What's new
What's new

Milltronics dps issue / error 449

gunghomachinist

Plastic
I am currently trying to power up a Milltronics vm15. I am having trouble getting my digital phase shifter to work on my vmc. I am measuring 245v on 2 legs and 1.5v on the 3rd leg. I am assuming I am either not getting the dps to fire cause I am errored out with a 449 code. I also have noted that the estop won't reset.

Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated!🙏 thanks in advance

Most Milltronics machines will run in single phase, what is your spindle motor hp? I run my Partner 4 which is 5hp on single phase and my son runs two Partner 1 machines with 7.5/10hp motors on single phase.

Regardless of that, if you aren't getting voltage on all three legs, your phase converter isn't working properly, so investigate that first. You never want the manufactured leg on a specific leg, if I remember correctly, that's L2.

Most Milltronics machines will run in single phase, what is your spindle motor hp? I run my Partner 4 which is 5hp on single phase and my son runs two Partner 1 machines with 7.5/10hp motors on single phase.

Regardless of that, if you aren't getting voltage on all three legs, your phase converter isn't working properly, so investigate that first. You never want the manufactured leg on a specific leg, if I remember correctly, that's L2.
Ya my machine has a 12hp motor but ya the phase converter requires a draw of power to get the 3rd leg and I don't know how to draw power through the power block. I believe I need a different phase converter now. Don't know if I'm able to do single phase 240 but that sounds like a power drop in spindle POWA so light cuts only?

I ran Milltronics machines on single phase for years. Will not work with the Inline series machines, they MUST run on 3 phase or Phase perfect brand converter. You can run on Roto Phase - put wild leg (generated leg) on L2 240 std legs on L1 and L3. Check the VM15 you have has yaskawa Drives and probably a Cent 6 CNC controller (cent 7 could work too, not sure) I don't think any of the more mordern machines with the 7200 or 8200 CNC controller will run single phase.

What you are calling a digital phase shifter, is what I would call a "static" phase converter (small silver box with a red light in the middle?) - If this is the case it will absolutely NOT work.

Call Milltronics tech support - Have your SN# handy and they can tell you for sure.

It's a Korean myungyuon my dps 20 and it definitely won't work unless some magic happens basically... I talked to milltronics and a service tech of the dps company to find out a big No you can't do that. Thanks everyone for the help! Basically a milltronics needs a 3phase incoming power to make the drive happy on startup. I basically get locked out cause drive won't fire up. I talked to the milltronics guy about a single phase option and he said it would cut my power in half which isn't a good answer for me. I just wanted to give all the info I could for the next poor soul trying this route. Phase perfect is the only option for me basically which is about 10x the cost so be ready.

As for 1/2 the spindle power, probably not, kind of depends on what VFD is in the machine. Historically Milltronics used pretty oversize VFD's, my 5hp spindle had a 7.5-10hp VFD, which when you run single phase input you loose maybe 25% to 50% depending on the brand of VFD. So in my case, I lost maybe a small percentage, but nothing like 50%.

The Partner 1's my son has have 10hp with 15hp at a lower duty cycle VFD's, and again, running on single phase you might loose a little bit on the 7.5hp spindle motor.

It doesn't cost anything to try it, and then if you are not happy with the power, get the Phase Perfect, it's the best way around it anyway.

As for 1/2 the spindle power, probably not, kind of depends on what VFD is in the machine. Historically Milltronics used pretty oversize VFD's, my 5hp spindle had a 7.5-10hp VFD, which when you run single phase input you loose maybe 25% to 50% depending on the brand of VFD. So in my case, I lost maybe a small percentage, but nothing like 50%.

The Partner 1's my son has have 10hp with 15hp at a lower duty cycle VFD's, and again, running on single phase you might loose a little bit on the 7.5hp spindle motor.

It doesn't cost anything to try it, and then if you are not happy with the power, get the Phase Perfect, it's the best way around it anyway.
I am trying to understand this tbh. Your saying just run 3 single phase lines to my machine with 2 breakers? 1 breaker for legs 1 ,3 and a separate breaker for leg 2 ? I can't generate 3 legs with my current setup. I'm seeing 245 l1 , l3 , 1.5 l2.

It might help to post what year machine your have, what controller and DC or AC drives.
Somewhere around y2k they changed from DC to AC drives.
I have am MB-19 that gave me fits for a minute trying to so gle phase it but we'll get to that later.
On a lot of the "older" milltronics the only thing you have to do it run your single phase lines into the L1 and L3 terminals kn the top side of your power switch.
Below the power switch take the L2 line and move it into the L1 terminal along with the L1 line.
This seems to work for most everyone.
On my machine (post y2k AC drive) I kept getting an axis fault error that even milltonocs couldn't figure out.
My servopacks are SGDB-10ADG's.
The L1, L2 and L3 lines correspond to R,S and T on the servopack incoming power.
My machine did not like the R and S feeds being on the same phase.
I had to disconnect the L2 line going j to the S terminal and jumper the L3(T) terminal over to the L2(S) terminal. For some reason that made it happy.
Going from memory from several years ago so don't quote what I did at the servopacks as gospel truth.
I had to do no changes on the spindle drive side.

Good point sir, I have a 2006 milltronics vm-15. Ya I'm working with ac drives as far as I know. I believe it comes in ac converts to DC then back to ac.

Attachments

• 20230622_214640.jpg
    20230622_214640.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 20230622_214644.jpg
    20230622_214644.jpg
    887.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20230622_214659.jpg
    20230622_214659.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1
From what I'm seeing online, you can run the Yaskawa servo drives on single phase, but I would verify that with Yaskawa. Your VFD is only 7.5kw, which is 10hp, which makes me suspect that you don't have 12hp spindle motor, at least not rate for 100% duty cycle, may be one of those situations where it's a 10hp motor with 12hp for 20 minute duty cycle or something.

As Welder boy said, you hook up the incoming two single phase leads on L1 and L3 and you might have to jumper as he said.

Simplest and safest is to get a 10hp Phase perfect and then you shouldn't have any troubles, going to cost you $3133 brand new. Part of the cost of doing business...

I do not have a rst in my schematic :(. I have uvw is that similar? I tried single phase to L1, L3 taking L2 out on top then taking L2 to L1 on bottom of power block. I am still seeing the error 449.

I tried the swapping v to w line on the servo packs that didn't help either. I appreciate all the attempts everyone. Looks like I'm gonna buy the phase perfect.

Back