What's new
What's new

Mid-April 2022 news story on metals trading

Sorta looks like this thread is a clumsy attempt at a 'sting' op to draw people in for suspension.

Reckon you might right.

However, a betting man might say.

BUwm.gif

Maybe someday you'll graduate to young adult novels. Keep a dictionary at hand...

If I do I will recommend the ones that I enjoy so that you can start learning too. Ask mummy to buy you some crayons so that you can start colouring your pictures.

Just a warning since it wasn't posted in that thread...

Do NOT export military equipment from the US without an export permit. No body armor, optics, ammunition feeding devices or anything else that you may assume could be useful for military purposes.
ITAR violations are nothing to fool around with.

So, back on track with this - Milly in the time you typed your usual insults, you could have googled as this was/is all over the news. Months ago :rolleyes5:
If you read before responding, you'd see that the link I provided
A Chinese nickel titan is staring down an $8 billion trading loss as a short squeeze sends the metal soaring, new report says | Business Insider India

is sourced from the WSJ
Chinese Nickel Giant Tsingshan Faces $8 Billion Trading Loss as Ukraine War Upends Market - WSJ

Then IF you cared to do a quick 10 second search, you'd find this
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ant-secures-bank-lifelines-after-epic-squeeze

and this
Chinese tycoon'''s '''big short''' on nickel trips up Tsingshan'''s miracle growth | Reuters

So whether those are "reputable" enough for you who knows?
And the main bank bailing out (China Construction Bank) is majority state owned

Shades of the Hunt brothers. Just a different metal.

Shades of the Hunt brothers. Just a different metal.

Can't say if it's like the Hunt Brothers but the whole silver market thing made me a whole LOT of money. Can't imagine the mountain of silverware, silver candlesticks, silver coins, silver anything went to the smelter. Was a long time ago but remember a huge pile of nickels that sent way over face value due to some silver in the coin.

Without looking it up---somewhere around 1980 maybe?

Can't say if it's like the Hunt Brothers but the whole silver market thing made me a whole LOT of money. Can't imagine the mountain of silverware, silver candlesticks, silver coins, silver anything went to the smelter. Was a long time ago but remember a huge pile of nickels that sent way over face value due to some silver in the coin.

I think so. I benefited from it as I was hoarding silver coins as a kid. Being a 19 year old I dumped about $4k of it
into my car. I think silver was up to $30 an ounce back then.

Sounds about right. I still have my war nickels and other silver from my days of peddling Grit newspapers. Some of the old timers would pay me with silver and tell me to keep them safe as they weren't making them anymore from silver. I took their advice and kept it all and became an avid numismatist.

Many years later I acquired a 1923 hundred dollar bill. Brought it to a coin show and showed it to one of the dealers. He told me that he'd give me $95 for it. I looked at him like he was crazy and he told me that every year that I kept it I was losing about 5% on it from inflation. I still have it many decades later. He was probably right but it never broke me.

Back