What's new
What's new

Mazak UN 600 opinions?

poxino

Aluminum
Hello guys!

I could not find any info on this machine, so I decided to start a new thread.

I am considering this machine as it's a very compact HMC, I am new to Mazak, but this particular one has Fanuc control which I am familiar with, for programming/operating and simple maintenance.
Because of the machine's configuration, I can also save 1 operation on my parts.
The machine is a 30 taper , I would be using it for aluminium only.It's a 20000rpm machine , I wonder if it had enough torque to take a skim 2mm deep with 63mm face mill on 7075 Aluminium.

It has 30000 power on hours and 8000 cutting hours so it is not new of course, I would like to know what sort of money it costs to rebuild that kind of spindle or the actual B axis if needed , I am not too sure about what to look for or what can go wrong with these type of machines
Any opinion is appreciated and If anyone has even run/owned one I would like to hear about it.

Thank you in advance!

You likely won't have anyone with first hand experience on these. They are extremely niche machines that were originally built for a large Mazak customer in Japan for a specific product family for running aluminum. Not something we import as stock machines, I've only seen them at the world technology center in Japan. UN stands for ultra narrow which is not an exaggeration, they make a Speedio or Robodrill look thick by comparison. The width of the machine is less than 1000mm They were made to be stacked in tight together, no service access needed on the sides. Spindle is 18.5 kW/24Nm or 25 HP and 17 ft-lbs of torque peak.

So that said, I would be a bit wary of buying a used one from a support standpoint. I'll be fully transparent with you and say we at Mazak are not well versed in Fanuc controls. There's a couple other niche machines we make with Fanuc and it can be a real struggle to find answers to questions. There isn't a whole lot to the machine from a mechanical standpoint, but most likely a service engineer will have never seen or heard of it if he walked into your shop. If it's a screaming deal and you know your way around Fanuc it may still be worth it, but I would be very hesitant.

Hello there!
Thanks for your reply it helps me make the decision a bit further.
The service engineer I use said from the beginning that Mazak machines are the ones he knows the most, but saying that having Fanuc controls only at the moment here in my machine shop he showed me to be competent on many occasions.
I would be machining aluminum only with it, and the idea would be to have a hex tombstone on it with six vices so then load the machine only a few times a day

There is a like new S300X2 Brother Speedio with 27K rpm spindle available out here. These can run a 125mm OSG disc cutter (face mill) 3mm deep at 150 IPM. Foot print is about 43" wide and 84" deep. Room for a 4th axis tombstone set up or compact tilting rotary table. If you are interested I can get you in touch with the owner.

Hello!
Thanks for the info , I think that like new makes it well out of my budget in this occasion, it seems however a very deep depth of cut for that diameter and mainly for a 30 taper for a 27k rpm spindle!

If it comes with Mazak manuals for operation, maintenance, electrical schematics, ladder diagram, and parameters, it should not be tough for any reasonably good tech to figure out how to fix anything that goes wrong. Since it is not a common machine from Mazak, if those documents are not included you won’t want to touch it.

Hello!
Thanks for the many replies , very good forum.
The machine would come with Sram Backup, parameters , and full documentation.
I am thinking a lot about it these days 😁
Thank you!

You likely won't have anyone with first hand experience on these. They are extremely niche machines that were originally built for a large Mazak customer in Japan for a specific product family for running aluminum. Not something we import as stock machines, I've only seen them at the world technology center in Japan. UN stands for ultra narrow which is not an exaggeration, they make a Speedio or Robodrill look thick by comparison. The width of the machine is less than 1000mm They were made to be stacked in tight together, no service access needed on the sides. Spindle is 18.5 kW/24Nm or 25 HP and 17 ft-lbs of torque peak.

So that said, I would be a bit wary of buying a used one from a support standpoint. I'll be fully transparent with you and say we at Mazak are not well versed in Fanuc controls. There's a couple other niche machines we make with Fanuc and it can be a real struggle to find answers to questions. There isn't a whole lot to the machine from a mechanical standpoint, but most likely a service engineer will have never seen or heard of it if he walked into your shop. If it's a screaming deal and you know your way around Fanuc it may still be worth it, but I would be very hesitant.
Thanks for the insight! Any idea how many of these are floating around in the states?

The OP does not list his location so it might not be in the US. I would guess either there are 0 installed or one customer has 20 of them here. None in my region, although we did have one customer looking into a cell of them fed by robots several years ago.

Back