What's new
What's new

Mist Collector for Brothers

Nerdlinger

Stainless
Hi Everyone,

We have four Speedios that often poof out a cloud of mist upon opening the door, so I am looking at mist collectors. Yamazen suggested either an Amino MZ-15 or MJ-10. They said the cost is about the same for both but the MJ-10 is filterless. Does anyone have any recommendations for one over the other? I imagine we would go with the filterless so we don't have to....change....filters? Thank you!

I just use a centrifugal 6"duct fan. Around $200 and you're good to go. I did a thread a while ago on my ventilation system.

I bench tested my fan by blowing mist into it with a paint gun and nothing came out the other end. I doubt anyone will have that much mist at the fan to remove. It only uses around 100 watts and is nearly silent. No filters, no maintenance, and everything it removes drains back into the machine.

Last edited:
I run 4 of these, they are the cheapest thing I could find.
I see a lot of people run them on Youboob also.(Pierson Workholding)
Mistaway

Clean twice a year, all filters can be cleaned except one, replace once a year.

Inexpensive but getter done.

A little cloud from general milling or a big cloud from high pressure TSC?
Mistaways are okay but they can't really keep up with much volume.
We have an Amano filterless on our Brother and it does fine for milling and drilling, but we also don't use TSC.
We have a Mistaway on a DT1 that runs the same parts and the operators have a big fan on top of the machine to disperse the cloud that comes out when the door opens.
A few second dwell before the door opens also goes a long way.

Sort of a tangent, but we got a coolant condenser on a new Haas instead of the mist collector and it works about half as well, would not buy again...

A little cloud from general milling or a big cloud from high pressure TSC?
Mistaways are okay but they can't really keep up with much volume.
We have an Amano filterless on our Brother and it does fine for milling and drilling, but we also don't use TSC.
We have a Mistaway on a DT1 that runs the same parts and the operators have a big fan on top of the machine to disperse the cloud that comes out when the door opens.
A few second dwell before the door opens also goes a long way.

Sort of a tangent, but we got a coolant condenser on a new Haas instead of the mist collector and it works about half as well, would not buy again...
I have on machines with HPC, not TSC, running indexables, VF2SS and DM2 Mistaway is fine, so I guess depends on the size of the oort cloud for sure.

Thanks for the tip on the condenser, wondered how well it worked.

I had a Royal Mist Creator for a while. Yeah, so you're not supposed to turn it on and off with each cycle, so it sits there and runs (and loud), forced convection through a wet box, creating more mist..

Just blow it outside. I had it where I had return air back from outside, so the enclosure is more or less part of the outside world. Centrifugal fan should reclaim some which is all the Royal is. I currently have an 8" duct booster which is just enough. It's on a switch by the machine, but will synch to machine cycles with off delay when I get some time.

We have the Amano on our R450X1, not sure exactly which model, but the machien came with it when we bought it new.
No issues other than when your head is in past the doors loading parts and whatnot you can't hear much outside of the machine because of fan howl.
We do lots of TSC on smaller drills so that creates a ton of mist but we don't notice it with the collector.

It seems most guys here just buy whatever gets them up and running quickest, but all though always short on time, I still like to try and save some $ andwas looking at making my own mist system, using restaurant grease filters and some sheet metal...still going to do it. Currently just exhausting outside, but I lose a ton of heat during the winter.

I ran into this setup the other day. Cheap and easy to make...could improve on it even with more filters.

It seems most guys here just buy whatever gets them up and running quickest, but all though always short on time, I still like to try and save some $ andwas looking at making my own mist system, using restaurant grease filters and some sheet metal...still going to do it. Currently just exhausting outside, but I lose a ton of heat during the winter.

I ran into this setup the other day. Cheap and easy to make...could improve on it even with more filters.

This is still just exhausting outside though in the video.

I have designed and built some before, by the time it worked well, and the components were good enough to replicate, it was almost if not more than just buying one.
1709139587843.png

1709139509782.png
1709139634724.png

1709139610573.png
1709139719521.png

My setup was $200 plus a couple hours for the bare bones get the crap out of my face. I lose more to evap. but good enough until I have time to fancy it up. Blowing the crap back into the shop is a losing scenario for me. I'd rather spend money on a little conditioned air lost than having my lungs finish the job.

My setup was $200 plus a couple hours for the bare bones get the crap out of my face. I lose more to evap. but good enough until I have time to fancy it up. Blowing the crap back into the shop is a losing scenario for me. I'd rather spend money on a little conditioned air lost than having my lungs finish the job.
I worked a place out in rural area, they plumbed 12" ducting though the concrete walls and just had 12" inline fans blowing it all outside, fuq it they said!

a Royal is just a loud ass fan with a little centrifuge action and a piece of foam and a drain line. I'm just missing the foam and drain line, and I use a quiet $60 fan. I was looking at HRV units for a while. Looking at the spec sheets, they really seemed like bs. Not really doing any heat exchange, might as well blow air outside and crack a window. I'm paying thousands for a fancy box that just does that.

Trimist with the ion trays and Hepa section is by far the best solution I’ve seen. Lots of flow with the fan at full speed. Uses standard Honeywell electronic air cleaner trays so they are easy to source replacements. With all these systems it’s important to give the filter trays time to drip off, can’t just leave ‘em running 24/7 or the coolant turns to goo inside. Lots of high speed indexable roughing and tsc, air comes out the machine conpletely clean. I’ve tried strictly centrifugal fans and it doesn’t remove the mist that well. Sections of the shop would still be hazy after a day of running. If you can see it in the air, it’s too late. Installed a few mist aways and other similar “filter” stack setups, all with the hepa section, filtration is ok but the airflow isn’t great.

OP, something I am looking at but have seen where people have multiple machines close to eachother and pipe them all into one larger collector. Better than spending 4x where you could just spend a bit more on one larger one.

a Royal is just a loud ass fan with a little centrifuge action and a piece of foam and a drain line. I'm just missing the foam and drain line, and I use a quiet $60 fan. I was looking at HRV units for a while. Looking at the spec sheets, they really seemed like bs. Not really doing any heat exchange, might as well blow air outside and crack a window. I'm paying thousands for a fancy box that just does that.
Axial fans will just pass the mist into your ducts, they will do a pretty good job of removing the mist before venting outside. I have direct experience with this. Centrifugal fans will keep your ducts clean since they catch everything.

I have an air to air heat exchanger that cost $1200 and use it whenever I am heating the shop, one of the best investments I have ever made. Mine is rated around 75% efficiency and is way better than cracking a window in the winter.

Thanks for the info, everyone! The mist is largely from TSC applications. The guys have fans outside the machines to try to blow the cloud(s) away from their face but it kind of just pushes it around the shop. I primarily want to simply improve the working conditions (and I can't imagine inhaling that shit is GOOD for you?) Yamazen wants about 6G's each (*installed) so it is tempting to figger something else out on our own, but it would be one thing if it was just for me but since it is for my guys I might just go with them so we can get back to work. To be continued...

Thanks for the info, everyone! The mist is largely from TSC applications. The guys have fans outside the machines to try to blow the cloud(s) away from their face but it kind of just pushes it around the shop. I primarily want to simply improve the working conditions (and I can't imagine inhaling that shit is GOOD for you?) Yamazen wants about 6G's each (*installed) so it is tempting to figger something else out on our own, but it would be one thing if it was just for me but since it is for my guys I might just go with them so we can get back to work. To be continued...

We have about a dozen or so cnc lathes, all of them we took a 6" hole saw to the side and attached the flexible hose into a system and have a big powerful blower taking it all outside.

We have about a dozen or so cnc lathes, all of them we took a 6" hole saw to the side and attached the flexible hose into a system and have a big powerful blower taking it all outside.
Depnd'n on where'n yah live that's eleegul!
Where I live it is, we have horrible air pollution, but they did it anyway's. :D

Get the fan I speak of from the link in the thread I linked to in the second post of this thread and try it out. It will cost you around $200 and only take a few minutes to bench test to prove whether it works or not. Order one now and you can have it by early next week.

Here are some links to centrifugal duct fans. I have an FR150 which is listed as 67 watts and 230 cfm on my fan, so pretty weak as they go. Here is one that interests me more for this application that is cheaper and more powerful, or get the 8" and restrict the inlet to 5 or 6 inches to improve its mist removing efficiency. And another that is even more powerful, PV150X, but I am not sure if it has the rounded inlet flange to drill holes in so it drains, more research is needed for this one. You will need to drill some drain holes in the bottom flange to let the coolant out no matter which one you get, if you try one out.

If you go this route run them continuously. My main test to decide if I am exposed to mist is looking at my glasses at the end of the day. If there are no mist droplets on them then I know I am not being exposed to mist, and my glasses never have any sign of it, even on my single table Kitamura.

Last edited:
I have an air to air heat exchanger that cost $1200 and use it whenever I am heating the shop, one of the best investments I have ever made. Mine is rated around 75% efficiency and is way better than cracking a window in the winter.
What model is that?
Depnd'n on where'n yah live that's eleegul!
Where I live it is, we have horrible air pollution, but they did it anyway's. :D
The Royal is is squirrel cage fan IIRC, piece of foam and drain port. They consider that good enough for your lungs, so it can also go outside. If you try at all to do some reclaim (good fan type, blow it into something that can catch some and drain it) I'll bet you'll be fine with the authorities. It is nice sometimes to throw money at it and make it go away. If I ran a large shop I'd be pushing hard to get it outside. My 2 cents.

Back