What's new
What's new

metal spinning on a lathe with aluminum ( or aluminium...)

jappietoutou

Aluminum
Hello Guys,

I usually hang out in the "Transformer - Phase converter" section, but here is a video I made last year , myself spinning a sheet of 3003 H14 aluminum on my lathe ( King Canada, same as Grizzly ). The video is in FRENCH, no translation available, so here is a brief description: I bought a grinder without side guards, so I had to make them , and the shaft ends were protruding outside the plates, so I tried spinning 2 bowls ( my first time at spinning ) to cover them.
On my first trial, I did not annealed the aluminum and that was a disaster. The second attempt was way better. I heat up the plates to 700 F ( as per the Sharpie method ). I bought a Temperature Indicating Stick afterwards. If I remember correctly, the sheets were 0.035" thick and 5" in diameter. I used a teflon stick for the spinning with some wax. It was easier than I thought !
You can see my 575 volts Rotary phase converter in the background.

Last edited:
Very good! A minor correction, you write that the material thickness was .35" above. It looks like around 1.5mm to 2.5mm in the video, so around .06" to .1" or so.

That would have been an impressive job if it really was almost 3/8" thick. :)

And judging from the stress you're putting on the plastic bar, I'd guess it's Delrin (acetal resin) rather than Teflon, but I could be wrong...

oh it was 0.035" . thank you
I will correct it. and you can be right also for the delrin, I pick that up in the garbage where I work, easier to say teflon when you don't know the real thing :)

Back