What's new
What's new

Mazak no EIA

pwsystems

Plastic
I just acquired an old Mazak QT 8 lathe with a T2 controller
My question is it dose not have a EIA mod is their a unlock code to activate this

Regards and Thanks

Last edited:
Nope. I believe EIA capable machines have an extra computer board along with extra E-prom chips.

Unless you have really funky geometry, Mazatrol will handle a 2 axis lathe just fine. You can run G-code inside Mazatrol as a manual process MNP for doing things like bar pulling.

There is a thread showing how to add EIA to a QT8, as Phil said, you need some parts. I've been contemplating doing this to my QT8, but from what I've found, there is no good post for a Mazak of that vintage, at least in Confusion360. I'd like to make velocity stacks eventually with my QT8.

Here is the adding T2 EIA thread: https://www.practicalmachinist.com/forum/threads/adding-eia-to-t2-mazatrol.327009/

You should check out Phil's videos on Youtube, Maztrol Tips and Tricks, his content on using the Mazatrol control on these lathes is the best out there.

Last edited:
Nope. I believe EIA capable machines have an extra computer board along with extra E-prom chips.

Unless you have really funky geometry, Mazatrol will handle a 2 axis lathe just fine. You can run G-code inside Mazatrol as a manual process MNP for doing things like bar pulling.
Are you Phil from tips and trikes
Its just I use a Cad Cam on all my other machines be nice to bring this one online
Regards
Peter

Are you Phil from tips and trikes
Its just I use a Cad Cam on all my other machines be nice to bring this one online
Regards
Peter
Yep. That's me.

All of my Mazaks have the EIA option and I never use it. Started running my first Mazak in 1995 and started using the EIA programming because I was familiar with Fanucs, but once we got 2 days training on the Mazatrol side, I never went back to the EIA side.

The ability to edit speeds and feeds on the fly while running a program is something you cannot do in EIA. Awesome feature of Mazatrol in my opinion. VFC button.

The ability to edit speeds and feeds on the fly while running a program is something you cannot do in EIA. Awesome feature of Mazatrol in my opinion. VFC button.
It's fantastic! After using it on the QT to tweak a program it makes tweaking F/S on my mill seem archaic.

PS- got any tips on how to add a material to the library? I run quite a bit of 1144S/P and want to build a profile for it.

It's fantastic! After using it on the QT to tweak a program it makes tweaking F/S on my mill seem archaic.

PS- got any tips on how to add a material to the library? I run quite a bit of 1144S/P and want to build a profile for it.
Yes, just go to the cutting condition page and enter your material in the blank space under existing materials. Then enter percentages for speed override (T-2 control only has override on speeds). It will not display the new materials when you write a new program, but they are there. When you select the new material, you will have to select the material via typing in the number beside the new material #6 or higher for a T-2 control. Newer controls will show the new materials on the programming screen.

Attachments

• 20220926_080650_resized.jpg
    20220926_080650_resized.jpg
    608.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220926_080415_resized.jpg
    20220926_080415_resized.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220926_080437_resized.jpg
    20220926_080437_resized.jpg
    656.7 KB · Views: 13
Yes, just go to the cutting condition page and enter your material in the blank space under existing materials. Then enter percentages for speed override (T-2 control only has override on speeds). It will not display the new materials when you write a new program, but they are there. When you select the new material, you will have to select the material via typing in the number beside the new material #6 or higher for a T-2 control. Newer controls will show the new materials on the programming screen.
That makes perfect sense, but what is the base number for the speed override?

That makes perfect sense, but what is the base number for the speed override?
The base number is whatever the roughing and finish surface speeds you tell the machine in the first page of the cutting conditions. 100% = whatever you programmed in there. The machine will adjust percentages up or down of those speed based on what you put in the percentage of each material.

Attachments

• 20220926_105011_resized.jpg
    20220926_105011_resized.jpg
    598.4 KB · Views: 7
The base number is whatever the roughing and finish surface speeds you tell the machine in the first page of the cutting conditions. 100% = whatever you programmed in there. The machine will adjust percentages up or down of those speed based on what you put in the percentage of each material.
Perfect, thank you!

Yep. That's me.

All of my Mazaks have the EIA option and I never use it. Started running my first Mazak in 1995 and started using the EIA programming because I was familiar with Fanucs, but once we got 2 days training on the Mazatrol side, I never went back to the EIA side.

HI Phil
Love your video's they have help so much

Regards Peter

Yep. That's me.

Thanks Phil for your YouTube videos. They have helped me and my coworkers out a lot. Unfortunately I still need to ad EIA back to our machine because I am not always available to program for my coworkers and they understand featurecam much better than Mazatrol especially when using live tooling. We use our machine for small batch runs.

Thanks Phil for your YouTube videos. They have helped me and my coworkers out a lot. Unfortunately I still need to ad EIA back to our machine because I am not always available to program for my coworkers and they understand featurecam much better than Mazatrol especially when using live tooling. We use our machine for small batch runs.
Adding EIA to your older machine is not something even the current Mazak techs can accomplish. If you really need EIA, upgrade to a newer machine that has the EIA option.

It’s been done. Our machine actually had it until a repair technician swapped in an884 board. It still has the dnc board just need to replace the chips.

To add to the discussion about EIA on the mazak machines... I was under the assumption, both from talking with people AND the used dealer I bought my 2005 QTN250MS 640t had EIA enabled on it from the get go. I get the machine, get it powered up, and discovered that was untrue. I talked to Mazak and the local distributor to determine the machine never had it enabled to begin with. The local Mazak rep quoted me that it would cost about $2500 + $1400 in labor to have the option for EIA programming enabled on my machine. While going through this ordeal, I had become very fond of Mazatrol and was honestly surprised in how easy it was to work. The kicker to the situation is Mitsubishi did not want to write a file for my machine to enable EIA (plus another option I wanted) as they said the serial number on my control unit could not support those additional features. I was a bit bummed about the situation as I felt it would limit me in my abilities. Luckily (knock on wood) it has not impacted me too much in terms of capabilities, but I guess if I am getting to the point I need EIA to program parts due to complexity, I can afford a new machine.

Luckily (knock on wood) it has not impacted me too much in terms of capabilities, but I guess if I am getting to the point I need EIA to program parts due to complexity, I can afford a new machine.
Strange. I thought every control past a T+ came with EIA standard. At least you still have the ability to do G-coding inside a Mazatrol program via the manual process. I use the manual process on my T-3 control when bar pulling for example.

I have the opposite dilemma. EIA Dash and no Mazatrol on my QT6g with a Gantry. I had to reset it and had to hand input the parameters from when it was new in 1998. I talked to Griffo Bros and they didn't have a solution to even read the parameters disk taped to the door, said it can only be read with a Mazak Micro Disk reader. Since it has a Flex Gantry I need those parameters on the disk. I don't know if I can even use a DNC drip on it. Any suggestions?

38861.jpeg38878.jpeg20170527_115122_1495912502237_resized.jpg20230619_123337.jpg20230620_182454.jpg

I have the opposite dilemma. EIA Dash and no Mazatrol on my QT6g with a Gantry. I had to reset it and had to hand input the parameters from when it was new in 1998. I talked to Griffo Bros and they didn't have a solution to even read the parameters disk taped to the door, said it can only be read with a Mazak Micro Disk reader. Since it has a Flex Gantry I need those parameters on the disk. I don't know if I can even use a DNC drip on it. Any suggestions?
Your Electrical manual should have the parameters listed in it. If not I have a working Micro-Disk, and can get the parameters off of your disk for you. And send you back your disk and a printed copy of the parameter. But the best bet at the moment is for you to look in your Electrical manual.

Regards,
Heli

Back