What's new
What's new

milling axial face metric o-ring groove

kyled159

Plastic
Hi everyone,

I could use some help both designing an axial face metric o-ring groove and solutions to actually machine this feature. I have looked at the Parker O-Ring Handbook and do not see the gland design specifications for this size o-ring and/or do not understand how to find the information using it. I understand that it should be a square groove and there should be about 15% crush. What does that mean? 15% of cs dia. removed from groove depth and added to groove width?

O-ring dimensions are as follows:
17mm ID (0.6693in)
19mm OD (0.7480in)
1mm cross section (0.0394in)
high-temp silicone

1. Groove depth?
2. Groove width?
3. Groove ID/OD?

https://www.parker.com/content/dam/Parker-com/Literature/O-Ring-Division-Literature/ORD-5700.pdf

The next issue is what tooling should I use to actually machine this feature? It is almost 1in depth inside the part with a wall right next to it. The drawing is currently calling for a ball endmill but that should change. A square endmill would need at least 1in stickout and at .0394in+ dia. that seems like a ridiculous amount of deflection. Most endmills I've seen that size are only 1.5in OAL. I don't think that would work? I have attached a detail drawing.

I would like to use a boring bar or trepan tool but don't know where to begin to source this tooling.

If you have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• Section2 Analysis.jpg
    Section2 Analysis.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 29
This is being done on a Tormach 770M mill if possible. I just talked to a custom tool maker about stopping in to have something made. And I was also just looking at iscar internal face grooving tools. I suppose I can machine everything and then send it off to have this feature made if it needs to be put in a lathe.

It is for an air sealed surface. We use gases such as He, HeOX, HeCH4, etc.

Thank you for the suggestion!

Horn USA has carbide face grooving tools and carbide shanks that work well in lathes. Taylor made for grooves like this. I suspect they'd work well in a good boring head.

Hi everyone,

I could use some help both designing an axial face metric o-ring groove and solutions to actually machine this feature. I have looked at the Parker O-Ring Handbook and do not see the gland design specifications for this size o-ring and/or do not understand how to find the information using it. I understand that it should be a square groove and there should be about 15% crush. What does that mean? 15% of cs dia. removed from groove depth and added to groove width?
https://www.parker.com/content/dam/Parker-com/Literature/O-Ring-Division-Literature/ORD-5700.pdf

It is all in there, but I'll grant that ORD-5700 is not easy to follow. So deeper study is needed. If you can find a local expert, it will go quicker.

It is all in there, but I'll grant that ORD-5700 is not easy to follow. So deeper study is needed. If you can find a local expert, it will go quicker.
Haha you're right, looks like I have some late night reading......

Can anyone ballpark what you would dimension this groove? 0.045" width x 0.0335" depth?

Back