What's new
What's new

Milling Eccentric tech?

New manufacturing methods are absolutely an area where disruptive technology is being ignored by many (most?) companies.

Maybe, but, and not to rain on anyone's parade, but

Nothing that any of you guys are discussing ITT is new or disruptive...

Contouring heads have been in common use everywhere for almost as long as there have been CNC horizontals to fit them to, as made by D'Andrea and Cogsdill etc. Now we get machines with U axis XYE interpolation to do the same thing, as pioneered 30+ years ago by Toshiba and others. Contouring heads are still faster, but the integration is much more complicated.

Brake calipers piston bores are machined with a fairly simple 90deg co-ax aggregate with shallow reamer heads on either side. Brembo are hardly the only ones doing it...

Mapal have been making complex form tools for many decades...

No, but its still a good subject matter.
I have had companies want me to sing an NDA before they gave us parts to machine, because they were going to tell us proprietary
fixturing and processes for machining them, was like ok:rolleyes5:
Come to find out, their process was just standard machining practice, and I changed the process anyway.
One time all it was, was having a shape in a tool holder, that you dialed in with the spindle indexed, and broached with it, hahaha

I have had companies want me to sing an NDA before they gave us parts to machine, because they were going to tell us proprietary
Come to find out, their process was just standard machining practice, and I changed the process anyway.
One time all it was, was having a shape in a tool holder, that you dialed in with the spindle indexed, and broached with it, hahaha
We can certainly agree that it's interesting :)

Contouring heads have been in common use everywhere for almost as long as there have been CNC horizontals to fit them to, as made by D'Andrea and Cogsdill etc. Now we get machines with U axis XYE interpolation to do the same thing, as pioneered 30+ years ago by Toshiba and others. Contouring heads are still faster, but the integration is much more complicated....
Yep, about 30 years ago I bought a used HBM out of a shop that machined parts for GE gas turbines. They had been building their own contouring heads for many years where the head was bolted to the spindle nose and the cross slide was driven by the quill. With a combination of Z and W moves they profiled bores in parts that were not suitable for machining in their VTLs.

Maybe not of the things pictured but, industry cross-over often doesn't happen. I saw something at the recent Westec that's being used for tooling that is patented in another industry for a different use. The form, scale and everything is nearly identical. Some idea that is common to one may be a breakthrough in another.

The contouring head thing is specialized, yes. Finding a shop who has that capability would be tough but, my previous employer had deep pockets. If we needed it, we needed it.

Form tools? Yeah, not rocket surgery but interesting as hell from a cycle time perspective and super-specialized.

Brake calipers piston bores are machined with a fairly simple 90deg co-ax aggregate with shallow reamer heads on either side. Brembo are hardly the only ones doing it...
This is where I have to draw the line. I need pictures or a vendor who sells it before I believe that. Everyone waves their hands and says "fairly simple..". Yamaha Motor Corporation and likely Nissin have been doing monoblock calipers with threaded access caps in one side for probably 20 years. If they could have used a "fairly simple" method to eliminate those caps, they would have. Not saying you're wrong but, all the research I did on this subject was a pure dead end and nobody at Brembo wants to talk about it.

Reminds me of the alt.mach.cnc days when some yahoo came out saying his shop developed the use of double back tape to hold parts, and anybody else doing it needed to stop infringing on their IP.

Lol, what would you rather believe, they're bored by magic?
No, you say it's basic technology. Yes, somebody designed and made it. There were a lot of problems to solve between waving hands and production calipers. What does that something look like? Real pictures, not some sketch. Brembo is protecting that process for a reason. The bores aren't "just cast in and finished". They make them from billet too. If there's some cutter head out there that can be bought to do that, I've sure not been able to find it.

No, you say it's basic technology. Yes, somebody designed and made it. There were a lot of problems to solve between waving hands and production calipers. What does that something look like? Real pictures, not some sketch. Brembo is protecting that process for a reason. The bores aren't "just cast in and finished". They make them from billet too. If there's some cutter head out there that can be bought to do that, I've sure not been able to find it.
I'm sure it's a purpose built tool, but it's hardly rocket surgery.

A flat profile angle head could easily reach in there to interpolate if it had to come out from solid.

Use your imagination. There are much more challenging parts and features being cut out there with aggregate heads than brake calipers...

I'm sure it's a purpose built tool, but it's hardly rocket surgery.

A flat profile angle head could easily reach in there to interpolate if it had to come out from solid.

Use your imagination. There are much more challenging parts and features being cut out there with aggregate heads than brake calipers...
If you look at one of those calipers, the depth of the piston pocket is quite a bit deeper than the slot width for the entire cutter body to fit through. It's not a simple problem.

I was arguing this as an example to 20 senior vice presidents that manufacturing methods were just as important to purse design-wise as the product designs themselves. If an engineer comes up with some super-duper, trade-secret way of making something, it gives the company the same (or more) of a competitive advantage than just the final product.

If you look at one of those calipers, the depth of the piston pocket is quite a bit deeper than the slot width for the entire cutter body to fit through. It's not a simple problem.
No it isn't, there's plenty of room, I was changing the pads in the Brembo Stylemas on my KTM last night.
This is a pic stolen from the web of the calliper underside.
Also AP racing and Wilwood make similar monobloc's, probably others too.
brembo.jpg

No it isn't, there's plenty of room, I was changing the pads in the Brembo Stylemas on my KTM last night.
This is a pic stolen from the web of the calliper underside.
Also AP racing and Wilwood make similar monobloc's, probably others too.
That wasn't what the one I found looked like. We're going back ten years when I did this research and all the pictures were left on my work computer.

Doesn't matter: even for that one, where do we buy the cutter head to do those features?

That wasn't what the one I found looked like. We're going back ten years when I did this research and all the pictures were left on my work computer.

Doesn't matter: even for that one, where do we buy the cutter head to do those features?

You're a stuck record dude.

You don't buy, you make - or you have one of the usual suspects make for you. They all do customs. Alberti, OMG, Gerardi, Benz, etc.
I have a custom order Alberti dual angle adjustable, modified to a Schaublin ECR output spindle.

In fact, OMG have a gallery of special orders on their site that you can look at for inspiration: https://www.omgnet.eu/ta-gallery-n63&IdCatProdotto=1

Back