What's new
What's new

Mini Lathe Identification (Australia)

Foetusmachine

Plastic
Hi All,

New here, but I think this is the right place to post, looking for a machine identification.

My father has been given an old mini-lathe and i'd like to identify it.

We know there are components missing, but this is basically all there is with the machine.

The only locale information I have that may possible help is that the machine is in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia.

Any help you could provide would be welcome.

IMG_20220404_080811.jpg
20220403_112056.jpg
IMG_20220404_080815.jpg
20220403_112100.jpg

Possibly an early Advance?

Advance lathe

A slightly bigger Australian lathe is Brackenbury & Austin, which shares the cantilever bed, but yours is not B&A: I have one of these.

The early English Myford lathes had a similar bed, as did a number of other hobby lathes. If you can't identify it as Australian manufacture I agree with Limy Sami that it is probably of UK manufacture.

Do the fasteners have Whithworth or BSF threads? If not, it is unlikely that it is of Australian or UK manufacture.

I am fairly sure the AMH website (mentioned above) only applies to Hercus lathes and a few other Australian South Bend copies.

You could try asking here too:

Metal Work Forums

franco

Doesn't look like an Advance.
I know the really early ones were quite "industrial" looking, but I can't really see any similarities. Even the shape of the bed and frame are different.
I have no idea what it is, to be honest.
Check out www.lathes.co.uk and see if you find something similar, would be my suggestion.

Here’s my 1960’s Advance.There were some variations, but mostly they are very similar to this. They were based on the English Myford ML4.

IMG_1689.jpeg

Last edited:

Back