What's new
What's new

Mobil Vactra #2 Shortage??

Not sure if it was mentioned in the thread (haven't gone through the whole thing), but there was a period where Vactra #2 was having solids settle out (paraffins coming out of solution), and it actually caused some damage to machines due to lube metering/tubing blockage.

Anyone else remember this, and have a more solid reference? I actually had some 5gal pails that had solids evident when they were nearly empty. FWIW, I will probably look for alternatives when my current stock runs out.

Was it just #2 that was short? If so and it happens again, just buy two pails close to equidistant in viscosity from 68 and mix your own. I use VG32, 68 and 220 way oils so I just buy 32 and 220 and mix them to make 68, which is #2.

Was it just #2 that was short? If so and it happens again, just buy two pails close to equidistant in viscosity from 68 and mix your own. I use VG32, 68 and 220 way oils so I just buy 32 and 220 and mix them to make 68, which is #2.
I think there's more to it than that, among other things way oil has "tackifiers" that help it stay on vertical surfaces. Or at least, that's my recollection...

I think there's more to it than that, among other things way oil has "tackifiers" that help it stay on vertical surfaces. Or at least, that's my recollection...
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend mixing VG220 way oil with VG32 hydraulic oil for that reason, but I would think that mixing two way oils from the same manufacturer (Vactra #1 and #4) is close enough.

Back