What's new
What's new

Mikron WF1 overhaul done the right way

Mikron overhaul

Hi Alex- I enjoyed your slide show with narration . Thanks for taking the time to share you hard work.

Markus

Brilliant restoration, I admire the skill and attention to detail involved.
Kees, did you do the restoration work or only post the video.

Reason I ask is because coincidentally I am about to embark on a similar project with a WF1 this winter.
However I don't have the level of skill, facilities or patience to do such a precision job of scraping slides to within such fine tolerances.
But I am sure to have some questions along the way.

I do have is the same issue with a broken quill clamp casting, which would appear to be a design issue with the early machines
and changed on the later WF2 when they went to the SK40 taper.

My machine had a crude repair by the previous owners which did not work and seized the quill completely.
I intend to cut off the lower clamping section completely and replace it with a new steel clamping unit secured to the nose section of the head.
Fortunately there is plenty of thickness in the casting to take a register and securing bolts.

I will post my progress which may be of use to other Mikron owners on the forum.

Ciao Adrian.

Attachments

• WP_20180828_001.jpg
    WP_20180828_001.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Well It seems I sold 2 WF1`s with the same problem :D
I checked my e-mail as I new this person did contact me with this video in april this year
I did send him a E-mail with a invitation to join us here and give some comments
We all like to learn

Peter

Brilliant restoration, I admire the skill and attention to detail involved.
Kees, did you do the restoration work or only post the video.

Reason I ask is because coincidentally I am about to embark on a similar project with a WF1 this winter.
However I don't have the level of skill, facilities or patience to do such a precision job of scraping slides to within such fine tolerances.
But I am sure to have some questions along the way.

I do have is the same issue with a broken quill clamp casting, which would appear to be a design issue with the early machines
and changed on the later WF2 when they went to the SK40 taper.

My machine had a crude repair by the previous owners which did not work and seized the quill completely.
I intend to cut off the lower clamping section completely and replace it with a new steel clamping unit secured to the nose section of the head.
Fortunately there is plenty of thickness in the casting to take a register and securing bolts.

I will post my progress which may be of use to other Mikron owners on the forum.

Ciao Adrian.
Adrian, I am glad to see the quill clamp casting on the WF2 is better and wonder what other improvements were made on the WF2. It seems that in dimensions and functions the WF1 and the WF2 are almost identical.
Thanks, Adam

Adrian, I am glad to see the quill clamp casting on the WF2 is better and wonder what other improvements were made on the WF2. It seems that in dimensions and functions the WF1 and the WF2 are almost identical.
Thanks, Adam
Hello Adam
As far as I am aware the dimensions and spindle speeds of the WF1 and WF2 are the same.

The WF1 was originally designed and made by Wilhelm Grupp in Switzerland. They were taken over by Mikron and the machine was reworked and called the WF2, together with new larger machines in the range.

There are some minor changes between the two machines.The vertical head was beefed up to take the SK40 spindle together with a chain adjuster on the Z axis drive assembly.

The rapid clutch assembly was changed from a large single plate to multiple smaller ones, however the lever still needs a lot of force to engage, which is why it’s so long. There are probably some other minor tweaks to correct original design errors on the WF1, but nothing I has noticed so far.

Do you have or about the buy a WF machine, unfortunately there is not much technical information around on the forum or web unlike Deckel machines which are very well covered on both.

Ciao Adrian.

Hello Adam
As far as I am aware the dimensions and spindle speeds of the WF1 and WF2 are the same.

The WF1 was originally designed and made by Wilhelm Grupp in Switzerland. They were taken over by Mikron and the machine was reworked and called the WF2, together with new larger machines in the range.

There are some minor changes between the two machines.The vertical head was beefed up to take the SK40 spindle together with a chain adjuster on the Z axis drive assembly.

The rapid clutch assembly was changed from a large single plate to multiple smaller ones, however the lever still needs a lot of force to engage, which is why it’s so long. There are probably some other minor tweaks to correct original design errors on the WF1, but nothing I has noticed so far.

Do you have or about the buy a WF machine, unfortunately there is not much technical information around on the forum or web unlike Deckel machines which are very well covered on both.

Ciao Adrian.
Hi Adrian,
Many thanks. I do own a WF2 with instruction manual and brochures, but no info on the WF1 other than a German instruction manual of the Wilhelm Gruppe WF1. If I can be of any help to you on the WF2 please let me know. One obvious difference is my WF2 has centralised lubrication for ways which is nice, but I think that was an optional extra for the WF2 in 1977 and not standard. Also the WF2 has 63mm quill travel whereas the WF1 I believe has slightly less travel at 50mm. Kind regards,
Adam

Last edited:
Interestingly there was a WF2 which came up for auction in the UK recently, unfortunately it was an inch machine and it looked somewhat scruffy. I was keeping a eye on it but forgot and missed the auction.

If you have a manual for the WF2 Adam I would be very grateful for a copy as it's close enough for the WF1. I have been struggling with a Russian copy which is a photo copy of a photo copy. If it’s in PDF form great if not I can pay for any copying required.

Easiest way is for me to send you my email address through the personal message section of the forum and you can reply likewise.

So far I’m slowly putting the machine back together after the refurbishment but it’s been a long haul. Although there is no hurry as I have a perfectly restored Deckel FP1 I use.

Thanks Adrian.

Attachments

• WP_20210506_006.jpg
    WP_20210506_006.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20201025_013.jpg
    WP_20201025_013.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 21
  • WP_20201016_004.jpg
    WP_20201016_004.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Interestingly there was a WF2 which came up for auction in the UK recently, unfortunately it was an inch machine and it looked somewhat scruffy. I was keeping a eye on it but forgot and missed the auction.

If you have a manual for the WF2 Adam I would be very grateful for a copy as it's close enough for the WF1. I have been struggling with a Russian copy which is a photo copy of a photo copy. If it’s in PDF form great if not I can pay for any copying required.

Easiest way is for me to send you my email address through the personal message section of the forum and you can reply likewise.

So far I’m slowly putting the machine back together after the refurbishment but it’s been a long haul. Although there is no hurry as I have a perfectly restored Deckel FP1 I use.

Thanks Adrian.
Adrian

You still do not know about that French forum with littary thousands of manuals???
Shame on you :D
Also from the WF1 Even 2
https://passion-usinages.forumgratuit.org/t6771-mikron-wf1-wilhelm-grupp-wf1

Peter

Thank you Peter I have been using this site for some time, as you say they have the WF1 and WF2 manuals which I have, but unfortunately they are in German and being a Brit a manual in English would be nice. Here on monkey island we not very good with languages unlike you Europeans.

By the way I asked you some time ago about some X and Z wipers for the WF1 machine I bought from you. I seem to remember you said you may have a supplier who could help.

Thanks Adrian.

Thank you Peter I have been using this site for some time, as you say they have the WF1 and WF2 manuals which I have, but unfortunately they are in German and being a Brit a manual in English would be nice. Here on monkey island we not very good with languages unlike you Europeans.

By the way I asked you some time ago about some X and Z wipers for the WF1 machine I bought from you. I seem to remember you said you may have a supplier who could help.

Thanks Adrian.
Not wipers Bellows
Those I order in China
I look up the address But you have to make a drawing

Peter

Adrian, I will dig out my WF2 English manual and scan it into a pdf file and email it to you and I should also put it on [email protected] file database. The manual is nicely extensive which of course is great but even in pdf I suspect will be many mb.
Your WF1 restoration photos look fabulous.
Adam

I really appreciate the parts where he shows and explains the use of his jigs for scraping surfaces parallel and coplanar.

Thanks Adrian.
Where in Kent are you Adrian? I am in Gravesend and I am half way through rebuilding a FN22.

Where in Kent are you Adrian? I am in Gravesend and I am half way through rebuilding a FN22.
Hello Peter, I think we have spoken before on the forum. I live not far from you, just down the road near Brands Hatch.

How are you finding manuals showing assembly details for the FN22. I was spoilt with my Deckel doing the refurbishment with loads of drawings and help on the forum. The Mikron does not seem to have a similar knowledge base on the forum and expect it's the same for the TOS machine.

regards Adrian.

Adrian, I will dig out my WF2 English manual and scan it into a pdf file and email it to you and I should also put it on [email protected] file database. The manual is nicely extensive which of course is great but even in pdf I suspect will be many mb.
Your WF1 restoration photos look fabulous.
Adam
Hello Adam

Going through the manuals you kindly sent I have managed to clear up the mystery of the Y axis rear gearbox oil. In the English and the Russian manual I have been using it recommends using DTE11 which is ISO15. I think this is too thin for gearboxes, I dug out the German manual and it says DTE Medium which is an ISO46 oil and more suitable.

I just thought I let you know in case you use DTE11 on your machine.

All the best Adrian.

Attachments

• A-Temp.JPG
    A-Temp.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Hello Peter, I think we have spoken before on the forum. I live not far from you, just down the road near Brands Hatch.

How are you finding manuals showing assembly details for the FN22. I was spoilt with my Deckel doing the refurbishment with loads of drawings and help on the forum. The Mikron does not seem to have a similar knowledge base on the forum and expect it's the same for the TOS machine.

regards Adrian.

I have manuals in German and Czech which contain a lot of pictographic info as well as text. I have tried to use my smartphone to translate the odd bit with limited success.

Back