What's new
What's new

Miller XRA aluminum MIG wire feeder worth?

Eric A P

Plastic
Many years ago I made a few trades and wound up with a Miller XRA AL wire feeder with one working gun and a second partial gun for parts. It was hooked up to a Thermalarc 4000 multi process power source and the one time I tried it the thing worked fine. Weld just sucked because I unknowingly was using Argon/CO2 instead of straight Argon. Fast forward to now and someone at work decided the Thermalarc needed killed, so no more power source. I have a Primeweld AC/DC TIG now so not much use for the Miller and was thinking of selling it. Prices are all over the place and few seem to be selling. Any advice? Fair price, where to advertise, any demand for them? Asked a couple local fab shop guys if they wanted to make an offer and had no interest at all.

I know a bunch of people that have aluminum MIG setups, but not a single one that uses it.
(2) shops I know have them, one does aluminum dump truck/trailer repairs about 4 times a year.
Other shop makes fixtures from 2" thick plate.

This came out of a local factory that makes hydraulic tanks and fuel tanks for trucks, mainly polished diamond plate. It seems more suited for production, in that you aren't swapping out the small spoolgun rolls and can run the large rolls all day long. OTOH, if buying used at the right price I would think even a small fab shop that does AL could put it to work.

Way to much trouble to get it set up for a small job or once in a while use, production use is what its for. Anyone doing production work is going to buy new. You may get a few bucks for it but you are not going to get rich.

I had one for many years, bought it for an aluminum job where we were using it every day for a year and a half. Its very convenient for what its made for, but most shops dont need one. After it sat unused for 3 or 4 years, I sold it. I got around 2 grand for it. At the time of sale, a new one was about $4000. for what I had- I bought it new, and it was very clean. Looks like today they are around $4500. So, my guess is its worth $1500 to $2000 depending on location and condition. I live in an area with a lot of aluminum boatbuilders, probably 40 shops within a 100 miles, so that may have increased demand,and hence value.

Not looking to finance my retirement on it, although not opposed to that either! Right now it's just taking up space and gathering dust at my workplace, would rather it had a good home where it is useful once again. Might throw it on Craigslist and Facebook in your area Ries. Just gotta get it cleaned up and take some pics.

most go now to a push pull gun, and leave it set up instead of having it seperate and the old huge clunky wire feeders and guns that go with them. everyone wants the new lightweight stuff, as it gets heavy after 10 hrs welding all day.

Looks like I sold a similar setup for $900 back in 2015.

Someone from Ohio came down to get it and was happy.

You might try to list on WeldingWeb in addition to CL and FB. Aim high, someone will offer less anyway.

We have a 350P and alumnapro set up for aluminum. I wouldn't want to weld al without pulse anymore...but someone doing thick stuff may not care.

I know a bunch of people that have aluminum MIG setups, but not a single one that uses it.
Can't imagine how it's possible. I'm a fan of MIG welding and got this one.
I consider aluminum works to be one of the most difficult, and I need jewelry accuracy

Last edited:

Back