What's new
What's new

Milwaukee mill

Joe Henderson

Aluminum
My grandson came into an old Milwaukee mill. It only has Milwaukee cast in the machine casting at the top. Usually they have the model cast in above the name. I can’t find anything except a brass plate that has patent dates. The latest date is 1928.

Attachments

• DC1C9D3A-A3DF-4567-9D11-57B7597F2960.jpeg
    DC1C9D3A-A3DF-4567-9D11-57B7597F2960.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 53
My grandson came into an old Milwaukee mill. It only has Milwaukee cast in the machine casting at the top. Usually they have the model cast in above the name. I can’t find anything except a brass plate that has patent dates. The latest date is 1928.
Here is the '17 catalog that might be useful

This older catalog shows the feed changes on rear of column. Your later example may have the feed change controls nearer front - can't tell from photo

I'd suppose its a horizontal with a vertical head attachment. If you find a four digit number stamped into machined cast iron that will likely be the lot number which can be used to date the machine. A 1929 lot number would be about 1540

Here is someone's photo of rear-of-column feed controls

Attachments

• Older KT Feed Selction C.jpg
    Older KT Feed Selction C.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thanks much John. I haven't found a serial number yet. He got two machines. The mill which I think does have the feed changes on the back but there are no numbers at all to indicate what is what. I once had a Milwaukee 2HL but this machine is much bigger and much older.

The other machine is a monarch 12 CK. Both machines have been sitting idle for many years. They are rusted in some places. The monarch is what we're trying to clean up now. The spindle turns free. It has a Cam missing on the spindle. Not sure what to do about that. Haven't taken the 10" four jaw off yet. The tailstock ram is stuck. The bed is cleaning up ok for the most part. At some point they took off the taper attachment and the cross feed screw is rusted. I can probably make another one. It won't work either. The compound is stuck and the tool slide has about 1/3 broken off on the right side. I imagine someone was trying to machine something really long and had a crash. It would be a nice little machine if we can get it fixed. I also had a Monarch 16 CW once and sold it and the mill when we decided to move to east Texas. Wish I'd kept them both. Thanks for the help.

Back