What's new
What's new

Max weight on lathe

Hertz

Stainless
Good morning. I have a lathe here with no date and some missing info in the manual.
The name is Gurutzpe Super A.
It's 25HP
550V
9-500 RPM
The name tag does not specify the manufacturers date, or any date for that matter. What I'm looking to find is what the maximum weight I can put on it. We currently have a request for a large eccentric shaft with a finish weight of 14000 lbs and I'm thinking that it will exceed the max weight. Wondering if anyone might have some insight on this lathe. I did contact the company tag on the lathe that sold it, but they said they didn't have any information on it because the company on the lathe sold and serviced the brand of equipment in the 70's and 80's.
Google search finds the machine models but nothing with working weights.

What size is the lathe between centres ? What swing is it ? Will you be able to support the job with steadies ?
Will it be coming to you at 14,000 lbs or do you have to turn it down to that ? What’s the story with the eccentric element of the job ?

Edit. Looking at images on the internet I’d say it looks like a glorified shafting lathe, especially the tailstock. What’s the heaviest job you’ve had in it so far ? How did that go ?

Regards Tyrone.

Last edited:
How big is the tailstock bore. What is a center for that size rated for. I would guess that the center will fail before the lathe bends too much.
Bill D

Hi guys, sorry for late responses. I was out this weekend.
Just to update your questions.
Machine between centers is 157"
Swing is 44" over bed and 56" in the gap.
Tailstock is 4.5"
Spindle Bore is 3.5"

Not sure if I can support with the steady. Have to check the opening.
This lathe came from another shop with no manuals or details. I do not know what jobs it has run in the past.
The eccentric shaft I need to make is finished at 14K lbs. I do not know what the raw weight will be. This job likely will be farmed out for this time around, but I'm trying to determine for next time.

I did reach out to the company from the website provided, thank you. I will wait an answer from them.

I think you'd be fine if the lathe isn't some kind of lightweight import jobbie. I've run bigger parts than that in smaller lathes. If it's a crank or eccentric you're making, don't forget to add counterweights. Here's a similar sized and also eccentric part I ran in a 52" swing lathe, no problemo. You can see the dual centers for the eccentric and the counterweights on the chuck if you look carefully. The lathe is a Weipert.

20180914_085641.jpg

Last edited:

Back