What's new
What's new

Micro Motor and Controller questions

NodecoMachine

Cast Iron
Looking for advise on which micro motor controller to choose for deburring of small parts (mostly 1/2" dia X 2-1/2" long range with lots of details). I'm currently using a dremel with flex shaft for rotary work and a loud pneumatic "profiler" (UTR-30 link). We have some spending money and think updating our deburring tools to be less tedious would we a great place to spend it. I'm looking at an NSK Emax EVOlution or Espert500 because NSK has a great reputation and many accessories for these tools. Any advise on which to go with and if I should get the "compact" vs the "torque" hand pieces and also ring type vs lever type rotary attachment. I also want to get the mini-luster attachment to replace the pneumatic profiler I use. Is the mini-luster nice to use and easy to do fine detailed filing? Again, any advise on brands, handpieces, accessories, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I used Foredom and Fingst flex shaft tools for decades, but tried a 50,000 RPM micromotor around fifteen years ago for a particular job. The micromotor is fast, light and handy, so I bought more types of handpieces. I still use the flex shaft tools for some things.

NSK is an excellent and expensive maker. I use several Marathon (Korea) micromotors, equally excellent and less expensive. I have had them for many years and never had a problem with them. I do not use them every day though. I call my Marathon Handy 700 my thousand dollar Dremel because some sellers get about $1000 for them. It has a 50,000 RPM brushless handpiece that can use collets for burs with up to 1/8" shanks. The controller has a second outlet to allow a second handpiece to be connected and a switch selects which handpiece is in use. The controller has a max RPM setting in case you want to run a larger diameter tool at less than the highest speed that the handpiece is capable of. The foot pedal varies the speed from zero to the max setting. I have several less expensive Marathon 35,000 RPM handpieces that only take 3/32" long shank tools. One has a contra angle end for RA type dental burs. These lower cost handpieces can be bought on eBay for amazingly low cost and include a simple controller. I only use my 700 controller.

The 700 is sold by tool dealers, some with Foredom or other brand names, for high prices. I got mine years ago from Lion Dental Supply and see their price today is $729, but the extra 1/16" and 1/8" collets are sold separately. Dental labs generally only use 3/32" long shank tools originally designed for use in belt driven "lab engines."

Here is the Foredom-badged version of the 700 for $1080. They have the optional 1/8" collet for sale.

EBay listings for the lower cost Marathon units. Search for Marathon micromotor.

For filing, I have Engis Di-Profil (Sweden) tools, which are pretty good. I use the flex shaft model.

The picture shows some of the investment castings that prompted me to buy the Handy 500 for the cleanup work. I was able to use the Di-Profil for a little bit of the job, but 50,000 RPM and tiny carbide burs were the thing for all those tiny openings.

Larry

Bank Teller 13.JPG

Last edited:
NSK Evo user here and it is excellent. Highly recommend.

I use a standard handpiece (not high torque) with the lever.
Do you find yourself wanting a little more power or rpms sometimes while using it? It seems like maybe I'll save some money on going with the Evo and could get a couple attachments or even a second handpiece with the savings. How often are you at max rpm when doing standard deburring?

Do you find yourself wanting a little more power or rpms sometimes while using it? It seems like maybe I'll save some money on going with the Evo and could get a couple attachments or even a second handpiece with the savings. How often are you at max rpm when doing standard deburring?
I don't think I've ever stalled the unit. Torque hasn't been an issue. I adjust the speed depending on the material and tooling and haven't wanted a higher RPM thus far. Been meaning to get a high torque spindle and the belt sander attachment. It's an expensive rig no doubt but I wish I would have purchased it 15 years ago. Blows everything else I've used out of the water but like anything else lots of ways to solve a problem. Those Marathon units look good too and I almost went that route but couldn't get over the feel of the NSK handpiece.

Back