already so I removed it auto append from the CAM software.

Description of the above Register settings as I found/was told
D0 - Port1 Input
D1 - Port2 input
D2 - ?
D3 - LF or CR/LF (mainly used for when sending info back to computer)
D4 - Port1 output
D5 - port2 output

D0 - Considers M2 M30 M99 end of program
D4 - refers to DR during RS232 operation
D5 - Execute RTS on/off (send continous)

6026-6029
D0-D3 - Baud
D4 - 0=1 stop bit, 1=2 stopbits
D5 - 0=Sends control code (software handshake) 1=Does not send control codes
D6 - 0= Data is set for input and output combined, 1=data set is for input and output separately

D0-D2 - Baud Rate
D3 - Stop bit setting
D4 - Data Bits
D5-D6 Parity setting

D4 - Transmission of control characters

The first thing I did was plan on making the software handshake work. This required knowing that I was going to use a loopback cable as Bill described earlier. I had been trying one that was made based upon the pinouts described, Ultimately I switched to a null modem (again per Bills comments).

I was able to get data out of the CNC machine, I would export the parameters so I figured I had the parameters close to correct, but whenever I tried to send a program to the machine I would either get a 'TH parity error' or 'Input error!'.

I tried to change the input ports to see if that made any difference. I go no response (no errors or anything) when I changed so I figured I had the correct input port identified. I do not know how many of the above parameter settings play into the RS232 function, but I listed all I had found or had messed with.

After much going back and forth with different computers, DNC software, cables, and different settings. I got it to work.
I do not understand the difference between [prog] - [in] and [prog]-[next]-[in], but it seems to be how the controller decides where to store the code sequence. If I kept trying to receive the code, then it would continue to append the code to the end of the existing code. The [prog]-[in] would give me an input error every time.

The code I was trying was the one in the link above from Rosie (thanks!)

I have not yet tried swaping back to other cables to see if the cables were a problem. I plan to try faster baud rates (its only at 2400 now).

I was relieved the USB-Serial adapted worked as I have many opinions on if they work or not.

I did not have to mess with the pause time after characters or after lines.

Update:
First off I would like to thank Bill for his patience and detailed explanations. I had some spare time again (yes after a very long break) and I read through all of this information and found another posting that had some related questions:
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...help-148248/?highlight=matsuura+communication

To start with Here are the settings for the registers that seem to be related to the setup

Not all the bits listed are applicable, but just showing how my machine is setup. This may not work for someone else
Bits listed with D7 on the left and D0 on the right (as shown on the machine
6003 00100010
6021 00010101
6026-6029 00001000
6067 00100001
6069 00010000

I used Bobcam with software handshake
Using a USB-Serial Adapter (FTDI brand)
Null modem cable from adapter to machine
One thing I had to do for the machine to accept the code was use the key sequence:
When set to {edit} on the program dial
[PROG] - [RESET] - [NEXT] - [IN]
Then I started the software transfer

Also the software had a setting to add a '%' to the start and end of the program. The program (used from Rosie in the other post) has the '%' already so I removed it auto append from the CAM software.

Description of the above Register settings as I found/was told
D0 - Port1 Input
D1 - Port2 input
D2 - ?
D3 - LF or CR/LF (mainly used for when sending info back to computer)
D4 - Port1 output
D5 - port2 output

D0 - Considers M2 M30 M99 end of program
D4 - refers to DR during RS232 operation
D5 - Execute RTS on/off (send continous)

6026-6029
D0-D3 - Baud
D4 - 0=1 stop bit, 1=2 stopbits
D5 - 0=Sends control code (software handshake) 1=Does not send control codes
D6 - 0= Data is set for input and output combined, 1=data set is for input and output separately

D0-D2 - Baud Rate
D3 - Stop bit setting
D4 - Data Bits
D5-D6 Parity setting

D4 - Transmission of control characters

The first thing I did was plan on making the software handshake work. This required knowing that I was going to use a loopback cable as Bill described earlier. I had been trying one that was made based upon the pinouts described, Ultimately I switched to a null modem (again per Bills comments).

I was able to get data out of the CNC machine, I would export the parameters so I figured I had the parameters close to correct, but whenever I tried to send a program to the machine I would either get a 'TH parity error' or 'Input error!'.

I tried to change the input ports to see if that made any difference. I go no response (no errors or anything) when I changed so I figured I had the correct input port identified. I do not know how many of the above parameter settings play into the RS232 function, but I listed all I had found or had messed with.

After much going back and forth with different computers, DNC software, cables, and different settings. I got it to work.
I do not understand the difference between [prog] - [in] and [prog]-[next]-[in], but it seems to be how the controller decides where to store the code sequence. If I kept trying to receive the code, then it would continue to append the code to the end of the existing code. The [prog]-[in] would give me an input error every time.

The code I was trying was the one in the link above from Rosie (thanks!)

I have not yet tried swaping back to other cables to see if the cables were a problem. I plan to try faster baud rates (its only at 2400 now).

I was relieved the USB-Serial adapted worked as I have many opinions on if they work or not.

I did not have to mess with the pause time after characters or after lines.

Hello, I know this is an old thread. It has most of the information that I want and is the most complete that I've been able to find.

I have a Matsuura MC-500V2 with a Yasnac MX1 control.

I've tried nearly everything to send a program into the control. I was able to send the programs and parameters out but that stopped working.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm not going to start dumping tons of information into an old thread unless someone is in the mood to check this out.

Thank you.

First, get back to being able to send data out of the machine. If you've lost that ability, what changed? Did you change anything? Something had to change. Get back to a known semi-operative state and lets go from there.

If you got a tape reader on it maybe get a BTR board if you want to DNC with the bone.
First locate a tape that works in it so you know that part works.
Jap stuff wasn't very good at DNC in the old days but very good with tapes.

First, get back to being able to send data out of the machine. If you've lost that ability, what changed? Did you change anything? Something had to change. Get back to a known semi-operative state and lets go from there.

I must have changed something. I reset all the parameters back to what they were after it stopped sending out.

Where I'm at right now is dnc4u demo and dncSoftware. They both do the same thing and I can't nail it down.

I get 077: RS232C ERROR (OVER-RUN) When I try to send anything to it. This is with a TH parity error. Previously it was just TH parity error nothing in alarm.

This is the cable. It's coming from a dedicated serial port card in the computer. So this is going 9 pin to 25 pin.

Olsm5aa.jpg

The machine is not powered up.

Previously I had some db9 to db25 monstrosity with a breakout board and it didn't work any better.

I'm hoping someone sees something stupid that I'm doing.

If you got a tape reader on it maybe get a BTR board if you want to DNC with the bone.
First locate a tape that works in it so you know that part works.
Jap stuff wasn't very good at DNC in the old days but very good with tapes.

Locate a tape that works lol

Inside the cabinet is a Controls West board between the tape reader connection and some unknown BTR board. I can post pictures of that if you like.

I must have changed something. I reset all the parameters back to what they were after it stopped sending out.

Where I'm at right now is dnc4u demo and dncSoftware. They both do the same thing and I can't nail it down.

I get 077: RS232C ERROR (OVER-RUN) When I try to send anything to it. This is with a TH parity error. Previously it was just TH parity error nothing in alarm.

This is the cable. It's coming from a dedicated serial port card in the computer. So this is going 9 pin to 25 pin.

View attachment 336843

The machine is not powered up.

Previously I had some db9 to db25 monstrosity with a breakout board and it didn't work any better.

I'm hoping someone sees something stupid that I'm doing.

Locate a tape that works lol

Inside the cabinet is a Controls West board between the tape reader connection and some unknown BTR board. I can post pictures of that if you like.

Hello CONFIG,
What Handshake method is set for both the Control the Communication Software. Its more common to see Software Handshaking (Xon Xoff) being used, particularly when you don't understand RS232 Comms that well. The picture of the cable pin out looks a lot like an incomplete Hardware Set Up.

Rather than show a picture like that, it;s better to list the pin out.

Regards,

Bill

Hello CONFIG,
What Handshake method is set for both the Control the Communication Software. Its more common to see Software Handshaking (Xon Xoff) being used, particularly when you don't understand RS232 Comms that well. The picture of the cable pin out looks a lot like an incomplete Hardware Set Up.

Rather than show a picture like that, it;s better to list the pin out.

Regards,

Bill

Good morning Bill thank you for the reply.

The cable is presently setup like this.

DB25 DB9
2 2
3 3
4 8
5 7
7 5

I tried to make sense of the diagram in the Yasnac manual and came up with that.

This is the back of the RS232 port on the machine.

PXL_20211214_145906810.jpg

PC settings are:

dnc4u settings.jpg

dnc4u settings1.jpg

As far as I can tell I have the control setup correctly. My interpretation of correctly is obviously wrong.

What parameters would you like to see from the control? 6003 and?

I copied Bill's pinout from post #4 in this thread.

PXL_20211214_181543276.jpg

I'm still getting the same errors with that setup.

These are my parameters from the control.

PXL_20211214_181418506.jpg

PXL_20211214_181438683.jpg

I've been all over the place trying to figure this out. I must have done something stupid.

When you send data FROM the machine, do any of the LED's flicker on the DB25-DB25 thing you have?

1) Get data coming out of the control first
2) Then get that data read into the PC.

From that point it will be much easier to figure out how to get data into the machine.

When you send data FROM the machine, do any of the LED's flicker on the DB25-DB25 thing you have?

1) Get data coming out of the control first
2) Then get that data read into the PC.

From that point it will be much easier to figure out how to get data into the machine.

Nothing happens when I hit OUT on the control anymore. When it did send out it would send everything from the screen you were on such as parameters would go all out at once. O-9999 OUT would send the files with no hesitation.

I press out and the out line blinks but nothing happens in the debug buffer or the tester.

What kind of changes did you make to the machine since it last spit something out. Honestly, that doesn't sound like a parameter issue to me. Focus on hardware changes - did you change anything on the 232 wiring out of the machine?

On my MX3 machine, I recall a switch in the cabinet that enabled tape reading in/out. I need to go look it up. Did you change the position of any toggle switch in the cabinet?

This one....

IMG_7760.jpg

Is it in the same position that you had it in when the machine was spitting out data?

Plug that DB25 line monitor directly on the machine and try to send out data. Does anything flicker on it?

I copied Bill's pinout from post #4 in this thread.

View attachment 336977

I'm still getting the same errors with that setup.

These are my parameters from the control.

View attachment 336978

View attachment 336979

I've been all over the place trying to figure this out. I must have done something stupid.

Hello Matt,
I've not looked at all the parameters, but with a Software Handshake cable, parameter bit 6021.5 should be set to 0 so that the RTS signal is held on for the duration of the transmission.

Don't change a lot of things at once. Unless you have changed parameters, they will not have changed from when you were able to send and receive. Go back to the cable that was working and try with the original parameter settings. If that doesn't work, go back to basics by checking and setting all parameters that relate to RS232 comms ensuring they are compatible with the cable pin-out being used.

The pictures of your PC software settings were too small to read what they are. Accordingly, just list what they are, such as:

Handshake Method
Data Bits
Stop Bits
Parity
Baud Rate

Regards,

Bill

What kind of changes did you make to the machine since it last spit something out. Honestly, that doesn't sound like a parameter issue to me. Focus on hardware changes - did you change anything on the 232 wiring out of the machine?

On my MX3 machine, I recall a switch in the cabinet that enabled tape reading in/out. I need to go look it up. Did you change the position of any toggle switch in the cabinet?

I never changed any wiring inside the machine. I have been all over the place trying different parameters.

I hand loaded the parameters back into the control from a parameter backup that was sent from the control.

The only switch I ever flipped in the cabinet is this one when I had an overtravel.

PXL_20211215_144929997.jpg

This is likely a very stupid question..... Does this need to be set to load?

PXL_20211215_142747211.jpg

Edit: I will reply to the other posts when I get back over there in an hour or two.

I never changed any wiring inside the machine. I have been all over the place trying different parameters.

I hand loaded the parameters back into the control from a parameter backup that was sent from the control.

OK, no wiring changes is good, lets keep it that way for now. Avoid changing parameters unless you are confident those changes are taking the machine back to a known state. When debugging/troubleshooting you want to constrain the things that are changing to a minimum. You don't want to diverge far from the last point it was working.

Bill suggestion of going into the parameters and decoding the 232 state (handshaking, parity, baud rate, etc) is a good one at this point.

This is likely a very stupid question..... Does this need to be set to load?

View attachment 337045

Not a stupid question at all. It could be needed to load, but I wouldn't change anything further until you can get the machine to spit something out again. Its worth looking up and reading about though to understand once the machine is outputting data on the 232.

This one....

View attachment 336996

Is it in the same position that you had it in when the machine was spitting out data?

Plug that DB25 line monitor directly on the machine and try to send out data. Does anything flicker on it?

I don't remember what setting that was on when it did send data out. It was likely on zero or one.

I just tried all of the different wheel settings and O-9999 OUT nothing changes on the tester.

Hello Matt,
I've not looked at all the parameters, but with a Software Handshake cable, parameter bit 6021.5 should be set to 0 so that the RTS signal is held on for the duration of the transmission.

Don't change a lot of things at once. Unless you have changed parameters, they will not have changed from when you were able to send and receive. Go back to the cable that was working and try with the original parameter settings. If that doesn't work, go back to basics by checking and setting all parameters that relate to RS232 comms ensuring they are compatible with the cable pin-out being used.

The pictures of your PC software settings were too small to read what they are. Accordingly, just list what they are, such as:

Handshake Method
Data Bits
Stop Bits
Parity
Baud Rate

Regards,

Bill

Good morning Bill.

dnc4U is presently configured as follows.

COM 1
Baud 2400
Data bit 7
Parity Even
Stop Bits 2
Char set ASCII/ISO
Flow control Xon/Xoff
DTR and RTS are off

The send tab is as follows.

I had tried ascii code in the send before file of 17 and 19 which should be DC1 and DC3 it is presently empty.
End of block is CR\LF

I have some delays in it as well.

Data packet delay is 20ms
Char Delay is 25ms

OK, no wiring changes is good, lets keep it that way for now. Avoid changing parameters unless you are confident those changes are taking the machine back to a known state. When debugging/troubleshooting you want to constrain the things that are changing to a minimum. You don't want to diverge far from the last point it was working.

I have as best as I can tell kept to the parameters that directly affect RS232 port #2

Any other setting that isn't port two the control sees nothing.

Bill suggestion of going into the parameters and decoding the 232 state (handshaking, parity, baud rate, etc) is a good one at this point.

Not a stupid question at all. It could be needed to load, but I wouldn't change anything further until you can get the machine to spit something out again. Its worth looking up and reading about though to understand once the machine is outputting data on the 232.

Ok, I'll take some pictures of the settings and translate them into what's what and post the information here.

Back