What's new
What's new

Mc500v probe possibilites?

Noobiecnc

Plastic
Was reading through the op manual for my matsuura mc500v and I figured on a old machining center like this I was probably stuck to using wigglers, and coaxial indicators for finding part position. I came across a page in the manual talking about "in process measuring" mentioning the spindle lock for what seems to be a probe.
Seems like it was some sort of option. How can I tell if I have this option? Is it the same types of probes used today? I haven't come across anything like this in any of my research on these old vmcs.
If it's not an option on my machine, is there a way to add a probe using the extra m codes or user macros??
I was saving up for a haimer 3d sensor but the probe stuff seems so easy and fast that if the possibility is there, I would like to explore it

Try moving with g31
if it moves it most likely has software option for probe, then it is just to find correct connection location. If it alarms out without movement, then out of luck.

Also keep in mind, youll probably have to make your own macros for the probe. And if you are saving for haimer, proper tool probe would blow your budget

Try moving with g31
if it moves it most likely has software option for probe, then it is just to find correct connection location. If it alarms out without movement, then out of luck.

Also keep in mind, youll probably have to make your own macros for the probe. And if you are saving for haimer, proper tool probe would blow your budget
Yeah I've been seeing 10k probe options and that seems whack to me. I see 100 dollar wired probes on eBay. What's to keep a guy from wiring the wired probe to the aux relay and i/o boards with custom macros

What's to keep a guy from wiring the wired probe to the aux relay and i/o boards with custom macros
Nothing, but tolerance and repeatability. I have some good experience with silvercnc renishaw clones but they are still couple K for a kit. If you go for ebay option, get one with swappable stylus, so you can swap it for a quality one.

I'll post the alarm codes when I get off work. I'll have to recreate them cause I don't remember now

After homing the machine I type
G31 x10;
Pressed the cycle start and that's the error codes I got

Attachments

• 16975748772986641503743564128326.jpg
    16975748772986641503743564128326.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
You know that g31 is like g01, so feedrate must be defined?
I can read and understand g code but I have a hard time knowing the format have how it needs to be written in the machine. Is celebrate defined by fxxxx after writing the axisxxxx?

Before you get deep into this project with buying control options and such, Do you have sufficient control memory for storing the macro programs for measuring and probing?

The MX2 controls did not have much memory or options by default.

You will need User Macro, The minimum of some storage variables, and memory for program storage.

Before you get deep into this project with buying control options and such, Do you have sufficient control memory for storing the macro programs for measuring and probing?

The MX2 controls did not have much memory or options by default.

You will need User Macro, The minimum of some storage variables, and memory for program storage.
Is there some place on or in the machine I can check? I know I have the giant memory unit that goes on the door above the tape reader in the electrical cabinet on the right of the machine. Now idk how to to tell how much I have or anything like that. Iirc the memory was around a whole whopping megabyte. Surely would be enough huh? I can put fat stacks of code onto a floppy disk. How much code are we talking?

It depends on the macro you are using. But you can expect 200-300 feet of tape if that is how the MX2 displays the memory. Around 36 KB.

This has to be real control memory. No DNC allowed for macros. No drip feed. No external buffer boxes.

It depends on the macro you are using. But you can expect 200-300 feet of tape if that is how the MX2 displays the memory. Around 36 KB.

This has to be real control memory. No DNC allowed for macros. No drip feed. No external buffer boxes.
So any macros can only be handled by the machine by reading them off of tape?? Does the memory store what it reads off the tape after it's read. Or does a probe tape "program" need to constantly stay in the machine?
That might throw a wrench in the whole thing there.. I don't have any tape or a tape puncher machine thing. Solely relying on drip feeding.

No Tape.
Macros run only in the machine's memory.
You cannot 'call' them from a remote device unless it is a data server ( Fanuc 16i and greater with the DS option )

They are 'called' with a G65 Pxxxx, M-code that is linked to a program number, or G-code that is linked to a program number.

The running program can be from tape, memory or MDI. But the actual macros can only be in real memory.

Last edited:
No Tape.
Macros run only in the machine's memory.
You cannot 'call' them from a remote device unless it is a data server ( Fanuc 16i and greater with the DS option )

They are 'called' with a G65 Pxxxx, M-code that is linked to a program number, or G-code that is linked to a program number.

The running program can be from tape, memory or MDI. But the actual macros can only be in real memory.
Do you have to use the mdi to write macro programs on the machine? I've wrote some macros for a 3d printer of mine but it was just 5-6 lines of code homing off limit switches so it was very simple when I put a duet 3d motion controller in it. Almost a 40 year newer system though

Yes, but it quite more complicated and a lot more expensive if you fuck up. Learn the machine as is, in process probing is beyond your skill level yet

Back