What's new
What's new

Mitutoyo or Acu-Rite 2 Axis DRO,.....Any Concerns with either?

hotrod1442

Plastic
In the market for a new DRO for one of our engine lathes, we had an older Heidenhain DRO on the machine, but the scales are now obsolete. Anyhow the two brands that bI have gotten quotes on are Acu-Rite, and Mitutoyo, just wondering if anyone has any helpful input as to pro/cons, factory support, etc of these units. It is my understanding that Heidenhain bought out Acu-Rite, not sure if there is any difference in quality between the 2 brands, but my price quotes are coming back in favor of the MTI.

Thanks, Dave

I use Mitutoyo with no issues and have used Heidenhain a lot. Back in the day when I was doing my apprenticeship the Accu-Rite rep lived in the Toyota stamping plant due to ongoing issues. Hopefully that has improved.

Only issue with Mit was an older one (fluorescent display) that eventually dimmed to unreadable levels.
A big plus for me with my Acu-rite is the large, raised buttons. I truly hate membrane keypads.

I run 9 Mitutoyo systems both older and newer with Flawlessly service. Great tech support as well after a major Power surge issue a few years back.

We have an older Accu-rite model on the hardinge at work, it's been a solid performer for about 20 years or so. I think we replace a scale a while ago and they were able to sell the scale and the adapter needed to go from their older connector system to the newer connector system. Good service from my perspective.

The scale was replaced as the old one wound up contaminated because chips got behind the lip seals, after 20 years of service that's not a real black eye. The one on the carriage is still going strong.

Had a pile of Acu-Rite systems at work, only had one problem, and it was the retailer/integrator's fault for putting a scale that was too short, on to a lathe cross slide, and having the read head torn off. Acu-Rite sent me the longer scale and a box with pre-printed shipping labels to return the broken mess in. Can't say a bad thing about them.

After using an Acu-Rite Vue DRO at work I went out and bought x3 myself - 2x 2 axis and 1x 3 axis. The on screen graphics sold it for me. Only down side is it has a membrane over the keys, but other than that perfect. These are connected to 5um magnetic read heads bought straight from China for 35 quid each and rewired by myself and these too work perfectly.

In the market for a new DRO for one of our engine lathes, we had an older Heidenhain DRO on the machine, but the scales are now obsolete. Anyhow the two brands that bI have gotten quotes on are Acu-Rite, and Mitutoyo, just wondering if anyone has any helpful input as to pro/cons, factory support, etc of these units. It is my understanding that Heidenhain bought out Acu-Rite, not sure if there is any difference in quality between the 2 brands, but my price quotes are coming back in favor of the MTI.

Thanks, Dave
whats wrong with the heidenhein? the old ones they make adapters for the new style scales which is cheaper then a new unit. ive also fixed mine when it failed to turn on. was just the main power board.

Have/do use both Acu-Rite and Mitutoyo. Not a bit of trouble with any of them. The Acu-Rite display unit on my surface grinder DRO, is probably from the 80's and still works perfectly. Lathe DRO is a Mitutoyo and very happy with it. Only downside to it, is it has a very limited tool library, if you're into locking your tool post/compound in place and recalling quick change tools. I think it only stores 9 or 10 tools, which seems odd given todays technology.

Back