What's new
What's new

Matting ideas for rinse tank?

GoneFishing

Plastic
I do purchasing and work in the tool crib at my job, and my big bossed asked me to find a solution to matting for our rinse tank.

The current matting has turned hard, I assume from the solvent, and it is leaving scratches on the parts when they're rinsed off.

I need a 4'x3" mat, and my initial thought was something like this:

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/40631392

What does everyone use in their rinse tanks?

Do you know what chemical you use for a solvent in the rinse tank? Cole Parmer has a very handy compatibility tool on their website that may help.

The hard part is you must know the technical name of your solvent (i.e. Stoddard Solvent) rather than the brand name it's sold under and then next know what your mat is made of. I don't know that they always list the material in a mat.

Chemical Compatibility Database from Cole-Parmer

In general my experience is that Viton rubber gets along with most all oil based solvents but costs a ton more than Buna which is usually good enough against most chemicals. I seem to recall nitrile rubber is the one that's no good with most stuff but I always check with Cole's table first.

The other question is how much padding do you need? Often with rubber you can buy a foam which will be more squishy vs solid which may feel harder. I bet the solid lasts longer vs the foam but not knowing your parts you're using it's hard to say

McMaster has a great selection of both materials in sheets so pick a soft durometer good thickness and try it out, cut to size.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Foamed silicon rubber, stands heat too
Mark
In my experience Silicone is the worst around the stoddard solvents, pain thinners, petroleum distalates, kerosene etc... but maybe great around simple green. It all comes down to figuring out what he is washing with and then picking a material that will work with it.

Try looking over at McMASTER-CARR. They will have a lot of different meshes and whatnot, and they tell you what solvent/chemical each material can withstand.

The CAS is 64742-47-8

Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated light 100%

So would I select petroleum from that list? Then what material would I select?

Sorry for the delayed response, I didn’t receive any notifications.

I appreciate the help!

Don't know the size of your parts but I just use cut to size of tank from a roll of burlap found for covering plants at a garden center, cheap enough to throw out regularly/replace.

Back