What's new
What's new

Matsuura RA-3G no cycle start, need help

usolutions

Cast Iron
As many threads before, I have problem with new-to-me 1997 Matsuura RA-3G with J300M cnc controls. I have managed to home the machine and machine has no active alarms. It rapids, jogs and follows hand wheels nicely, however, I can not make the machine run programs, both from memory and from MDI.
If I switch to setup mode, if i press and hold cycle start, machine throws error 6616 CYCLE START LOCK IS BEING APPLIED.
In manual job mode it gives no response to cycle start button at all.
No other errors.
Screenshot
Short video of my actions
Manual says just to switch cycle start lock off. I for the hell of this all can not figure out how to do it.

Machine bought from couple countries away used machine dealer. Dealer can not figure out what is the issue yet. There are some posts on both PM and CNCzone with people describing similar issue, but I could not find any resolved ones/solution. Local Matsuura dealer say they only do current range machinery, and dont support legacy equipment.
Am I missing something simple, or I am screwed? Please help

I have a 1987 /matt., if its sits idle for 2 days the tool change arm, the one right next to spindle will drop a bit, I have to stand on table and manually function the silanoid up top,which pulls the arm up snug, then machine runs as it should.

I have a 1987 /matt., if its sits idle for 2 days the tool change arm, the one right next to spindle will drop a bit, I have to stand on table and manually function the silanoid up top,which pulls the arm up snug, then machine runs as it should.
Will give it a try, does not seem to be out of place but might be good idea. will check position feedback for tool change arm

Look for any other reason it might be in feed hold also. Switch, broken wire, anything like that.
There is whole lot of switches.
Safety switches trigger with separate errors, emergency buttons as well. It has more than wire storage warehouse, without at least checklist what can give this error it is unreal to check ALL the wires

Have you tried homing the tool carousel and performing a tool change? My experience with Matsuuras is with Fanuc systems, but I have experienced issues that gave no alarm but were related to tool changes. As Greg said, the tool change arm, another was the proximity switches that tells the machine whether the spindle is locked for tool change or unlocked. You could start the program, but the spindle wouldn't start because of it, no alarm given.

Just to clarify to anyone seeking same issue. Issue with 6616 CYCLE START LOCK IS BEING APPLIED is pallet changer door end switches. Since they are not safety switches, they don't trigger hard alarms.
These are prone to getting sticky and after door opening and closing they can stick in closed position for extended amount of time. As regular maintainance they should be cleaned on a regular basis, as well as TC door closed and open position switch.

Today when Matsuura rep came in to see the problem machine cured itself) It sat untouched with properly closed door for 2 days. In this time switches finally got unstuck and latched closed, erasing said problem. I'd prefer to switch these mechaincal switches with cylinder magnetic proximity switches on pneumatic cylinders moving said door, but will see how often this problem will occur.

Everyone thank you for suggestions! ITS ALIVE!
However spindle mist cooler eats up more than our small compressor is capable of producing, will post full update on machine running after we assemble 16000 GPH air compressor, that is lying in parts around the shop.

Glad you were able to fix it (or rather have it fix itself). And thank you for posting the resolution for others who may encounter the same problem in the future. Best of luck with the compressor!

Little update. Parameter PM7126 is non-standard interlock neglect byte. bit 0 is pallet changer door interlock neglect, bit 3 is pallet clamp interlock neglect. Use it to reset machine state after setup.

Back