What's new
What's new

MFG.com for new clients

Miller846

Aluminum
Good Morning, just curious what your thoughts are on the “New” Mfg.com. I’ve read the old threads on MFG.com about jobs just getting awarded to China in the past and how they’d go for Pennie’s due to competing with China. Supposedly in the recent years, MFG has been bought out by shapeways and I spoke with the salesman for MFG and brought this up and he said since being bought out, they have a separate page for international orders and assured me that the RFQ’s I would be seeing would be only for the US. In other words, I wouldn’t be competing with international shops. Has anyone on here tried MFG since they have been bought out and if so, was the salesman telling the truth or was he full of crap? I’d love to hear your thoughts, thanks!

Yes, I have tried. Yes, I have sent sample parts to buyers in an attempt to win a bid. Yes, I have contacted buyers after the contract is 'awarded to a MFG supplier in another region'. Save your money, buy tooling or take a vacation instead. The 'buyers' have no skin in the game. My bids are usually 10-15% below the average bid. When I put buyers on the spot by calling and asking why I didn't get the bid, nine out of ten times they say they were using the bids to hammer their local guy. Yes, I have called my MFG rep. She says they have a problem with the buyer pool right now. So, again, if you have any pie-in-the-sky idea that you can quote better, your faster, your more nimble, my advice is to take your hard earned money and invest in yourself and your tooling rather than giving it to them. You will not get a return on your investment. We are makers and optimists. MFG are takers and talkers and they prey on us.

MFG.com, doesn’t matter who currently owns their scheme it’s a farce for any legitimate business to be involved with them.

Your “new” salesman sounds an awful lot like the old salesman I dealt with years ago. Unadulterated middle-man bullshit.

My advice is to avoid these sites.
Mostly, they're a race to the bottom.
I tried it and hated everything about it. Cancelled my subscription and that was the end.
If you are looking for work, there are better ways to find it.

My advice is to avoid these sites.
Mostly, they're a race to the bottom.
I tried it and hated everything about it. Cancelled my subscription and that was the end.
If you are looking for work, there are better ways to find it.

What would you recommend as the better ways? Lately it seems even when suppliers make introductions for us to new buyers, they still won't give us the time of day.

Its definitely a numbers game but it seems the hit rate has been steadily decreasing.

just got one very basic question to ask....how do you think you are going to fair out bidding against 20,50,100+ other really smart guys?!!!!

What would you recommend as the better ways? Lately it seems even when suppliers make introductions for us to new buyers, they still won't give us the time of day.

Its definitely a numbers game but it seems the hit rate has been steadily decreasing.
For me, it's always been shoe leather. One day a month, I'll drive around with a stack of business cards. Make introductions. Make a file when I get back to the office, and keep after it. I always wind up with something.

Have you ever seen the statistic about how many times you have to touch a prospect/potential customer before they give you an opportunity to quote or buy something from you? How do you think business would be if every tom, dick, n harry went knocking on your customers doors and they allowed them to quote and accelerate the race to the bottom??

The harder it is to get in some doors in general the better potential for a better customer the guys that give you a shot right off the bat just think how many other joes are you quoting against.

Have you ever seen the statistic about how many times you have to touch a prospect/potential customer before they give you an opportunity to quote or buy something from you? How do you think business would be if every tom, dick, n harry went knocking on your customers doors and they allowed them to quote and accelerate the race to the bottom??

The harder it is to get in some doors in general the better potential for a better customer the guys that give you a shot right off the bat just think how many other joes are you quoting against.
I'm curios, what's the number?

Also as a side rant, I don't think "accelerating the race to the bottom" is some bogeyman hiding in the closet to be scared of and try to avoid. Race the the bottom aka reducing costs is going on, has been going on for decades, and will continue going on for eternity. There's no avoiding it. If tom, dick, n harry can delivery on time with the same quality as everybody else but half the price, they're going to get all the work. Every quote is a battle and to win you've got to provide the best value between time, quality, and price and since basically every machine is accurate and the know-how is readily available, that leaves price as the biggest variable.

Also as a side rant, I don't think "accelerating the race to the bottom" is some bogeyman hiding in the closet to be scared of and try to avoid. Race the the bottom aka reducing costs is going on, has been going on for decades, and will continue going on for eternity. There's no avoiding it. If tom, dick, n harry can delivery on time with the same quality as everybody else but half the price, they're going to get all the work. Every quote is a battle and to win you've got to provide the best value between time, quality, and price and since basically every machine is accurate and the know-how is readily available, that leaves price as the biggest variable.
100% There's always someone commenting "race to the bottom" our industry is a race to the bottom, it always has been and always will be.

You don't always know who you are quoting against, you could be quoting against a shop that has a fraction of the overhead, that has 0 debt, no machine payments, no lease or building payments and can be just as profitable with lesser hourly shop rate.

I have worked for many shops that run on 0 debt and buildings paid for, they don't finance equipment, they don't want to have that monthly overhead. When I went into business that stuck with me and I've done the same.

Do these shops necessarily drop their rate because of them factors, no, I still average around $250/hr but if work started drying up for whatever reason or another shop was undercutting me, I could easily cut my rate in half or more with no worries.

That does not make it a race to the bottom, I would say in some cases its smart business.

I saw that stat years ago I want to say somewhere around 12-15 was the #. You guys are kinda missing the point I'm trying to make, I'll make it simpler do you want to bid upgainst a couple shops or 10-20 shops more bidders the more time you will spend spinning your wheels with nothing to show for it. Some of our best customers we don't quote against anyone else its a very different means of bidding when you have a great relationship where price isn't the end all. They are out there just not easy to find.

I saw that stat years ago I want to say somewhere around 12-15 was the #. You guys are kinda missing the point I'm trying to make, I'll make it simpler do you want to bid upgainst a couple shops or 10-20 shops more bidders the more time you will spend spinning your wheels with nothing to show for it. Some of our best customers we don't quote against anyone else its a very different means of bidding when you have a great relationship where price isn't the end all. They are out there just not easy to find.
I see what you are saying, and would agree, that having direct customer in most cases will always be better. I have customers as well that I don't have to quote the work against anyone, I get a PO with prints and bill T&M.

But there's no harm in utilizing other resources for work available for work, if you can get work elsewhere why not, money is money, but of course if you are sitting there week after week bidding on MFG jobs and not getting work, give up.

I've on numerous occasions been ahead of schedule or maybe waiting on a tool or material to show up, whatever the reason, had a machine open for a day, and decided to take a job or two off Xometry and make $2500 in 6-8 hours with material I had in house while my other machines are running. Money is money. Having multiple sources of income options will never hurt.

Back