What's new
What's new

Metric drill set types questions

Methinks Barbter has the Dormer A190 sets, #202 1-6mm in 0.1 steps & #203 6-10 in 0.1 steps as have I. Also have the Patience & Nicholson M5 set1.0 -3.00 in 0.05 steps & 3.0 -5.0 in 0.1 steps. A bit like a gauge block set, I'll probably die with most unused but before anyone says 'self-indulgent hobbyist' such sets are just the berries if you have a car in your stable with Weber DCOE carbies. Lots of tricks there with drills to avoid buying REALLY extravagant sets of jets, emulsion tubes & air bleeds , especially if you are 'winging it' with an undocumented engine/carby combo.

I have metric sets in .1 progression from 5 MM up to 14 MM. Often when I want to get close to a hole size without reaming and look at the chart on the wall the MM sizes are all on the left side of the decimal.
But with the tenth MM progression it often seems like my choices, fractional inch plus tenth progression metric there are so many grateful moments per day that I'd never want to be without both types.
The best emotional peace would come from decimal drills by .001 from #80 to 1", and a huge index to hold them all.
I know it sounds funny, but living 80 miles from any major cities means that if I don't have to wait what used to be 1 day (But is now more like 3) it gives me a miniature emotional boost, which is also why I have a good drill grinder, again, I never regret having those either.
When I have to wait that's equally depressing, depending on how large the "RUSH!!!!" on the drawing is.

It is not possible to have too many tools!
parts

I haven't bought any drills (standard straight shank HSS) for some time but it used to be that a size such as 5.75mm would be considerably more expensive than a 5.7mm or a 5.8mm

Sets of nominal sizes and in 0.5mm steps are pretty much everywhere in the UK, usually Chinese drill bits of questionable quality though, typically upto either 8mm, 10mm or 13mm and pretty much always jobber length, they seem more intended for the average joe/DIY person than anything else and in my experience are good to have about but aren't that useful.

There are sets that go in smaller steps, usually 0.1mm and Presto do a set that comes in a nice benchtop drill index which goes from 1mm to 13mm in 0.5mm steps but also includes common tap sizes that don't fit into that such as 3.3mm for an M4x0.7, something I feel like I should really get myself.

The one thing that imo the market lacks is sets of stub drills, I've ended up buying some Aqurado benchtop drill indexes that go from 1mm to 6mm and 6.1mm to 10mm in 0.1mm steps and (mostly) filled them up with HSSco stub drills as that's largely what I use, I guess for a set of drills for odd jobs jobber is just the more versatile option on the hole.

Back